PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Doofins retaining lame duck head coach Sparano (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a huge Sparano fan, but I thought it was pretty pathetic that Dolphins owner Stephen Ross met with Jim Harbaugh to court him for the job while Sparano was still an employee.

We should be jumping up and down... anytime these fabled franchises, with their shytty fans continue to make poor decisions it is good for us.

another year of not worrying about the dolphins,

Per NFL.com main page

Meltdown on the Dolphins ESPN board ongoing :D ESPN.com: Miami Dolphins Message Board

This is one of the most idiotic, boneheaded, ridiculous, and EMBARRASSING things I have ever witnessed in any realm of sports. This guy Ross makes Al Davis look sane and rational! This is why the DOOFins are always going to suck...as long as they get dipsh!ts for owners and coaches....thank gawd for Bob Kraft and BB...every patsfan should get on their knees in a prayer of thanks.....while the doofin season ticket holders get on their knees to "take it" again for another year!! LOL.....!! Go Pats!

On a daily basis, coaches will bring in players for tryouts, often battling for a roster spot right next to the player whose job he is trying to take. Fans don't seem to have a problem with that. But when a coach is put through the SAME process....whoa...MOST disrespectful thing ever. Come on.

One of the best comments:

"We should be picking in the top 5 if Sparano returns..." :rocker:

These are good:

"It's almost like Ross just ran a wildcat play for minus 10 yards. We knew it was coming. We just hoped it wasn't."

"I'm rooting for a lockout now. Hopefully next season never comes."

Wait, has Gloria Estefan approved this decision yet?

On a daily basis, coaches will bring in players for tryouts, often battling for a roster spot right next to the player whose job he is trying to take. Fans don't seem to have a problem with that. But when a coach is put through the SAME process....whoa...MOST disrespectful thing ever. Come on.

I don't think is this the same thing. Coaches need to know who they can get
if a player on the roster gets injured. If a roster player is a marginal player
a coach may be looking for a better option.
Here you have a HEAD COACH not a marginal player. The head of the
coaching staff.
A slap in the face by the owner is not the way to go. IMO.

Last edited:
LOL, I guess the NFL needs to come up with a "Loony" Rule to prevent loony owners from keeping lousy coaches too long;)

What a farce. "We're confident that Tony is the best coach for us... now that we have publicly ruled everyone else out."

Looks like we won't have to worry about Miami in 2011. :singing:

I don't think is this the same thing. Coaches need to know who they can get
if a player on the roster gets injured. If a roster player is a marginal player
a coach may be looking for a better option.
Here you have a HEAD COACH not a marginal player. The head of the
coaching staff.
A slap in the face by the owner is not the way to go. IMO.

I don't bye the "slap on the face" arguement at all. It's business as usual in the NFL. Every year, half the coaches in the NFL are on the bubble and their names get dragged through the press. And every year, there is a 20-25% turnover in coaches. Don't believe for a second that owners and GMs aren't doing their due diligence, even if their coach remains. Just because you don't read if Jerry Jones has made contact with coaching candidates doesn't mean it's not happening. More often than not, these overtures don't get reported in the press. And just because Ross has been the most public doesn't mean he's the only owner exploring alternatives. The switch board to coach's agents and 3rd party NFL consultants is active 12 months a year. The "insiders" of the NFL is very small group and the exchange of information is business as usual. And I guarantee all the coaches on the hot seats know exactly who their owners are talking to. It's not disrespect, it's business as usual in the NFL.

What a farce. "We're confident that Tony is the best coach for us... now that we have publicly ruled everyone else out."

Looks like we won't have to worry about Miami in 2011. :singing:

Well, they did rule everyone else out. Jim Harbaugh didn't want to coach in Miami so he clearly wasn't qualified.

They are obviously planning on tanking next season with the aim on the #1 pick and Luck.

It's completely embarrassing. The owners just slapped a big Lame Duck label on the HC's head. How do you expect the players to follow you at this point. He's already lost some his players this year. It's only a matter of time when a better candidate comes in or Sparano "retires".

With so many coaching, HC/coordinator vacancies this year, there should be some kind of contract clause in coaches contract that allows them to start interviewing if the owners screws them by publicly courting other candidates.

They are obviously planning on tanking next season with the aim on the #1 pick and Luck.

It's completely embarrassing. The owners just slapped a big Lame Duck label on the HC's head. How do you expect the players to follow you at this point. He's already lost some his players this year. It's only a matter of time when a better candidate comes in or Sparano "retires".

With so many coaching, HC/coordinator vacancies this year, there should be some kind of contract clause in coaches contract that allows them to start interviewing if the owners screws them by publicly courting other candidates.

Can you explain to me why....
Sporano=tank
Harbaugh=success

And can you explain to me why....
It is important that a coach feels "important"

Can you explain to me why....
Sporano=tank
Harbaugh=success

And can you explain to me why....
It is important that a coach feels "important"

I explained it in my second paragraph. When you publicly show that you no longer have confidence in the HC, he is now a lame duck. Support from ownership is critical in a leadership role where perception plays a significant factor.

I didn't talk about Harbaugh. I'm not making any assumptions there. All I am saying is as a owner, you have to support your coach (publicly at least), if you don't, then fire the guy and get someone else in there, otherwise you cannot expect any level of success from the team.

I don't bye the "slap on the face" arguement at all. It's business as usual in the NFL. Every year, half the coaches in the NFL are on the bubble and their names get dragged through the press. And every year, there is a 20-25% turnover in coaches. Don't believe for a second that owners and GMs aren't doing their due diligence, even if their coach remains. Just because you don't read if Jerry Jones has made contact with coaching candidates doesn't mean it's not happening. More often than not, these overtures don't get reported in the press. And just because Ross has been the most public doesn't mean he's the only owner exploring alternatives. The switch board to coach's agents and 3rd party NFL consultants is active 12 months a year. The "insiders" of the NFL is very small group and the exchange of information is business as usual. And I guarantee all the coaches on the hot seats know exactly who their owners are talking to. It's not disrespect, it's business as usual in the NFL.

Disagree. Yes, there's always speculation. But that's far cry from frantically flying around the country to chase guys down, etc., when you still have a head coach.

If a team makes it that obvious they're not happy with their guy, they're inviting mutiny from the players. Idiotic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes