PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Doing the unthinkable (Steelers/Dolts)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumby

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I know, it's unthinkable to look ahead; but from only seeing the highlights of the Steelers win over Cincy I just had to think......

Manning is going to eat Pitt up.

I mean Palmer, while getting his ACL toreup, is tossing a 66 yarder on their secondary. Cincy with Kitna in there with no practice all week still goes on to score 17 pts. And Kitna tossed a number of just horrible INTs over to Pitt and they could only win by 2 scores.

I think that Pitt is going to give the Dolts a tune-up game to knock the rust off instead of a knock their blocks off kind of game that exhausts them before the AFCC game. ( Unless Pitt gets a cheap shot or two in).

I dont see anyway that a possible win in Denver gets Pats anything but a road trip to Indy. Now that is probably the best game if you want to see Pats travel the most heroic road to SB; (go over the carcasses of the toughest opponents) but it isnt the easiest route nor is it that possible home field AFCC that some guys were wishing for.

Here is to the road less traveled: 4 GAMES TO GLORY.

I certainly don't like Pittsburgh's chances, though I have to say I'll still pull for them so that the majority of the people here can go to the AFCCG whereas in Indy, I'd be there. A home game is just such an advantage I have to pull for it.

absolutely going to root for Pittsburgh.

hope they knock the snot out of each other either way.

They were going over that road one way or the other though if your discounting of Pittsburgh has any validity. If we played Pittsburgh first we'd just be more beat up than Cincy today with no shot at home field. No thanks.

Indy got up on Pittsburgh the same way Cincy did. Sooner or later Cowher is bound to notice this. Pittsburgh also attempted not to go silent in the Dome last time out. They've been practicing silent counts diligently ever since.

The key for Pittsburgh will be rattling the Colts early on defense without getting burned deep, and refusing to let their offense sputter and stall in the first half. As the game wears on if they can keep it manageable while inflicting physical punishment, they'll have a shot to win at best and inflict some damage at worst.

It was always six of one half dozen of the other - just this scenario at least had the potential for an upset AFCC game in Foxboro.

Last edited:
I must chime in to say, Michigan Dave your signature quote is absolutely one of the funniest things I have ever read. :rocker:

Im not discounting Pitts chances at all.

Indy is susceptible to 3 things IMO.

1) Another Manning no show in a playoff game
2) Their D being physically manhandled
3) They absolutely have the mindset that they have come up short in big games. There is the ability for them to have the noose tighten around their neck, and be in fear of losing one they are supposed to win, if they get behind, and tighhtening up.

Pitt has the ability to do all 3.
If they enforce their running game, it will be a physical mauling, thats what they do.
If that gets them a lead, it will make the Colts one dimensional.
The Steelers bring enough of a pass rush to disrupt Manning and have him in the "Oh no, not again" mindset.

They will have to get out to a good start, but if they own the first quarter, I like their chances.

Bella*chick said:
I must chime in to say, Michigan Dave your signature quote is absolutely one of the funniest things I have ever read. :rocker:

I aim to please! :D

I think the key for Pittsburgh has to be playing well early. Indy is a team that absolutely must get up early. Notice during their streak, they didn't trail at all, and once they get up, they feast on that momentum, and bury teams. If the Steelers can hang with Indy early, take the crowd out a bit, and play them tight, I like Pittsburgh having the intangibles to win the game in the fourth.

Terry Bradshaw Agrees

Heard Terry Bradshaw this morning on the Adam Corrolla show here in L.A.
He doesn't think Pittsburgh can win. Stated the same types of things mentioned here that Pit used too many 1 on 1 coverges that will simply not work against Manning. He even stated that if Palmer had not gotten injured, Cincy would have won the game...

AndyJohnson said:
Im not discounting Pitts chances at all.

Indy is susceptible to 3 things IMO.

1) Another Manning no show in a playoff game
2) Their D being physically manhandled
3) They absolutely have the mindset that they have come up short in big games. There is the ability for them to have the noose tighten around their neck, and be in fear of losing one they are supposed to win, if they get behind, and tighhtening up.

Pitt has the ability to do all 3.
If they enforce their running game, it will be a physical mauling, thats what they do.
If that gets them a lead, it will make the Colts one dimensional.
The Steelers bring enough of a pass rush to disrupt Manning and have him in the "Oh no, not again" mindset.

They will have to get out to a good start, but if they own the first quarter, I like their chances.

A few things to remember with the Colts. Ryan Diem (RT) is not likely to play.
Corey Siman has been banged up and Marvin Harrison has a broken hand.
Hit the Colts wr at the line of scrimmage and go after Diem.

I want the Colts. I want them in their house. The only thing
the Pats haven't done is beat those weasels in their house
in a playoff game. After Tom Brady lights them up and defeats
P.Manning and the Colts. There will be no discussion on whom is
the best qb in the NFL. Like Montana and Marino. All of the
stat guys gushed over Marino. Joe Cool just won Super Bowls.
20 years later. History doesn't put him in Montana's league. The
same things will be written about Brady and P.Manning.

pats fan in PA ...you are not a patriot..you are a hateriot...and I would not worry about the colts..Denver is your next opponent and the road will come through us at the dome..we will not choke like Cincinnati...we will win...I hope to see you but you must survive will possibly be Denver too...because you fear them more than us..and they fear us more than you..and we use to fear your team..but no more.

I have no expectation of the Steelers winning but if you can pressure Manning and also run the ball to keep the Colts' offense on the sideline, you certainly have a chance. And Pittsburgh can do both of those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back