PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ot: Dish Network/ Nfl Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloud34

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I was going to put this in the thread regarding Direct TV, but thought it might get lost in there. I have Dish Network. As of today, July 8th, I do not get the NFL network, as it is not available on DISH. As I skimmed through my Sporting News today, I noticed a very interesting little blurb. It says and I quote,........... "NFL NETWORK continued to expand its footprint last week with the announcement that it will be available to all subscribers of the DISH NETWORK satellite service. The July 13th addition of DISH NETWORK'S 5 million basic package subscribers means the 3 year old channel will be in 41 million homes." ........Very exciting news for me. Only problem is, I have not seen this anywhere else, including on my Dish or at the Dish Website. Has anyone else heard this news?

Yes the channel has been added but you need to call about the 8 game package at the end of the season and see if you will get that is a seperate package.

nescott said:
Yes the channel has been added but you need to call about the 8 game package at the end of the season and see if you will get that is a seperate package.

Does this also apply if you are a DirecTV subscriber (with Sunday Direct Ticket) or have it on your digital cable lineup?

Note that although you get NFL Network; you dont get the Sunday Ticket.

Here is the link that shows you the packages it comes on.
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/channels/index.asp?NetwID=51806

As a former DISH owner (I now live in Europe and I'm not in the footprint) I always thought it a crock and a monopolistic NFL practice that you couldn't buy the Sunday Ticket over your local cable providor or over DISH Network; only via DIRECT TV. That burned me up since I signed up with DISH before they came up with the Sunday Ticket deal.

I am not a fan of lawyers; but anybody else interested in a Class Action Lawsuit? :)

The NFL sold the contract for Sunday Ticket to the highest bidder - that's why it's only on satellite. I agree that it makes little sense that the NFL shut itself out of the cable market with this move, regardless of how much money they were paid. The market penetration of both Dish Net. and Direct TV is but a tiny sliver of cable and the NFL, of all the leagues, have long ago realized the value of expanding exposure. So it's hard to understand the rationale behind re-upping with satellite last year.

For all you folks that drop the cash for Sunday Ticket here is a little factoid you'll find interesting - as of last season, Sunday Ticket was free on cable in Canada and Mexico. Makes perfect sense, right?

Brady'sButtBoy said:
The NFL sold the contract for Sunday Ticket to the highest bidder - that's why it's only on satellite. I agree that it makes little sense that the NFL shut itself out of the cable market with this move, regardless of how much money they were paid. The market penetration of both Dish Net. and Direct TV is but a tiny sliver of cable and the NFL, of all the leagues, have long ago realized the value of expanding exposure. So it's hard to understand the rationale behind re-upping with satellite last year.

For all you folks that drop the cash for Sunday Ticket here is a little factoid you'll find interesting - as of last season, Sunday Ticket was free on cable in Canada and Mexico. Makes perfect sense, right?

Agree totally!

I can fully understand why they sold high to DirecTV on the first deal years ago.

But I, too, have always wondered why the NFL re-upped for 10 more years with DirecTV?!?!

After having seen the popularity of their product and the Ticket, you'd think they'd have wanted control over a wider distribution network.

It doesn't bother me, of course, because I have DirecTV AND the NFLST, as well as Major League Extra Innings (so I can watch the SAWX), but for the average NFL fan without DTV, it sucks!

Last edited:
Gumby said:
That burned me up since I signed up with DISH before they came up with the Sunday Ticket deal.

DirecTV got Sunday Ticket starting in 1994. Dish Network wasn't even formed until 1995.

The market penetration of both Dish Net. and Direct TV is but a tiny sliver of cable and the NFL, of all the leagues, have long ago realized the value of expanding exposure. So it's hard to understand the rationale behind re-upping with satellite last year.

DirecTV pays a premium to have exclusive rights to Sunday Ticket. They'd pay MUCH less if the NFL also doled it out to their competition, and the NFL would never be able to make up the difference.

I have had DISH for the past 2 years and have been pretty pleased. But when I signed up for DISH I was unaware that the ticket was only for Directv and living in Michigan I MUST see all games.

Anyway...I just changed services to Directv and their latest promo is 4-months 250-channels (including all the HBO's skinemax's,etc) & the NFL ticket for 69.99 a month. You basically get the 250-channel plan for free. After the 4 months the 250 goes to 99.99, but at that point I will drop down to the 185-channel programming for 49.99.

I got the DVR receiver & 2 standard receivers for no cost (installation free) but they do charge a $5 lease fee for each of the 2 standard receivers...however they are running another promotion where your lease fee ($10/month) is free for 15 months.

I did not opt for the HD as my big screen is chiseled from stone.

I must say...I am pretty stoked to have the ticket!!!!

Patriotic Fervor said:
Does this also apply if you are a DirecTV subscriber (with Sunday Direct Ticket) or have it on your digital cable lineup?

Check channel 212 on your DirecTV, it's been there since the NFL channel debuted.....

One more great thing about DirecTV!

TiVO!

(Which no sports fan should be without, by the way! Never watch a commercial again!)

(Great for watching channels 595 through 598, too! Speed up through the foreplay and get right to the nitty - ahem - gritty!)

I am moving from Mass to CT and am going to subrscribe to DirecTV. Are there any CT subrcribers out there that could let me know what the best packages are to get for a hardcore Boston sports fan? I am moving to Fairfield and I know that NESN is not available on the Cablevision package, that is one of the main reasons I am choosing to go to DirecTV because I know a seperate package can be purchased in order to get NESN...I am also debating on whether or not to get Sunday Ticket, as long as I get all the Pats game via CBS or Fox, I wouldn't really need it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes