PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: DirecTV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just find it kind of weird because when we had the inch an hour for several hours storm last week and I didn't have a single issue when today we get a couple of inches total and I lose complete reception. Makes no sense.

Last edited:
Not sure what HR 20 is but I just have a normal dish with no hd or dvr. So I assume nevermind is the correct option?.?.

yep...nevermind...:bricks:

I just find it kind of weird because when we had the inch an hour for several hours storm last week and I didn't have a single issue when today we get a couple of inches total and I lose complete reception. Makes no sense.

In Texas the signal from the sat is basically coming straight down on them, so they have very few weather related issues. Up in the northeast the signal is actually shooting across the sky, which makes it more likely for weather to effect your reception. also, because of the angle in which the signal is coming in, a storm in another state or city can effect your signal, even if the weather is fine where you live.

Still though, you're having old cables makes your signal strength weaker, and more likely to encounter issues. The signal might very well come back by itself, but until you change out those cables you'll be more likely to have the same issues in the future.

Since your picture was perfect until tonight, your lost picture is unlikely to be caused by anything other than weather unless something physically severed the cable. Also, since its happening to all your TVs, it's not the set top hardware.

The reason this seems weird is that storms can be localized anywhere along the path of the signal where storms can affect the atmosphere. Realize that these satellites are about 22.3K miles in space. That's why a storm in the atmosphere but not in your local vicinity can cause interference.

As I said, I've had my system for 8 years and have had very few failures due to weather, but DirecTV will also tell you that sunspots occurring most often in late spring and late fall will cause signal failure as well. The sustained failure that I had early last summer was due to sunspots. The signal was back in a few hours. The good news is that this rarely occurs.

Keep checking your signal and resetting your box. My guess is that you'll have it return by morning.

Last edited:
How could it be possible from receiving a picture all day and then tonight I lose all reception with my tv's now saying searching for satellite signal 771 without touching anything? Is there anything I could do to resolve this or does a dish tv guy have to come out to my house?

I appreciate any help.

TIA

Bruinator -
I had a similar issue recently. It was a combination of things. It turned out that the original installer didn't replace the multi-switch in my attic. Also, the Dish I got last year was now obsolete and my HD Receiver died.

I am not saying that its all of those, but DirecTV replaced everything at no cost.

OK, here are a couple of things you can try to do if you get a chance. I'm not saying what other posters have is wrong but just trying to give a different perspective.

1. People have been debating wheter or not the cables from the splitter to your TVs might be bad. If you think this is possible try connecting your receiver directly to this splitter with a small TV and see if the problem reoccurs. If you still have the symptoms then the problem is further back (satellite, LNB, cabling to the dish). If you don't have the symptoms then it is definitely the wiring between your splitter and your TV.

2. Do you receive the Pats game via your local channels? If you end up needing to wait until Monday to have someone come out, you could connect a small antenna or rabbit ears to your receiver and be able to watch it that way. You would just need to run the setup to have the dish pick up those channels

Just my two cents. Good luck

Last edited:
It appears it was the weather cause picture is perfect this morning. I hope weather doesn't cause issues every time it snows. Thanks for all the help guys. It is much appreciated.

Last edited:
It appears it was the weather cause picture is perfect this morning. I hope weather doesn't cause issues every time it snows. Thanks for all the help guys. It is much appreciated.
Glad you got it sorted. It's unlikely to happen often, as I've had very rare outages during my time with DirecTV. In fact, Cable would tend to go out more frequently, and that was one of the benefits of switching.

Glad you got it sorted. It's unlikely to happen often, as I've had very rare outages during my time with DirecTV. In fact, Cable would tend to go out more frequently, and that was one of the benefits of switching.

thanks to you and everyone else's help on this issue.

A lot of times it doesn't matter how much it shows. It does depend on how wet the snow is and how much it sticks to the dish.
I've been through blizzard like conditions and have had no inerference, then I've been through a quick flurry that totally blocked my signal.

I'm lucky because my dish is right off of my back deck so its very easy to clean off.

Go outside knock the snow off......your mailbox...then pay your bill....haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey