Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: DirecTV

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by bruinator, Jul 9, 2007.

1. bruinator

bruinator Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Hi, I was wondering if I can get some help out here. I have had directv for about 75 days now. I've noticed when there is slight rain and thunder I lose reception. This has happened 3 times during the time I've had directv. Should this be happening and is there something that can be done about it? I appreciate any help.

2. fgssand

fgssand PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -1

#17 Jersey

Re: OT...Directv

Is normal and nothing can be done (Unless you get cable as well)....you may also lose reception during heavy snow fall.

3. bruinator

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Was I better off staying with cable then?

4. old 55

old 55 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -2

#87 Jersey

I've had Directv since 1994. I can count on one hand the number of times I've lost the signal due to weather.

Other things can contribute to the loss of signal including poor installation of the co-ax cabling. If you've only had Directv for a short time and have had multiple outages, you may have had a bad install. You should report the problem to Directv and tell them that you are ready to drop them for poor service. That should get them out to look at your equipment in a hurry.

Good luck.

5. Dfresh429

Dfresh429 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

no, Directtv>>>>>cable..

I have only lost recep during BAD thunderstorms..never during snowfall..*shrugg*

6. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 50 / -7

#75 Jersey

I have DirectTV for years, and again can count on one hand the numer of times I've lost reception, and it was only during severe downpours, that only last a few minutes.
    You might have a tree in the way, that when the wind blows, it blocks your signal.

Check your "signal strength", have you pushed the red button on the reciever to re-set the unit, that usually helps too.

7. bruinator

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

the tech used cabling left over from cable tv inside the house not sure about outside though. What should I have the techie do when he comes out here, please?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  8. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +945 / 66 / -54

#50 Jersey

That is the problem. The techie should have used BRAND NEW cabling. That is what they did at my house. I know because I've got all the garbage cabling still in the attic running all over the place. Friggin owner before me had no less than 4 8 post junctions.... And a couple of the cables just connected back to the same 8 post junction they came from.

Also, depending on where you are living, your Antenna may not have been set properly. If it wasn't, then your signal strength will be garbage and you will have issues.

9. JackPMiller

JackPMiller On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I never had an issue with the rain, but if there is lightning, then the reception goes out. In fact, when I had cable, I had just as much problems with weather, because I hear the weather destroyed the their box, and it has to get repaired. So, I said, the heck with it( I had worse language, but want to keep it clean), I'm switching to DirecTv. It cost alot less than cable, and no need to have to pay extra for NFLNETWORK. ALso, I get NFL Sunday Ticket to see my Rams. With cable, I would have only got to see normally one game a year, excluding the playoffs. This is when they are winning

10. denverpatsfan

denverpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have had DTV for 4+ years now. Only issue was during a SEVERE hail storm here in Colorado. Sky turned black as night and golf ball hail crashed down.

The only other issues I had were due to a tree growing leaves that blocked the signal since the dish was installed in the early spring, once the leaves grew in I realized we had installed it in the wrong spot. DTV came out and reinstalled free of charge.

Also had a barrel connector go bad. Stuff happens. Once again DTV came out and correctly diagnosed and fixed the problem.

Had to reposition my dish once when a work crew knocked into it. Very easy to do myself since the signal strength has a tone as well as a visual display.

As others have said have them come back out and do the job right. All new cable. All new connectors.

11. Seymour93

Seymour93 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

That's odd. I live in Tornado Alley so we get our fair share of violent thunderstorms and not once have they affected my DTV service.

12. GoPats

GoPats Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Depending on the age of the cable left over, it's possible that it is RG59 cable which is not as good as RG6 cable that Directv requires. RG59 and RG6 are both similiar in that they are rated 75 ohm, however, the RG6 cable has better shielding and thus less reception loss. That could be your problem. Replace the cable.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007