Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: Direct TV

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by bruinator, Jun 10, 2007.

1. bruinator

bruinator Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Hi Guys, I finally decided to get direct tv. Just curious I have 3 tv's and the question I have is how do they set it up? Is there 3 boxes like cable one for each TV or something else? Can someone clue me in on the set up please? I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks
  2. bronk37

bronk37 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I believe the deal is they will hook up 4 recievers as part of the additional set up fee, the installer will run the boxes to whatever TV's you want.
  3. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

IIRc the rental charge for each receiver is $5.00 per receiver per month and if you want to watch different programs on each of the sets, you need an individual receiver. If you have two TVs that will never be watched simultaneously, you can piggyback them off the same receiver and save the $5.00 monthly charge BUT make sure that the receiver is in a spot that can be accessed by the remote control. Sometimes the newer remotes need a line of sight and won't go thru walls like the older ones. Then you need to set up a wireless IR remote. If it's not too much of a hassle, get the extra receiver.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  4. godef

godef Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Yes, one box per TV. They keep a tight ship. However, additional boxes are like $5 extra a month.
  5. bruinator

bruinator Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I was told through verizon phone, dsl, direct tv is $115 a month with no additional charges for extra boxes. It's all in one package. Anyone with all 3 can you verify this please?
  6. bruinator

bruinator Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

bump........................
  7. theONLYJerseypatsfan

theONLYJerseypatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I had the same thing....there is an additional charge to rent them....though they tell you to keep them once you cancel....so yes, you will pay for each box over 2.......but still its cheaper than cable so dont let that deter you....also if you are gonna get the dvr make sure its the tivo version...they have two and they are the same price even though dvr is nothing more than a beta version on tivo
  8. bruinator

bruinator Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

thanks for the heads up. I will just verify with verizon that there is no extra charge for each box or remote otherwise i will cancel my install.
  9. mtbykr

mtbykr Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#37 Jersey

I wouldn't go through Verizon....a friend did and it wasn't the best experience. Just call 1-800-Directv and go from there. (you can say i referred you if you want and get me $50:D ) It's always better to call Directv directly because then they can give you the best deal (because they don't have to pay Verizon for signing you up) Last time i checked they will install up to 4 TVs for free (mabey a $15 confirmation fee) You don't have to pay to rent each receiver (at least i don't) What you have to pay for is the additional lines coming in; regular receivers take one line while Tivo (DVR) takes 2 lines. (and getting a DVR is a must:) )

Just checked, here's the referral program from their site:

That's the offer I have on my account, you will need my account # to do it so if you decide to go that route PM or email me and i will give it to you.

mtbykr@gmail.com

Bottom line is it's the best service I have ever had (had them for 4 years now) and I don't ever plan on going back to cable

Just my $.02
  10. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

OK, I've installed Directv dishes in the past, I've had Suscom digital cable for the past year, and I'm now switching to Dish Network. For those who don't know Suscom digital cable sucks balls! Sometimes I'd get little digital breakups in the picture, only the channels added in the digital upgrade are digital and channels 2-79 stay analog (sucks), oh and it cost a lot more for less channels. Anyways, I decided to try it out and I wasn't satisfied.

I liked directv. The picture was great (I had a 98-99% signal installing the dish myself), every channel is digital, and I didn't get digital breakups basically at all while watching tv. The Price of Directv was also better than cable with more channels.

The way my directv was setup: I had one dish with a dual LNB, two cables ran from the dish into my home. One cable ran to one room, and the other cable ran to the other with one box in both rooms.

Now I'm getting Dish Network (on tuesday) with DVR in two rooms. The Package I'm getting comes with over 200 channels, one Premium movie package free for the first three months, local channels, two room hookup has no additional monthly charge (with Directv it's $5 extra), and I get 10 dollars off each months bill for the first 10 months. I get a bunch of sports/regional sports channels as well. All this including DVR in two rooms for $39 a month over the first 10 months and a rate of $49 per month after with a guarantee of no price jumps for at least 18 months. With Dish Network you get installation and service in two rooms for the regular price. They only charge you an extra monthly fee (I believe it's $5) for the third room, and that fee includes installation/service in a fourth room without having to pay another monthly fee. With Directv I believe they still charge you for each additional room so it can be a lot cheaper with Dish Network if you need installation in four rooms. I compared what I have on suscom, what Directv was offering for packages with and without discounts, what Dish Network was offering for packages with and without discounts, and the best deal in terms of price (before and after discount), the channels your receive, price of DVR upgrade, and everything else was Dish Network. I also get money off my bill each time a friend signs up after I've given them the words up.

Now since I'm getting DVR the installation method with Dish Network is different than what I'm used to. The DVR I'm getting has dual tuners in one box, and it records programing for both tuners at the same time. Because of this they'll be installing the Dish with one cable coming into my home, then attaching that cable to the box, and sending another cable from the box down to the second room. Because the DVR has dual tuners in one box I get two remotes, and only one box is needed. I don't know if they give me a remote senser in the second room or if the remote itself works from anywhere in the house???

Here's the DVR I'm getting:
    [​IMG]

With this system you can pause & record live tv, and get a VOD service from Dish known as "dish on demand" that's supposed to be better than any other vod service available (we'll see).

The Package I have with Suscom isn't quite as good as the one I'm switching over to on Dish. I pay $63 per month without any premium channels and digital cable only in one room.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  11. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My DVR has a 120GB HDD inside, what do the Directv dvr's have for HDD's?
  12. mtbykr

mtbykr Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#37 Jersey

I don't know what mine has but it can record 80hours. I'm sure the ones coming out new are far superior to mine though, because i got mine 2 years ago!
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2007