Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: Direct TV / Universal remotes

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by bruinator, Jun 11, 2007.

1. bruinator

bruinator Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Is it possible to use a universal remote with direct tv? If someone could let me know I would appreciate it.

thanks

2. CrayzeeNepFan1

CrayzeeNepFan1 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

yes it is I use a Logitech Harmony remote control for my direc tv and there are many other brands that would definitely work

3. bruinator

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Does anyone use a $20 universal remote to operate their direct tv? Is this possible... please let me know.

thanks

also, does anyone recommend getting the extra $5 a month for replacement boxes or are they pretty reliable and not worth spending the extra $5 A MONTH?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  4. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +400 / 28 / -48

#50 Jersey

Well, 1st off, the DirecTV remote is a universal remote that can control your DVD, VCR and some stereo systems. I don't know of a $20 universal remote that ALSO controls all stereo components.

Now, what $5 a month charge for replacement boxes? With DirecTV, you are charged a $5 a month rental fee unless you have bought for full price the boxes from Best Buy. And then, you still have to pay the $5 a month fee for the box as a line fee instead of a rental fee. So there is no real way to avoid the $5 a month per extra box beyond the 1st one.

5. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

In addition, the DirecTV remote allows you to get onscreen menus, program favorites and set auto tune so it automaticly goes to a channel at a given time if you're too lazy or forgetful. In addition, you can lock out those channels you don't want the kids to watch (CNN) and password protect them.....
    Never had a problem with them......

6. sebman2112

sebman2112 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Why would you want to? As pointed out, the Directv remote is itself a universal remote. Now if you really want to use another universal remote the answer is you can use just about any universal remote (even the 5 dollar ones) with your directv box, as long as it has codes for a directv Sat box. Now you will likely run into functionality limitations, though. A lot of universal remotes will only work the channel, power, volume, and mute functions of your Directv box, and might not be capable of controlling the guide, menu or other functions of your directv box.

7. sebman2112

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

"CNN" LOL!

8. sebman2112

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think he's talking about the $5 per month replacement protection plan, where they will replace your Directv receivers when/if they ever die.

For Bruinator:

Would I sign up for that plan? Well, if you can afford to pay for a new box when one of them dies than I wouldn't do it because until one dies your paying $5 dollars per month for nothing but peace of mind, and what if your receiver never dies? Now if you have four receivers installed that are basically on constantly than I would think about it, but the cost of replacing just one box isn't that bad, so I personally wouldn't pay that extra $5. If you have any other questions concerning directv receivers/dishes/installation & setup feel free to ask. I've installed a few Directv dishes and have a few tricks you can use, lol!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  9. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +400 / 28 / -48

#50 Jersey

Honestly? I've never heard of that program. Also, my parents had the same receivers for 10 or 15 years with no issues. They just recently upgraded for FREE because of their having been with DirecTV for so long

10. Isaac

Isaac Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Haven't tried it with Directv but if you purchase a remote with learning capabilities that can operate with directv, then you should be able to get all the functionality of the original remote. Remotes "learn" by reading an input signal from the original remote (by pointing the original at the learning remote) and assigning it to a key.

11. mtbykr

mtbykr PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

#37 Jersey

I didn't have the insurance, and had a remote die on me. The lady on the phone (from directv) asked me if i had the insurace, i said no, no one asked me about it when i signed up....she added it and then replaced the equipment right then.

12. bruinator

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Interesting...thanks Guys, I appreciate the help.