PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Did the Steelers Win? Help with Rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddell1

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
On the TD at the end of the half I have a question. First off I want to go over what I know about the out of bounds rule. If an offensive player steps out of bounds, the play is dead and the ball is spotted at that mark. If there is a fumble and a player touches the ball and touches out of bounds, again play over and ball spotted there. So in the SB, the Steelers intercepted and ran all the way down the field. On about the 5 yrd line, L Fitzgerald (?sp) was pushed out of bounds on a block. While re-entering the playing field (still with on foot out of bounds) he touches Harrison's shoulder and eventually tackles him in the end zone resulting in a TD. Shoulden't the play have been dead as soon as the out of bounds player touched the runner? Please explain how I am wrong on the rule here. Thanks

That makes no sense...

In your "rule" you wouldn't have to tackle anyone, just simply touch them and the out of bounds marker at the same time... Sure would make the Fade route int he End zone obsolete.

That makes no sense...

In your "rule" you wouldn't have to tackle anyone, just simply touch them and the out of bounds marker at the same time... Sure would make the Fade route int he End zone obsolete.

true, but not if the defender has to first be pushed otu of boudns by a different offensive player then the oen w/ the ball

No, a player either needs to be tackled or touch out of bounds to be stopped.

The ball is out of bounds in direct contact with a player who is touching out of bounds. But only that player -- for example, if player A is out of bounds, and touching player b, who is in bounds, and b is touching the ball, the ball is not out of bounds.

Also, I'm pretty sure that if one player has possession of the ball, the ball is still in bounds so long as that player is in bounds. In other words, if I'm running with the ball fully secured, and a player who is stepping out of bounds touches the ball while he tries to tackle me, the ball is not out of bounds. If it's loose, it's a different matter.

lol, this is ******ed. The Steelers won, there's no question.

Why does it seem like the majority of our fans wanted the Cards to win? Wouldn't that piss you off that the WORLD CHAMPS were a garbage team we destroyed 47-7? At least we know we got stomped by the Super Bowl champs and we can move on to next year...

The only real issue I have is why Holmes didn't get a 15 yard penalty for using the ball as a prop in his celebration. Cards likely wind up with the ball out around mid-field changes the play calling. But it's over, done, I'm not worried about it, just glad I could actually look at/listen to some kind of football news today. I think it was draft day before I turned on anything last year...

Yeah the Steelers won. Glad I could help.

The only real issue I have is why Holmes didn't get a 15 yard penalty for using the ball as a prop in his celebration.

That and on Harrison's return there was a clear block in the back (the clip is in one of the threads in the NFL forum). I don't see how the refs can call 200 holds on AZ and not call a clear penalty on a game changing play. Then again, I do remember the last SB the Steelers were in...

On the TD at the end of the half I have a question. First off I want to go over what I know about the out of bounds rule. If an offensive player steps out of bounds, the play is dead and the ball is spotted at that mark. If there is a fumble and a player touches the ball and touches out of bounds, again play over and ball spotted there. So in the SB, the Steelers intercepted and ran all the way down the field. On about the 5 yrd line, L Fitzgerald (?sp) was pushed out of bounds on a block. While re-entering the playing field (still with on foot out of bounds) he touches Harrison's shoulder and eventually tackles him in the end zone resulting in a TD. Shoulden't the play have been dead as soon as the out of bounds player touched the runner? Please explain how I am wrong on the rule here. Thanks

FWIW-the Cards also got hosed by the refs in the NFCCG, especially in the 1st half of that game where alot of calls favored the Eagles. Otherwise, the game would have been blown wide open to astronomic proportions. In the end, they still won.

The Cards still had their opportunities, plain and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes