PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: DeSean Jackson Taunting Penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your argument seems silly AND I think you are confusing cause and effect.

He ran out of bounds. So if the ref didn't wave his arms yet, a defender can go wallop him out of bounds?

The ball going out of bounds ended the play. The ref signalling is just to inform all those who didn't see it that the play is over.

The refs should not be the action; the players are.

(but that is not to say in this Polian-world of NFL rules in which referees change them from game to game that you might not be correct by the rules as written. GOD HELP US.)

The whole thing is an after the fact argument. The player, Jackson, acted like an immature, self centered jerk and could have cost his team dearly with his action.

I cannot tell you what the rule is for certain. I buy the argument that the zebras got it wrong but I am not certain of the rule technicalities. I am certain the cause was Jackson's action. The effect was putting the Zebras in the position to have to rule, correctly or incorrectly, on his idiotic behavior.

Fortunately the Patriots usually don't go anywhere near players like him. I'd rather see them go down fighting with no names like Arrington, Love, Ninkovich, BJGE etc etc than to have a highly talented A-hole like Jackson.

BB has the right idea. He encourages his players "go ahead enjoy it, you worked so damn hard to get there" (paraphrasing mine; from the recent NFLN special). That segment also finally explained for me why BB never seemed to get quite as pissed when the team got tagged for excessive break dancing penalties and such.

The rule is waaaaay to arbitrary, and interpretive.

Make it something simple like:

1. One directly participating player only (if you're a younger fan, be thankful you missed that last straw year highlighted by 6-player dance parties and comedic crowd-player improv sketches.

2. Must begin within 30 seconds from the official TD signal (I guess FG, XP too for those crazy kickers... now that would be funny if THEY started doing celebrations. Here's one some aspiring kicker out there can use, after every FG, put your hands under your thigh and hold up your leg. (FIG 1) Point foot to crowd. Now, while keeping leg straight and spinning slowly back and forth, mimic the shooting and recoil of a couple cannon shots or a long machine gun burst. Of course, end by triumphantly blowing fake smoke from your shoe top. But Whoa... I digress...

3. Cannot be within 5 ft of opposing player, or directed toward opposing player.

4. Celebration must finish with 15 seconds from initiation.

Other than that, go crazy boys, you deserve it...

"...and so the game and the season comes down to this."
"One last long 52 yd FG to win this incredibly hard fought game."
"The crowd goes silent...The rookie kicker signals he's ready.
Color Announcer: "Uh oh, the wind just picked up again..."
"<Hike!> The snap. The hold. The kick is up..."
It's good! It's GOOD!

._
|_|
.|
.|\
.|_\____| - - <RAT> - <A> - <TAT> - <TAT> - - - - - -
..\ *
...\
....\_>

ha ha, artist rendering (fig 1)

._
|_|..<poooof>
.| __ /
.|.../
.|_/
..\
...\
....\_>

.._
\|_|/ <SMILE>
.\|/
..|
<CHEER> <CLAP>
..<CHEER> <CLAP>
...<CHEER> <CLAP> <CHEER> <CLAP>
.<CLAP CLAP>>
<CHEER> <CLAP>
..<CHEER> <CLAP>
...<CHEER> <CLAP> <CHEER> <CLAP>

"Unbelievable. Simply unbelievable, and good night."

Last edited:
Billion dollar talent, twenty three cent brain.

We've all seen the story hundreds of times before. It won't end well for DeSean Jackson.

The Patriots became the PATRIOTS when Belichick amputated Terry Glenn. Andy Reid is an enabler, however, and doesn't have the same balls.

Last edited:
I had the same thought process as the original post. I was dissapointed that Michaels or Collinsworth didn't address it one way or the other.

Jackson caught the ball and then threw the ball to the Giants D coord's body right after he was knocked out of bounds and then the ref called the play dead (Ref waiving his 2 arms over his head together).
Since the incident happened right before the play was called dead, it was a right call and not a dead ball foul.

Plus it teaches D Jackson a lesson. I have no problems w. the ruling or the enforcement of the flag.

Once he's out of bounds the play is dead. It should have been a dead ball foul.

We've all seen the story hundreds of times before. It won't end well for DeSean Jackson.

The Patriots became the PATRIOTS when Belichick amputated Terry Glenn. Andy Reid is an enabler, however, and doesn't have the same balls.

I thought it was strange that Andy Reid didn't even ask the refs for an explanation. I think it was the refs mistake, but if he brought that up to them, they may have ruled it just the 15 yrds from the end of the play.

Found the applicable rule:

FOUL AND DEAD BALL FOUL
Article 9 If there has been a foul by either team during a down and there is a dead ball foul by the other team in the action immediately after the end of the down, it is a double foul, and all rules for enforcement of double fouls apply (see 14-3-1).

Translation: like the "tuck rule" call, the rule was enforced correctly.

And, of course, DeSean was an idiot.

[N.B. There is a specific exception for TD plays.]

Last edited:

Yeah, he really is a moron. I can't believe he was able to get into Cal, that is not just some dumb junior college, it's well respected school. He should have been penalized 40 yards for stupidity, and basically, he was. Love his talent, he's unstoppable, only his own brain can stop him.

Your argument seems silly AND I think you are confusing cause and effect.

He ran out of bounds. So if the ref didn't wave his arms yet, a defender can go wallop him out of bounds?

The ball going out of bounds ended the play. The ref signalling is just to inform all those who didn't see it that the play is over.

The refs should not be the action; the players are.

(but that is not to say in this Polian-world of NFL rules in which referees change them from game to game that you might not be correct by the rules as written. GOD HELP US.)

From what I saw on tv, one of the refs was behind DJax as he got out of bounds and tossed the ball against the Giants D Coord Coach. That happened a split second before the ref called the down dead.
So I assume the ref thought the unsportsmanlike conduct happened a split second before it was dead.
I have no problem with the rule or the enforcement of the rule.

And I hate Mike Carrey so much.

From what I saw on tv, one of the refs was behind DJax as he got out of bounds and tossed the ball against the Giants D Coord Coach. That happened a split second before the ref called the down dead.
So I assume the ref thought the unsportsmanlike conduct happened a split second before it was dead.
I have no problem with the rule or the enforcement of the rule.

And I hate Mike Carrey so much.

As I pointed out above, it doesn't matter which one happened first.

No idea about the offsetting, but I have just seen the penalty and it was a stupid thing to do!

Did the coach even ask the refs to come over and explain the ruling? I know BB would have had that conversation (not that the zebras can ever admit to being wrong while in a game situation it seems...after the fact seems quite acceptable to them).

I was up in arms sitting on my couch, and I have no allegiance to either team nor did it have any fantasy football significance to me......therefore, I am dumbfounded that no one on the Eagles had the same mindset as me.

Thanks for the rule.

Do officials mess up? Yes, but they got this right, as they typically do. You can argue that they are not consistent with certain rule enforcements (PI, holding) but on more complex matters, they are right far more often than they are wrong.

Maybe I am just more sensitive to this since I have officiated several sports and have to hear ignorant coaches, players, and fans spout off about rulings they are uneducated about.

Oh, and yes. DeSean is a moron.

You can't flip the ball in the manner he did, just as you can't spike the ball in the manner that Gronk did.

Last edited:

Yeah, I never thought the refs got this one wrong. It was clearly offsetting penalties.

Now the fact that taunting is a 15 yard penalty, I have a problem with although it is a completely different issue. Why would something that really has no effect on the game have such a large penalty. I mean holding, offensive pass interference, illegal contact, etc. have lesser penalties than taunting and any of those could change the outcome of a game.

Scenario:
Eagles are on their own 2 or 3 yard line on 1st and 10, Young bombs one to DeSean Jackson who takes it out of bounds to the Giants 48 yards line.

The Giants were called for an illegal use of hands to the face penalty, but declined due to the long gain.

But wait........

Another official has thrown a flag on DeSean Jackson for TAUNTING.

The officials announce the penalties as offsetting, and first down is replayed all the way back at the Giants two yard line?!?!?

Am I missing something here, or did the officials just flat out screw up.

Let's take the Giants penalty out of the equation right now.

The tuanting had no affect on the actual play itself and by all accounts was a dead ball penalty. If there were no GIants penalty, shouldn't they mark the penalty as 15 yards back from the where the play ENDED (not from where it began)?

So was it the Giants penalty that through a wrinkle into the equation? THis wouldn't make sense, but essentially that would mean the Eagles were severly penalized from a GIANTS PENALTY!

THe way I see it, the Giants penalty should have been declined, and the Jackson penalty should have pushed them 15 yards back from where the play ended.

I'm not sure if there are any rulebook gurus who can help me out on this one.

I didn't get this penalty either. I thought the same as you, that they shouldn't have been off-setting. The one against the Giants should have been declined, and the one against Jackson occurred after the play, so it should have been marked off from where he stepped out of bounds. The Eagles got screwed on that call, but how dumb is Jackson for pitching the ball at an opposing coach?

As soon as Jackson loses a step, it will be over for him. He's too small and weak to be a dominant receiver in the NFL without that world class speed.

it was bizarre to me too. 5 minutes after it happened, I decided that Reid should have declined the NY penalty then asked the ref what he thought about that.

I'm sure somebody in this thread already mentioned this possibility. Will read up soon.

I didn't get this penalty either. I thought the same as you, that they shouldn't have been off-setting. The one against the Giants should have been declined, and the one against Jackson occurred after the play, so it should have been marked off from where he stepped out of bounds. The Eagles got screwed on that call, but how dumb is Jackson for pitching the ball at an opposing coach?

Correction, I guess they are offsetting, which surprises me. Jackson is still dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes