Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: Denver

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by DisgruntledTunaFan, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DisgruntledTunaFan

DisgruntledTunaFan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

What is it with them and building their team with leftovers from other teams?

Sure-they *were* Pro Bowlers in their careers(i.e. Bailey and Bly), but why build your team by giving out generous contracts to players past their prime?:confused:

2. BoltsFan

BoltsFan On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I dunno? Who here thought either were past their prime before the season began? More to the point, what makes you think they're past their prime now? Cause they both got burned tonight? It happens. Doesn't necessarily mean they're done?

3. unoriginal

unoriginal In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +290 / 5 / -1

Why pick on Bailey and Bly when you can pick on Sam Adams, Simeon Rice, and the rest of that sad-sack defensive front?

Ever since they lost Al Wilson they've completely gone down the crapper.

4. richpats

richpats Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

How ironic that Bailey and Bly were burned for GB's 2 touchdowns last night. "Shutdown"?

5. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0

#95 Jersey

Not a good few days to be a Denver sports fan.....

6. paragon11

paragon11 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#11 Jersey

I was shocked to hear during the broadcast last night that Denver is/was the worst in the league on run defense.

They look like a flat team on offense too.

Terry

7. richpats

richpats Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Of course Denver is going into the tank the year we are fielding our best team ever....and we don't get to play them :(

8. Patriotic Fervor

Patriotic Fervor Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Like our Bolts guest, I'm not sure, either, if they're "past their prime". However, I do think they traded for Bly to cover the lousy drafting they've done over the years.

For now, anyway, Shanahan's job is safe, but as we become more and more removed from the Elway legacy, that could change.

I think he's a decent coach, but not a great one. Poor evaluator of talent, too many instances of late collapses, questionable choices in coaching staff, inability to find and field a definitive front 4, and more will, over time, make the spotlight a bit uncomfortable for the man.

While in the age of free agency a quick turnaround in a team's fortune is possible, the success of that approach does depend on the astuteness with which a franchise handles the cap, and again, this is not a real strength of this team.

The jury is still out on the wisdom of taking Cutler and having him at the helm of that team. Regardless, they do seem to be a team on the way down.

9. jimmyjames

jimmyjames On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Bad drafting? They signed Bly to replace Darrent Williams, their starting CB that started as a rookie and was killed on New Year's Day.
    And Champ Baily is playing injured.

10. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

If Cutler hadn't lost the ball on the goal line you could likely have stuck a fork in the Pack since Brett would have thrown a couple of pick thereafter trying to catch up. Two bad teams and one left Denver last night 6-1...

Such is the NFL circa 2007.

Shannahan always used to look so smug, now he just looks pissed all the time. Maybe he should try looking in the mirror.

11. Patriotic Fervor

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

I know that. So does everyone else. And while it's certainly sad and tragic to both the Broncos and the NFL in general that Williams' demise occurred, why else do you think that team is in the straits that it's in?

Bad drafting.

And poor free agent signings (overall).

You can only get away with this type of thing for so long before it starts to affect you.

And so it is with them.

12. Patriotic Fervor

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Let's view this from another angle for a minute.

If Williams hadn't died, and was still around on the team, and they consequently made no move to acquire Bly, do you think this team would be better than what they've shown so far?

13. denverpatsfan

denverpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Donks can't punch the ball in. That's their main issue aside from having difficulty implementing Bate's defense. If may be conservative play calling in the red zone or keeping the lid on the kid for now. Who knows. What I do know is that the Donks can move the ball and Cutler leads the league in 3rd down conversions. They have their QB of the future. I can only hope that they can't get the rest of the act together for a couple seasons.

Also Tom Nalen going down really hurts this team as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.