PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: David Patten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.nola.com/sportsflash/lou...12/1180998583115330.xml&storylist=nola_sports
David Patten leapt high in the air, his body twisted and his arms stretched above his head. He clamped his hands firmly on the spiraling ball, then acrobatically touched his feet down in the back of the end zone before crashing out of bounds on the Louisiana Superdome turf.

That was February 2002, when Patten wore a Patriots uniform in New England's first Super Bowl triumph.

Patten would like to spend more time touching down in that same end zone this season with a fleur-de-lis on his helmet.
-----
Payton also has made it clear that he hopes Patten will provide veteran leadership to the Saints young receivers, including first-round draft pick Robert Meachem.

"It's new territory for me, because I've always been with a veteran receiving corps," Patten said. "Now ... I'm the elder statesman. It's fun. It's not so much leading by what you say as leading by example. I'll give pointers here and there, but the bottom line is to go out there and work and good things happen."

Patten doesn't make a habit of showing off his Super Bowl rings, but he has brought them to the Saints headquarters when teammates have asked about them.

"I had a couple guys ask me to bring the rings in because you just want to see them. Once you get a chance to see them and actually hold them, it becomes a reality to you," Patten said. "If nothing else, it's motivation to remind guys of what we actually play this game for."

Colston said he hasn't seen the rings yet, but vividly remembers Patten's touchdown catch against St. Louis in the Super Bowl.

"It's funny. The first week he was here, I was watching the NFL Network and got a chance to see that," Colston recalled Monday. "I'm just glad he's here — a veteran guy who knows what it takes."

If Colston and Henderson continue to play well and Meachem matures quickly, Patten realizes he may not start. But Patten said he can live with that under Payton, a coach he senses is promoting the type of team-first, winning culture he experienced in New England.

"The way he's running things, he's bringing in guys where he trusts their character, their background," Patten said. "You get good people, then they're going to do what they're asked or what's required of them. When you get enough of those guys around, that's what allows you to go to that next level and win championships — like the Patriots."
Have a good year DP, wipe that 'skins stain off and do it right.

Last edited:
I hope things work out for him. It's too bad he was injured and buried in DC, but he was well compensated for it.

Here's hoping we see him giving some former teammates congratulatory handshakes in February

I want to get an old Patten Pats jersey to wear to the Saints games this year. Always nice to support both teams with one jersey.

That was a great catch by "DP".

I would not be surprised if Patten did well for the Saints, he could break the string of ex-Pats struggling after leaving the team.

I always liked David and what he contributed to our team. But seriously folks, I expect David's career, here on out, to be as spectacular are Whitney Houston's. It's over, the horse has left the barn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back