PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Darn! There goes my pipe dream! (Colts sign Sanders to extension)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wahhhhh wahhhhh wahhhhh :(

Wahhhh wahhhh wahhhhh:(

:( :(

I freaking love Pats fans. They are never every happy and always have something to complain about win or lose. Bunch of freaking babies.

It must be the Baaaawston way.

Get a grasp of reality, coon boy.

It is what it is. Your team cheats constantly when we play you and the refs penalize us constantly.

Maybe you want to make little baby noises to show you have a lack of intelligence, but that crap doesn't wash here.

Let's stick to the facts. I have laid out the facts. Maybe you can't deal with it, that is your problem.

Clearly, Polian the squeaky b1tch gets oiled.

I'm not going to make a comment one way or another on whether the Colts resigning Sanders was a good move or not. But I do want to respond to the comments that he is "the best safety in the NFL right now."

He is absolutely not the best safety in the NFL. That title, far and away, belongs to Ed Reed.

There is no room for debate on this issue; it's not even close.

Last edited:
And yet you guys have not been able to name them. Guys like Urlacher and Bailey aren't in the top 5 based on the mediocre seasons they've had. Then I hear Patrick Kerney. :eek: Give me a break.

Talk to me about guys like Demarcus Ware, but not some of these other guys.

Ed Reed, Jason Taylor, Wilfork

what makes someone top 5? stats? or impact on the game

And yet you guys have not been able to name them. Guys like Urlacher and Bailey aren't in the top 5 based on the mediocre seasons they've had. Then I hear Patrick Kerney. :eek: Give me a break.

Talk to me about guys like Demarcus Ware, but not some of these other guys.

You're kidding, right? Let's just stay in the Colts' division, shall we?

From the Jaguars:
Henderson
Stroud
Mathis would have been here last season, but has had an off year

From the Titans
Haynesworth
Vanden Bosch
Bullock

From the Texans
Williams
Ryan

So, just in the same division, that's 7 defensive players(not counting Mathis) that would be in the debate as to whether or not they were better than either Colt you mentioned. I would rate all 7 above Freeney, personally, and most, if not all, above Sanders.

what an asinine debate....

the NFL is the horseshoe, the elvii, and everybody else. The Colts and Pats could play ten games against each other and easily go 5-5 apiece. Losing Freeney doesn't mean they're any less dangerous of a team, and signing Sanders is clearly a good move.

PS ColtinIraq is a troll, who cares where he gets his mail?

You're kidding, right? Let's just stay in the Colts' division, shall we?

From the Jaguars:
Henderson
Stroud
Mathis would have been here last season, but has had an off year

From the Titans
Haynesworth
Vanden Bosch
Bullock

From the Texans
Williams
Ryan

So, just in the same division, that's 7 defensive players(not counting Mathis) that would be in the debate as to whether or not they were better than either Colt you mentioned. I would rate all 7 above Freeney, personally, and most, if not all, above Sanders.

The Jaguars guys you mention are all fringe top 50 players in the league. They aren't great players. That defense (and offense) is full of good and very good players, but the only great players on that team are Taylor and MJD. You clearly haven't played the Jags as much as we have if you think guys like Henderson and Stroud are as good as Freeney or Sanders. Heck, they each were playing only about 2/3 of the snaps per game this year because they have good depth with Meier behind them.

Williams and Haynesworth have as much talent as anyone in football. If they continue to do consistently what they've done in some games this year, then they'll be top 5 type defensive players in the NFL. But it's too soon on both of them. People thought Haynes was a bust before this year, and Mario needs to keep showing that motor. I'm very confident that Mario will continue his improvement, and be at a Freeney level soon.

The other guys are very good players you mention, but not game changers like Freeney/Sanders. Put it this way, Vanden Bosch isn't going to make the Pats' scrap their offensive gameplan like Freeney did this year.

The people above who mention Ed Reed have a good point. I'd put him right up there as an elite top 5 defensive player.

Ed Reed, Jason Taylor, Wilfork

what makes someone top 5? stats? or impact on the game

Impact on the game. If it were stats, I wouldn't mention Freeney. But his impact on the game was clear in games like our meeting this year despite the fact that I don't think he had a sack in that game. The impact is the fact that teams basically never take deep drops and throw the ball down the field against the Colts. The impact is that other teams in the NFL actually thought Jason David was a good player because he rarely actually had to cover guys downfield with the Colts.

The Jaguars guys you mention are all fringe top 50 players in the league. They aren't great players. That defense (and offense) is full of good and very good players, but the only great players on that team are Taylor and MJD. You clearly haven't played the Jags as much as we have if you think guys like Henderson and Stroud are as good as Freeney or Sanders. Heck, they each were playing only about 2/3 of the snaps per game this year because they have good depth with Meier behind them.

Williams and Haynesworth have as much talent as anyone in football. If they continue to do consistently what they've done in some games this year, then they'll be top 5 type defensive players in the NFL. But it's too soon on both of them. People thought Haynes was a bust before this year, and Mario needs to keep showing that motor. I'm very confident that Mario will continue his improvement, and be at a Freeney level soon.

The other guys are very good players you mention, but not game changers like Freeney/Sanders. Put it this way, Vanden Bosch isn't going to make the Pats' scrap their offensive gameplan like Freeney did this year.

The people above who mention Ed Reed have a good point. I'd put him right up there as an elite top 5 defensive player.

You keep spouting this nonsense as if it's true and maybe you'll really convince yourself. However, the truth is that there's not a single player on the Colts who would be the best defender on Houston, Jacksonville or Tennessee. However, Polian has paid two of them as if they were the best in the league at their positions. Enjoy!

You keep spouting this nonsense as if it's true and maybe you'll really convince yourself. However, the truth is that there's not a single player on the Colts who would be the best defender on Houston, Jacksonville or Tennessee. However, Polian has paid two of them as if they were the best in the league at their positions. Enjoy!

Dude, we play those teams twice a year. I don't have to convince myself of anything because I know the personnel on these teams very well. You guys don't play those teams because you only play us in our division every year, and they are rarely on primetime TV so you haven't seen them as much. The only guy that scares me on those defenses when we've played them is Mario this year. And Ugoh actually didn't do a bad job on the super-freak.

Your defensive tackles have hurt us much more than the Jags' DTs have over the years. Ask any Jags' fan and they'll tell you Spicer has been their best Dlinmen this year, not either of the DTs.

The Titans' front is good, I know that. But we went down to Nashville in their home opener and our offense played well against them. They've never dominated us like your front has at times over the years. Maybe they will on Sunday, but it didn't happen in September when Ugoh did a good job on Vanden Bosch until one sack in the 4th quarter. Haynesworth has never had a dominant game against us like he's had against other teams this year.

The guys who scare me in this division are Mario, VY, Fred Taylor, MJD, and a healthy Andre Johnson.

Dude, we play those teams twice a year. I don't have to convince myself of anything because I know the personnel on these teams very well. You guys don't play those teams because you only play us in our division every year, and they are rarely on primetime TV so you haven't seen them as much. The only guy that scares me on those defenses when we've played them is Mario this year. And Ugoh actually didn't do a bad job on the super-freak.

Your defensive tackles have hurt us much more than the Jags' DTs have over the years. Ask any Jags' fan and they'll tell you Spicer has been their best Dlinmen this year, not either of the DTs.

The Titans' front is good, I know that. But we went down to Nashville in their home opener and our offense played well against them. They've never dominated us like your front has at times over the years. Maybe they will on Sunday, but it didn't happen in September when Ugoh did a good job on Vanden Bosch until one sack in the 4th quarter. Haynesworth has never had a dominant game against us like he's had against other teams this year. Although the fact that you continue to argue such an obviously stupid point would explain the "Manning is better than Brady" foolishness of the average Colts fan.

The guys who scare me in this division are Mario, VY, Fred Taylor, MJD, and a healthy Andre Johnson.

I really don't care which guys "scare" you. The issue was better defensive players. You're overrating your two heroes. I'm sorry, but they aren't even top 5 in their division, never mind top 5 in the league.

Last edited:
You're really just being a homer if you don't see this as an excellent move by the Colts. Yea he's a little weak against the pass, that's the nature of the tampa 2 system. He works perfect for what he does, which is clearly seen through the difference in the play of the defense when he's not on the field.

This is a bad signing if Sanders continues to play only 6-10 games a year, but if he's healthy it's pretty obviously a good signing.

Edit: And oh, just for sh*ts and giggles, top 5 AFC defensive players:

Wilfork
Taylor
Allen
Reed
Ngata

Last edited:
You're really just being a homer if you don't see this as an excellent move by the Colts. Yea he's a little weak against the pass, that's the nature of the tampa 2 system. He works perfect for what he does, which is clearly seen through the difference in the play of the defense when he's not on the field.

This is a bad signing if Sanders continues to play only 6-10 games a year, but if he's healthy it's pretty obviously a good signing.

Edit: And oh, just for sh*ts and giggles, top 5 AFC defensive players:

Wilfork
Taylor
Allen
Reed
Ngata

Claiming people are being homers because they think making Bob Sanders the highest paid safety in the NFL is a mistake is just silly, sorry.

It's not a mistake. And he was bound to be the highest paid safety by someone, if not the Colts.

Rather it be the Colts and rather he be our mistake. He is the heart and soul of the defense and a true gamechanger.

It is a mistake, and I'm quite certain that Ravens fans, for one example, would agree with that assessment.

Seems whatever Colts do is a mistake. We let players go and it's a mistake. We pay good money to keep great ones and it's a mistake.

But, still we manage. I am quite happy with the Sanders deal. He deserves every penny for what he has done for this team and what he will probably do in the future for us as well.

I don't recall saying that the signing was a mistake for the Colts...... This was my quote:

Claiming people are being homers because they think making Bob Sanders the highest paid safety in the NFL is a mistake is just silly, sorry.

As I've posted before, Indianapolis thrives under a "hub" system with mediocre players revolving around quality players while New England thrives with a more individualistic approach. Both methods have been successful this decade.

Last edited:
Is there agent puffery going on here??

According to AP this deal means that Sanders is signed through the 2012 season.

IMO, I think that it is correct to include 2007 in the APY equation since the team is able to use 2007 to prorate the signing bonus and since Sanders signed the contract in 2007 and will receive some signing bonus money in 2007.

37.5/6 = 6.25 million APY
33/5 (Polamula's deal)= 6.6 APY

It is only if one does not include the 2007 season that Sanders can be called the highest paid safety on the APY basis.

What, a safety making 7M+ a season with 20M in guaranteed bonus?? Whoa...

Seems whatever Colts do is a mistake.

Pumping up the crowd sound and heat wasn't a mistake. I think that was quite intentional. I also do wonder why Brady's headset in the last game wasn't working but that is uncofirmed.

Does anyone know how much of that guaranteed $20M (if any) Indy can use to pay Sanders, which would count against this years cap? Arn't they like $17M under right now? :confused:

Does anyone know how much of that guaranteed $20M (if any) Indy can use to pay Sanders, which would count against this years cap? Arn't they like $17M under right now? :confused:

According to Adam Schefter Sanders received a $8 million signing bonus. The Colts would then be able to prorate 1/6 of that in the 2007 season. Adamjt13 reported on another board that the Colts were under the cap by $7.8 million as of 10 days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back