PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Dan Marino "truth" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's 33 pro bowl players in 17 seasons, or almost two every season. Tom Brady has had Matt Light, Corey Dillon, and Troy Brown (3), in six season

Well Ty Law and Richard Seymour made the probowl as well.

What Aquaman fails to realize is that what makes Brady a better QB than Marino is the winning despite the lack of talent on offense.

Antoine Smith...need I say more?
Okay I will then.. David Patten, David Givens, Reche Caldwell, etc. etc...

Brady is 12-2 in the post season and held a record pass to interception ratio at one point in time, I'm not sure he still does.

Brady has incredible pocket presence, accurate arm.
He's got 2 super bowl MVP's, several pro-bowls, 3 rings and hes done that all with no receivers.

The most important QB Statistic is something you can't record or measure. And thats being "clutch". We know who wins that category.

And by the way this is not my way of conceding to your Dan Marino was physically better in every way nonsense. Thats something you can't just say and expect people to accept it, how bout some proof? If Dan Marino was so gifted why did he not register one superbowl? Thats the great question that still remains unanswered by you Fin fans.

Marino was twice the passer Brady will ever be and played with half the talent Brady has had his whole career.

Im sure this will be brought up or already has but: What the hell are you talking about?? Clayton, Duper, Irving Fryar when he finally got his act together, KAJ had (2) 1000 rushing season. On defense he played with Trace Armstrong, Bryan Cox, and Tim Bowens in their prime; Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas in their youth. I will admit that he never really had it all at the same time but he had at least 2 out of 3 most years. I believe there is a song about 2 out 3 not being all that bad. Brady has never had all 3 either and if you throw out the last 2 SB's, cause those teams were clearly supperior, the first was no better than DM's

01" pats D was ranked 20th in yds 6th in pts and had exactly (1) Probowler
offense was ranked 17th in Yds and 6th in pts and had 2 PB's

Pretty sure those early to late 90's phins teams were just as good

Marino was twice the passer Brady will ever be and played with half the talent Brady has had his whole career.

Does your mother know that you're up using the computer at 3 am? You must have middle school classes today...
Anyway to your point, I posted a month ago (and I will find the posting) that Marino played with many more Pro-Bowlers on his offensive line and receivers (Clayton, Duper ring a bell??) than Brady ever has. Brady has had one Pro Bowl receiver (Troy Brown 2001) and one O-lineman Matt Light last year. I guarantee that I can find ten Pro- Bowlers that Marino played with in his career. I'd bet you but your track record speaks for itself.....

Here are the Pro-Bowlers that Marino had on offense while Miami's QB. There are 8 of them and many made it multiple times, so compared to the weapons available and the protected afforded him, Marino was in a better position. Brady did more with less, that's an indesputable fact.....

Marino- Clayton, Duper, Dwight Stevenson… Roy Foster Ol,Keith Sims,OL, Irving Fryar, Keith Byars, Richmond Webb

I guess when your team is awful, and probably will be for quite some time, you hold on to the past with an iron grip.

The problem is, in this case, the past brings more pain. Somehow, the argument is being made that Marino is a better quarterback because he had all that physical talent and didn't win. Amazing.

Marino didn't have 1/2 the football intelligence, decision making ability, and leadership that Brady has. And those qualities, as Brady is proving, are very high on the "must have" list for winning quarterbacks. And, as Marino has proven, having extraordinary throwing ability is secondary.

This post is stupid.

Marino and Brady were/are both excellent QB's. I don't know what Marino said or didn't say, he was still a great QB.

I am old enough to have sat in Foxboro stadium and watch Marino play. You can't compare him to Bledsoe. Bledsoe was a boring statue. Marino was out there hustling and fighting like heck to win. Bledsoe hung on to the ball FOREVER while Marino had one of the quickest releases ever in football. I don't care if he got a ring -- he was great. He was a leader.

As far as Brady, he is the best QB we ever have had. And I include Grogan in that list -- he was my favorite Pats QB before Brady. Grogan will never get the props because he really played on some lousy teams. Believe me, the guy was great.

But Brady has that someone you cannot put your finger on. Smart, cool, looking down the field, not looking at specific receivers, good arm, can read defenses. I don't know, he is uncanny. Uncanny like Montana. If you just looked at Montana you would say what did he have??? It is kind of like that with Brady. They just "have" it.

Brady brings a big, fat smile to my face. And know that he has Moss, he is going to show this league just how good he really is.

Why is everything compared like this? I guess it is human nature.

But really, all the Manning vs. Brady, Brady vs. Marino stuff is pointless. Guess what, they are all great! Fins fans will say Marino, Pats fans will say Brady.

I never see the points of these arguments, because you can never convince the other teams fans.

The post I'm quoting is the reason why the phrase, "opinions are like @$$holes...everybody has one" was created. Question for the Marino hater, who was Brady's RB during all of his SB wins? Who was Elways? Who was Montanas? Who was Griese's? Now who was the best RB to ever tote the rock behind Marino?? Marino was Miami's offense, if it weren't for Marino's quick release and his ability to read defenses, it wouldn't matter if Marino had Jerry Rice and Marvin Harrison lined up outside he wouldn't be a HOF'er.

Come on man, take it easy. I respect Dan as a great QB. I was just having fun about his orangina complexion and post-career weenieness. You guys are so defensive about your Dan.

======================================

The bolded part of your post got me thinking.

Do you think that Dillon should go to the Hall because he got the stats and the ring.

Do you think Curtis Martin should not go to the hall because he has the stats but no ring.

To me the Hall of Fame is about individual achievement, and as such I have no problem with Marino being in it.

It is kind of an interesting topic though.

Marino belongs there but with an asterisk there because he didn't win the Super Bowl.:D

Last edited:
No way, not only can you create perverted stories but you can also point out typos? Damn, you're a bonafide PatriotsPride aren't you? I'm done with you, your intelect is lacking just as much as your orginality. I wish to keep this thread about Marino and not some loser who knows nothing about football. Peace out, doofus.

Boy, you are very easy to rile up. Fun, too. While it's true that everyone on this board hates you, at least you have that going for you.

Dan is a whiney little bi-atch. I'm not normally racist, but I have to tell you, he has the weirdest skin color of anyone I've ever seen: I hate that orange bastard. It's like he's half sunkist. At any rate, he is a lo-oo-oo-serrrrrrr.

A fine actor, though.

LOL...I agree.

Marino was obviously a big talent at qb, although I wouldn't put him at the top of the heap. But he is definitely stupid, and so it's unclear to me why he gets a prominent gig as a commentator. Honestly, Inside the NFL is just too damn white.

Remember how prima donna Dan Marino got all bollixed up a couple years ago when Boomah remarked after a Colts playoff loss to the Pats that Manning was in danger of becomming this decade's Dan Marino, a guy who just couldn't win the big one despite his team's talent.

Having read 4 pages of...Marino vs Brady...I come away with this conclusion... Belichick blows away Shula. When building a football team its all about allocation of assets. In the Shula era, Miami provided Marino most every asset possible on offense to succeed...an amazin OLine, the quickest WRs in the league, and a carte blanche game plan that allowed Marino to whip the ball around at will. Belichick, on the other hand, relied on mid round draft picks, castoffs, and over achievers, with Danial Graham being the only #1 pick used on offense during the 3 out 4 SB years. Scheme trumped talent on the offensive side. I won't even include the Jimmy Johnson era because he was dealt a declining Marino and a team full of holes.

One of the guys that Dan had at his disposal was a guy who set the record for pass catches by a running back, Keith Byars. I know he was brought up in the list of pro bowlers, but his contributions I think have been greatly undervalued.

Not to mention the Clayton, Duper, Fryar receiving corps.

From a physical standpoint, Marino had a stronger arm and a quicker release than Brady, but to say he was more accurate is stretching it. There were a lot of completions early in his career, and I me a LOT, where he would throw it up for grabs and one of those little receivers would outrun the defense or turn themselves inside out to go get it. Brady, in my view, has had to be more accurate because his receiving corps hasn't gotten the separation of more elite receivers...

until now! :cool:

Last edited:
That's 33 pro bowl players in 17 seasons, or almost two every season. Tom Brady has had Matt Light, Corey Dillon, and Troy Brown (3), in six season

What about the fact that Brady has had a top 10 defense throughout his whole career? Seymour, Bruschi, Vrable, Colvin, Samuel, Harrison.

The Ringless Wonder couldn't hold Tom's man purse. Puhleaze. Tired of whiny, sour grapes Danny Boy's mouth. The guy was the biggest big game egg layer of all time.

What about the fact that Brady has had a top 10 defense throughout his whole career? Seymour, Bruschi, Vrable, Colvin, Samuel, Harrison.

Miami's defense during Dan's time was underrated, did you see the earlier post about them twice having the #1 scoring defense in the league, #4 once? The running back thing is true, they didn't run the ball well as I recall.

If I'm starting a team today, you take Dan and I'll take Tom, I'm happy with my QB.

One other thing, you can't deny that Marino was a PR*CK to his teammates, while guys love playing with Brady.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back