pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story/445574p-375187c.html

End near as Curtis takes cut
New deal bad sign
BY RICH CIMINI
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

With two revealing moves in a five-day span, the Jets provided further evidence that Curtis Martin never may play for them again.

The trade for Kevan Barlow, which became official yesterday when the former 49ers running back passed the Jets' physical, speaks volumes because they agreed to take on a relatively large contract. Barlow, who has three years remaining on his deal, is due to make $2.5 million this season - not the kind of money that usually goes to a part-time player/insurance policy.

As a precursor to the trade, the Jets quietly renegotiated Martin's contract to cover themselves in the event that he doesn't play this season because of his knee injury, the Daily News has learned.

Martin was scheduled to earn $2.5 million in base salary, but he signed a "split" contract last Wednesday that reduces his 2006 salary to $810,000, the veteran's minimum. If he's placed on season-ending injured reserve, which seems more likely with each passing day, his salary would drop to $475,000.

That Martin agreed to the split contract, in effect, confirms the severity of his injury. It also created nearly $1.7 million in salary-cap room, which the Jets used for Barlow. Martin had to know they'd use the money to acquire his potential replacement, the latest example of his unselfish attitude. In February, he accepted a $3.8 million pay cut, helping the team out of a dismal cap situation.

Last edited:
Class man, that CuMar ... all the way !

Would that we could've held onto him.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a classy move by Martin - we all expect players - especially Patriots players - to put team first... but to forgoe collecting millions of dollars because its in the best interest of the team?

Of course, I expect that the Jets will find some way to make Curtis whole on the money he's giving up in some non-salary cap related service to the team - but still, saying "no" to guaranteed money isn't the norm in the NFL

I know this will probably spark a whole other debate about Curtis and his leaving the Patriots and whether he's a traitor - but he's always been AOK in my book

JoeSixPat said:
That is a classy move by Martin - we all expect players - especially Patriots players - to put team first... but to forgoe collecting millions of dollars because its in the best interest of the team?

Of course, I expect that the Jets will find some way to make Curtis whole on the money he's giving up in some non-salary cap related service to the team - but still, saying "no" to guaranteed money isn't the norm in the NFL

I know this will probably spark a whole other debate about Curtis and his leaving the Patriots and whether he's a traitor - but he's always been AOK in my book

I agree a class act, never embarassed the Pats, Jets or NFL... I don't view him as a traitor, more of an opportunist.

Curtis probably makes alot in endorsements and the such and will continue to do so for the next few years. I'm sure he'll find a nice cozy job in a booth somewhere calling games too (whether its ESPN, NFL Network, or so on). He's a classy guy and one of my favorite (former) Patriots, even if he only spent a few short years in Foxboro. It wasn't his fault the Jets offered him a huge contract they knew the Patriots couldn't match. He went the smart way, with the money.

Last edited:
Pretty much all but oficial now ... word is Curtis is finished.

Would have ben nice to see him stay here, but it was fun to watch him play anyways .... nothing but good things to say about Curtis.

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1162274883290230.xml&coll=1

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- The Jets' future Hall of Fame running back Curtis Martin won't play this season because of a bone-on-bone condition in his right knee and his career is likely over, several players and a team official told The Star-Ledger yesterday.

"He told me he's done," one player said. "He said he has bone-on-bone and he can't cut. Besides, he's not in any type of shape to play. The only way he would play is by some type of miracle.
"I think he's going to concentrate on his business opportunities. He feels he can make more money off the field than on it."

F-nut, What's up, couldn't you find a BB quote for your sig? :D

What a waste of a rare talent. He chased a few bucks and a HC who never sticks around to clean up his messes to a place where they basically ground him up for nothing.

MoLewisrocks said:
What a waste of a rare talent. He chased a few bucks and a HC who never sticks around to clean up his messes to a place where they basically ground him up for nothing.

Waste of talent? He's one of the top five rushers of all time. What a stupid thing to say.

Caspir said:
Waste of talent? He's one of the top five rushers of all time. What a stupid thing to say.

Yea that comment is inaccurate.. Martin was a key for the Jets during their playoff runs.. He helped turn the jets into a laughing stock into a competitve team.. And kept them there for years.. So saying his talent was wasted is wrong..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back