PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Commish telling Packers to make a desicion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, he should stay the heck out. How they run their team is (should be) none of his business.

I just don't see how he thinks it is a good idea for him to force the issue.

what is he going to do if this doesn't happen quickly like he urges?

This guy continues to proove us right about him being a moron. Its almost entertaining stress the almost.

I think that it's a good thing that he makes more enemies.

We can use all the enemies he can get.:D

This guy better count his days. They are numbered. Owners are not going to take to kindly to this guy tellling them how to spend their money or telling their teams how to manage their rosters.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/23/goodell-tells-packers-to-wrap-up-favre-fiasco/

I don't like it, personally. When did he become a de facto GM for teams? Next he will be telling Pioli to sing Mayo to X years for X dollars or not sign him at all.

Commish Gang Green is too micro for my taste, he needs to be worried more about the cba rather than what happens to Favre. The quicker the owners realize the mistake they made and move to replace him the better off this league will be.

I agree with everyone here. The commish has absolutely no business telling teams how to run their clubs. That said though, if Favre shows up to camp this week, the Packers can't turn him away, prevent him from playing. They can keep him off the first-team though, and that's their choice.

I think this is going to be the lasting legacy of Spygate...Goodell arbitrarily yeilding power to do what he thinks NFL fans want. Fans want the Pats severely punished for a minor rule violation, he gladly delivers. Fans what the Favre situation resolved, he forces the Packers hand. Goodell seems more concerned with public relations then what is good for a league. A commissioner sticking his nose in personnel decisions is not good for the league, or its players. Hopefully the owners will wake up and get rid of this power hungry idiot before he ruins the league.

I don't believe profootballtalk on this.

Simple as that.

I don't believe profootballtalk on this.

Simple as that.
I'm with you, I'll wait until it's reported somewhere credible before I comment.

On a side note, I'll be curious to see how Favre/Cook's game plan plays out. This past off season multiple Drew Rosenhaus clients showed up for mandatory workouts but didn't work out because their "back hurt", avoiding fines while trying to renegotiate their contracts. I can envision more than one player still under contract 'retiring' next season, avoiding minicamps, fines, and even part of training camp before 'unretiring' à la Michael Strahan, when the player feels like it or when the contract is renegotiated.

Worst.

Commissioner.

EVER.

I don't even understand why this is a league issue.
How does it hurt the league to let this drag out?
The Packers will resolve it when they want to resolve it. If they are forced to sell the rights to Favre cheap, it damages their position. How does that help the league?

Did the NFL tell the Patriots to hurry up with the Deion Branch deal? They held out, and basically got their price - although his loss hurt the team that year.
Did the NFL tell the Raiders to deal Moss?

There are disgruntled players every year. They are more often the higher-performing guys, hence the more famous guys. I don't imagine that ESPN will run hourly updates if Heath Evans wants out, no offense to Heath Evans. How is this any different than any off-season?

It just doesn't make a ton of sense.

Ok, The Packers have confirmed the story is true.

So now I can say it: what a jackass. I wonder how teams will feel about this, knowing their toes can be stepped on next. I thought that's why players and teams had contracts, to iron out what each's responsibilities would be to the other. I understand where he's going with this, Favre is a very popular player, but he's now saying that a popular player can whine his way out of a contract. I can't see that going over well with the 32 owners.

Ok, The Packers have confirmed the story is true.

So now I can say it: what a jackass. I wonder how teams will feel about this, knowing their toes can be stepped on next. I thought that's why players and teams had contracts, to iron out what each's responsibilities would be to the other. I understand where he's going with this, Favre is a very popular player, but he's now saying that a popular player can whine his way out of a contract. I can't see that going over well with the 32 owners.

If the Packers confirmed it did they comment on it?

I agree with everyone here. The commish has absolutely no business telling teams how to run their clubs. That said though, if Favre shows up to camp this week, the Packers can't turn him away, prevent him from playing.
Yeah, they can. He is retired, not an active NFL player. He can't simply show up to practice.

The only way they have to accept him is if he files re-instatement papers.
Then the Pack has to let him in or cut him. Or trade him.

EXCEPT, they can still deny him entry, as the Dolphins did with Culpepper and the Titans did with McNair. Favre would have to file a grievance, which would be upheld, but that would give the Pack another month to decide what to do. That is the only scenario that makes sense if they are working a trade. You don't want him in camp, disrupting things or worse getting injured and ruining a trade and forcing the Packl to absorb his IR salary.

Anyway, Favre's agent says Favre has no intention of filing re-instatement papers. Favre wants to play. He doesn't want to go to training camp.

The Packers should take their time and do whats right for their team. Why should they be put in a position to make a rash decision just cause Goodell thinks hes god?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back