PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Colts lure Kerry Collins out of retirement...

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFAIK it's as simply as "you avoid scalpels to your spine unless/until you determine it's absolutely, positively necessary." I can't fault him for that.

OTOH, I can get a chuckle out of this article from May, chuckling over how the Patriots wasted a draft pick on Ryan Mallett while the Colts wisely understood that there's no point thinking about backup quarterbacks at this point:

Indy.com | Post: Bob Kravitz: There's no need to rush to replace Manning | Indianapolis, Indiana

Karma, she is the beyotch, no?

This is what happens when you thumb your nose at Fate. She calls her sister Karma and when two women get together discussing someone, no good is likely to come out of those talks. :rocker:

I always find it funny when someone perceives backups to be useless unless the starter gets injured. Even if Brady doesn't miss a game for the next 5 years, there will still have been value in having a capable backup during that time. Why? Because nobody could see the future and know that he wouldn't get hurt at the time. Football is a violent sport- the likelihood of any player on the field, including your QB, getting injured is high enough that not planning for it is just negligent.

That's why the Cassel pick would have been at least a "very good" one even if he hadn't started a single game in NE: for a seventh-round draft pick and about $1M in salary, the Pats had three seasons of not having a capable backup who could replace Brady if he got injured. [I say three years b/c they had Flutie in 2005.]

They should have gotten Teebow so he could lay his hands on Peyton's neck.

Does this need a sarcasm tag?:D

... But today's signing of Kerry Collins combined with this report should send Manning plummeting down fantasy draft boards. ...

I'm hoping Manning drops in my draft. I'll take him in a late round because in October h will be Peyton Fricken Manning again.

:rofl: Oh man, that's precious!

Kravitz Foresight, in May:
It’s hard to pinpoint exactly when the Colts should begin looking for Manning’s replacement, but I know this much: not now and not for another year or three.

Kravitz Hindsight, in August:
The Colts continue to play with fire with their backup quarterback spot....If Manning does go down, and the Colts are stuck with their current pair, I retain the right to say, 'I told you so.'"

Yeah, we all make mistakes, but we don't have the chutzpah to say "I told you so" when we're proven wrong!

:rofl: Oh man, that's precious!

Kravitz Foresight, in May:

Kravitz Hindsight, in August:

Yeah, we all make mistakes, but we don't have the chutzpah to say "I told you so" when we're proven wrong!

You should email him Lol. :D

This board is the most reactionary FOS fan base I've ever seen in my life. If Manning misses a game or two (which I don't think is going to happen) the Colts brought in a quality vet in Collins to hold the fort until Manning gets back.

The trouble with you guys is you all overreact and act like you are some kind of football experts. You constantly talk about how the "Colts are done" and "Polian is an idiot" year after year after year after year, and yet the Colts win year after year after year.

You talk about the Colts failing to prepare if Manning goes down, yet you talk about how the Colts have no chance anyway, if Manning goes down. You talk about how Manning is overrated, yet you talk about how he's all the Colts have.

You talk about how the Colts backup situation is horrible, yet you all were screaming like girls when Brady went down for the Pats to rush out and sign someone because you all thought Cassel was terrible. He sucked in that preseason and many (if not most) of you around here were saying he should have been cut and when Brady went down, you were in panic mode saying the Pats needed to get a QB. And if want to deny it, we can hit the archives from 2008 and read the posts.

Really, all you Pats fans were saying "we need to sign Dante Culpepper when Brady went down......and now, because Manning MIGHT (I doubt it) miss a game or two you sit back and say "I told you so" or act like you know what you're talking about?

Sure. Pat's fans wanted Dante Culpepper in 2008 because you all know so much about football.

You guys were all screaming about how BB had "lost it" after the blowout to the Ravens in 2009. Again, if you want, we can hit the archives.

You all are the most kneejerk, reactionary, fanbase in all of football.

Every single season you guys post "the Colts are going to take a step back this season" or "the Colts are falling". Maybe this will finally be the year, but seeing as how you guys say it every single year, it doesn't really mean much when you say it. And if this is this the year the Colts "fall" I'm sure you'll all be here crowing about how you "knew it", completely ignoring the fact that you say it every damn year.

Personally, if I was you, I'd be more worried about the Jets and the Pats inability to stop teams on 3rd down. But that's just me.

And one last thing, earlier in this thread someone talked about the Colts making excuses after losses to the Pats. That's pretty rich, you guys want to talk about all the excuses Pats fans make?

Let's see.....the Colts/Polian changed the rules, piping in crowd noise, the Pats had the flu, turning up the thermostat in the RCA Dome (my personal all time favorite, Pats fans talk about the Colts being soft because they play indoors but apparently all you need to do to beat the Pats is turn the thermostat up a little), "the NFL wants the Colts to win", "the NFL is against the Patriots", oh, and "he actually got the first down" on 4th and 2. Those are just a few.

Really, you guys kill me.

Last edited:
This board is the most reactionary FOS fan base I've ever seen in my life. If Manning misses a game or two (which I don't think is going to happen) the Colts brought in a quality vet in Collins to hold the fort until Manning gets back.

The trouble with you guys is you all overreact and act like you are some kind of football experts. You constantly talk about how the "Colts are done" and "Polian is an idiot" yet year after year after year after year, and yet the Colts win year after year after year.

You talk about the Colts failing to prepare if Manning goes down, yet you talk about how the Colts have no chance anyway, if Manning goes down. You talk about how Manning is overrated, yet you talk about how he's all the Colts have.

You talk about how the Colts backup situation is horrible, yet you all were screaming like girls when Brady went down for the Pats to rush out and sign someone because you all thought Cassel was terrible. He sucked in that preseason and many (if not most) of you around here were saying he should have been cut and when Brady went down, you were in panic mode saying the Pats needed to get a QB. And if want to deny it, we can hit the archives from 2008 and read the posts.

Really, all you Pats fans were saying "we need to sign Dante Culpepper when Brady went down......and now, because Manning MIGHT (I doubt it) miss a game or two you sit back and say "I told you so" or act like you know what you're talking about?

Sure. Pat's fans wanted Dante Culpepper in 2008 because you all know so much about football.

You guys were all screaming about how BB had "lost it" after the blowout to the Ravens in 2009. Again, if you want, we can hit the archives.

Every single season you guys post "the Colts are going to take a step back this season" or "the Colts are falling". Maybe this will finally be the year, but seeing as how you guys say it every single year, it doesn't really mean much when you say it. And if this is this the year the Colts "fall" I'm sure you'll all be here crowing about how you "knew it", completely ignoring the fact that you say it every damn year.

Personally, if I was you, I'd be more worried about the Jets and the Pats inability to stop teams on 3rd down. But that's just me.

And one last thing, earlier in this thread someone talked about the Colts making excuses after losses to the Pats. That's pretty rich, you guys want to talk about all the excuses Pats fans make?

Let's see.....the Colts/Polian changed the rules, piping in crowd noise, the Pats had the flu, turning up the thermostat in the RCA Dome (my personal all time favorite, Pats fans talk about the Colts being soft because they play indoors but apparently all you need to do to beat the Pats is turn the thermostat up a little), "the NFL wants the Colts to win", "the NFL is against the Patriots", oh, and "he actually got the first down" on 4th and 2. Those are just a few.

TL;DR Don't give a ****.

Nah, this is nothing. If you want to see "the sky is falling on the Colts!" talk, go over to ColtFreaks.com these days. ;)

The trouble with you guys is you all overreact and act like you are some kind of football experts. You constantly talk about how the "Colts are done" and "Polian is an idiot" yet year after year after year after year, and yet the Colts win year after year after year.

Silly colts fans..trix are for kids

The trouble with you guys is you all overreact and act like you are some kind of football experts. You constantly talk about how the "Colts are done" and "Polian is an idiot" year after year after year after year, and yet the Colts win year after year after year.

This board is comprised of hundreds of different posters. Some of us believe A, some believe B. Every large group of people in existence looks like an indecisive mess if you lump them together and assign them the thoughts of anything that any one person said. None of the Colts forums are any different, in that respect.

Good to know that you care enough to waste that much time pounding out such an inflamed response, though. The inferiority complex is strong in you ;). We don't care about the Colts anymore, there are bigger and better teams to worry about.

Last edited:

Gee, I guess I can stop reading the board if everyone believes the same thing and all it adds up to is hatred of the Colts.
Here I thought this board had 1000s of members and 100s of consistent posters each with their own mind, bias, likes, dislikes, opinions and attitudes. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

The irony is that the Cassel comparison really highlights the problem. Patriot fans might have gone into panic mode in 2008, but the team simply turned to their backup who they had prepared well for the job. Whereas its the Colts themselves doing the panicking this time.

(Seriously, picking up a QB off the street a couple of weeks before the season starts and counting on him to start because you don't have any backup who belongs in the NFL? :nooo:)

The Colts????

I haven't thought about the horse faced inbreeders since last year....that kid has some serious anger issues....hey pal...here's a tip...we are at war with Wrecks Cryan and Stanchez Statutory Rapleton the III...you and the rest of Cowpie County are insignificant horse flies as far as we are concerned.Get a good night's sleep and then jump on your pogo stick in the morning and get hopping to the 4H "Spot Your Lucky Heifer" contest...maybe you'll win a blue towel big enough to cry yourself to sleep with.

The Colts????

I haven't thought about the horse faced inbreeders since last year....that kid has some serious anger issues....hey pal...here's a tip...we are at war with Wrecks Cryan and Stanchez Statutory Rapleton the III...you and the rest of Cowpie County are insignificant horse flies as far as we are concerned.Get a good night's sleep and then jump on your pogo stick in the morning and get hopping to the 4H "Spot Your Lucky Heifer" contest...maybe you'll win a blue towel big enough to cry yourself to sleep with.

Speaking of the horsies just watched "Secretariat" with my wife.
Diane Lane is still hot! I'd....aw forget it.

Last edited:
The irony is that the Cassel comparison really highlights the problem. Patriot fans might have gone into panic mode in 2008, but the team simply turned to their backup who they had prepared well for the job. Whereas its the Colts themselves doing the panicking this time.

(Seriously, picking up a QB off the street a couple of weeks before the season starts and counting on him to start because you don't have any backup who belongs in the NFL? :nooo:)
Agreed. The irony in the Cassel situation is he was more prepared than any of us gave him credit for. As the season progressed the shackles were removed and he went on to demonstrate starter calibre QB play.

The issue is the lateness of the signing, not the signing itself. The Colts' offense is a very simple one in terms of what's being done, but it requires great timing because most of the pass players are based upon timing patterns rather than reads. That timing generally takes practice.

All boards overreact to some extent.

You don't actually read this board, do you? One of the things we talk about, a lot, is the bevy of top end talent Manning has had put around him over the years. When people here talk about Manning being all the Colts have, they are generally referring specifically to the Colts' QB situation, and Polian's actions here have made it abundantly clear that we've been correct.

Hit the archives, dude. Look me up and find all the panic about Cassel.

Matt Cassel had a pretty good game against the Dolphins in his time prior to taking over (116.2 rating, 2TDs), and he'd won his job by beating out the likes of Testaverde and Flutie. Painter beat out the mailman and a shoe shine boy, and his best QB rating in his 2 games is 15.1.

Last edited:
The issue is the lateness of the signing, not the signing itself. The Colts' offense is a very simple one in terms of what's being done, but it requires great timing because most of the pass players are based upon timing patterns rather than reads. That timing generally takes practice.

All boards overreact to some extent.

You don't actually read this board, do you? One of the things we talk about, a lot, is the bevy of top end talent Manning has had put around him over the years. When people here talk about Manning being all the Colts have, they are generally referring specifically to the Colts' QB situation, and Polian's actions here have made it abundantly clear that we've been correct.

Hit the archives, dude. Look me up and find all the panic about Cassel.

Matt Cassel had a pretty good game against the Dolphins in his time prior to taking over (116.2 rating, 2TDs), and he'd won his job by beating out the likes of Testaverde and Flutie. Painter beat out the mailman and a shoe shine boy, and his best QB rating in his 2 starts is 15.1.

Actually his rating is 9.1 :D

I was bagging on Belichick long before the loss in 2009. I thought he'd had a horrible offseason leading up to that year, and I thought (think) the Seymour trade was idiotic. Guess what? He's still the best in the business, despite about a year and a half of poor decision making by his standards. However, on a message board, we discuss the moves both on their own and as part of the greater whole. Sometimes that means we'll be bashing, sometimes that means we'll be applauding.

Nonsense.

Kind of a silly argument, since you're clearly pointing to minority arguments and pretending they are majorities. Until the Jets/Rex era, the Colts were the team that most of us here focused on year after year.

I think it's safe to say the people here are much more worried about the Jets than the Colts this year. I'd argue that's rightly so, by the way. I think even someone such as yourself would agree that the Colts base their team almost exclusively on the draft and low end free agents, and the drafts have been extremely mediocre going back to at least 2007.

Polian did change the rules in a manner that greatly benefited his team. I would think that even Colts fans knew that to be beyond question. Also, the noise issue is brought up about the Colts by a lot of fan bases.

And replay showed that Faulk did get the first down. We broke that down pretty conclusively. The officials made a bad call. Belichick was still wrong to go for it, IMO, so you can call that part of your panic if it makes you feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back