PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Colts and Titans Had "Agreement"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dream of the day where the colts need a lost from a team to make the playoff and that happens to be playing the patriots and the patriots has nothing to play for.

I believe in karma. one day the colts will be on the opposite side of the road and every team will remember what they did in 07

and I'll say the Colts should have won one more game and not been in that position.

Well then I guess the question needs to be asked was it a nod from across the field from coach to coach or some covert op to manipulate the game throughout or just that one play.

How was it communicated?

What was said?

I did see Polian on the grassy knoll :)

Honestly, if its that one play that was a nod across the field, meh.

If it was a bigger more devious conspiracy to throw the game, then it should be investigated and prosecuted to the fullest... oh and someone should apologize to Darryl Reid because he didn't get the memo. :D

Yes, I used two smiley faces in one post and yes it feels emasculating.

It's probably that nod, but with a playoff spot on the line - even that seems to be too much to me. The Pats were fined a 1st rounder for something that had far less bearing on the result of a game.

It's probably that nod, but with a playoff spot on the line - even that seems to be too much to me. The Pats were fined a 1st rounder for something that had far less bearing on the result of a game.

I would equate it to putting in your scrubs in basketball in a blow out if your the losing team or tipping over your king in chess when your in check mate, but thats just my opinion.

The whole Pats thing, I won't touch on here out of respect, plus its way over to me.

Last edited:
Let's face it, there's a lot of smoke around the Colts, but there will never be fire. We should accept it and move on.

There is one set of rules for the Pats, and another set for the 31 other teams. Why? Because BB doesn't smile enough, bake cookies, and most importantly, he's not a rat.

It took what? 25 years for Karma to come back and bite the Raiders? It will happen someday, everybody always gets their due.

I would equate it to putting in your scrubs in basketball in a blow out if your the losing team or tipping over your king in chess when your in check mate, but thats just my opinion.

The whole Pats thing, I won't touch on here out of respect, plus its way over to me.

The fact that you won't touch on it here, Speed, says that you see it as something much bigger than it actually is. Just like most people.

We see it as jaywalking (which it is), but you don't. That's fine, you are entitled to your opinion. But how come when it could be something much more serious than jaywalking (noise, collusion, refs etc..) and it involves the Colts, do you see it as nothing?

Let's face it, there's a lot of smoke around the Colts, but there will never be fire. We should accept it and move on.

There is one set of rules for the Pats, and another set for the 31 other teams. Why? Because BB doesn't smile enough, bake cookies, and most importantly, he's not a rat.

He may not bake cookies but I hear he makes a mean BBPBJ sandwich:)

Like I said, I'm OK with the Colts laying down. They earned that right. If BB shared Dungy's belief that resting subs was what was best for his team, you'd better believe I would fully support his decision to do so.

But there's a little too much at stake for their to be any communication of it b/c the Titans were playing for a playoff spot. I have no problem with the course of action, it's the potential fact that the Titans were aware of the course of action in the closing minutes of that game that bothers me.

The issue here is not who makes the playoffs, and who doesn't. The issue here I think is health. You can do things on your own end to keep your guys healthy, like resting starters when you have a game or seeding locked up. There is nothing unfair about that, any team that has it wrapped up can do this. Take care of your own business and go for it.

the problem is the agreement with the other team. Not every team can do this because not every team has the same relationship with the potential agreeing party. Plus not every team plays a team that benefits from said agreement. The giants didn't have this option, their choice was to play the game outright or put its back ups in to get destroyed and possibly hurt.

The outcome: Indy got to play a game that it knew would be safer to play even for it's back ups because it had an agreement in place to take a knee rather than force another play which could include injuries. They knew there would be no bobby wade taking out there guys knees because of the agreement.

Pick your battles, guys. The agreement was just a timesaver since Dungy would have had Sorgi take a knee if they used that timeout and got the ball back anyway. As for the Browns, they'll be the first to admit that they missed the playoffs because they gave away the Steelers game and blew the Cincy game, not because Dungy rested his starters and colluded with Fischer on and end-of-game clock situation.

Regards,
Chris

If Indy sat down with Tennessee before the game and said: "We're going to let you win. Let's agree to both play at half speed and make sure nobody gets hurt" then I would have a problem. THAT would be collusion.

What happened here is that both teams played a tough game. The victory was meaningless to the Colts and the chance of getting it with Sorgi + 15 seconds on the clock was negligible. So the Colts said "Why bother?" and let Tennessee know they were done for the day. I don't have a problem with it at all.

We're just making ourselves look like crazy homers even arguing this.

Last edited:
Guys, what was the agreement supposed to be?

The Titans had the ball on, like the 27 yard line...and up by 6. You know they have that Bironas...the kicker that nailed us last year for 60 yards...

If Coach Dungy calls a timeout, they just sail one through the uprights...and we're down 9 points with something like 16 or seventeen seconds left to make 2 scores...with our 3rd string.

I'd say Dungy agreed to not risk our team's health going for the impossible.

titans and colts should have their 1st round picks stripped like NE did, and a fine

this is about as bad as the ref fixing nba games

nfl has to send a message

this is about as bad as the ref fixing nba games

The game was over...27 yard line...down by 6...one time out...and our starters on the bench. Anything else was wasting time.

If Indy sat down with Tennessee before the game and said: "We're going to let you win. Let's agree to both play at half speed and make sure nobody gets hurt" then I would have a problem. THAT would be collusion.

What happened here is that both teams played a tough game. The victory was meaningless to the Colts and the chance of getting it with Sorgi + 15 seconds on the clock was negligible. So the Colts said "Why bother?" and let Tennessee know they were done for the day. I don't have a problem with it at all.

This I would be OK with also.

Sadly, like must things that involve shady actions by the Colts, the only noise that will be made will be here on this board. It is times like this when you see that Goodell truely has his head up his arse when it comes to the sport of football.

I agree with this comment, but the fact that Goodell does not have a "smoking gun" will make this all go away. Both Fisher and Dungy will say, "we didn't actually talk, we read each others minds" instead of actually talking. They only way punishment would be doled out is if they had a tape recording of the two actually agreeing to change the outcome of a game.

The fact that you won't touch on it here, Speed, says that you see it as something much bigger than it actually is. Just like most people.

We see it as jaywalking (which it is), but you don't. That's fine, you are entitled to your opinion. But how come when it could be something much more serious than jaywalking (noise, collusion, refs etc..) and it involves the Colts, do you see it as nothing?

As far as not talking about it on here, there is nothing I can say that would be relevant to you all. You all love your team and like good fans when you feel they were unjustly attacked, you won't budge on protecting them. Can I convince someone differently? No way, whats the point. Plus its over, as much as I can't make anyone think anything, the Pats fans aren't going to accept anything less than this was wrong or their team was wronged. Its mainly the same reason I don't get into the every other day Manning v. Brady argument. It's pointless.

Now about noisegate or any other thing that comes across the board about the Colts. First of all, half of its posted by a few fans that want to self congratulate by being down on the Colts, which is fine. For example, the whole Moss is 231% better than Wayne thread recently. However, the boards own Pats fans usually self police on these things and come down on these, imo, nonsensical threads. Very lastly, you said it or someone did, there is only smoke, never fire. They never get convicted, hell they never get charged on the noisegates and such. So therefore its not an issue, its not been proven.

Another couple of side notes, I don't like excuses, I don't like conspiracies, I tend to moreso internalize it more because I think that builds roads to improvement. I think excuses, like the refs, like blaming a loss on a bad call should be substitued with wow they should have made one more play or they should have not been in a position to let a bad call effect them. Hell Polian is the king of blaming external things, I think he's just as wrong.

I mean its just a different mindset than some. There are some on here that feel the same way I do, though and won't use all these excuses or have to still play the disrespect card, they just bask in their teams success especially the Pats who are, so far, perfect. It confounds me why people don't enjoy it more.

I'm still basking in the Superbowl victory last year (the first time my whole life a pro team I follow won the big enchilda at anything)

So I guess when the Colts get convicted of one of these atrocities, I'll come on here and completely condemn them for doing so, but until then its just smoke. :)

Last edited:
As far as not talking about it on here, there is nothing I can say that would be relevant to you all. You all love your team and like good fans when you feel they were unjustly attacked, you won't budge on protecting them. Can I convince someone differently? No way, whats the point. Plus its over, as much as I can't make anyone think anything, the Pats fans aren't going to accept anything less than this was wrong or their team was wronged. Its mainly the same reason I don't get into the every other day Manning v. Brady argument. It's pointless.

Now about noisegate or any other thing that comes across the board about the Colts. First of all, half of its posted by a few fans that want to self congratulate by being down on the Colts, which is fine. For example, the whole Moss is 231% better than Wayne thread recently. However, the boards own Pats fans usually self police on these things and come down on these, imo, nonsensical threads. Very lastly, you said it, there is only smoke, never fire. They never get convicted, hell they never get charged on the noisegates and such. So therefore its not an issue, its not been proven.

Another couple of side notes, I don't like excuses, I don't like conspiracies, I tend to moreso internalize it more because I think that builds roads to improvement. I think excuses, like the refs, like blaming a loss on a bad call should be substitued with wow they should have made one more play or they should have not been in a position to let a bad call effect them. Hell Polian is the king of blaming external things, I think he's just as wrong.

I mean its just a different mindset than some. There are some on here that feel the same way I do, though and won't use all these excuses or have to still play the disrespect card, they just bask in their teams success especially the Pats who are, so far, perfect. It confounds me why people don't enjoy it more.

I'm still basking in the Superbowl victory last year (the first time my whole life a pro team I follow won the big enchilda at anything)

So I guess when the Colts get convicted of one of these atrocities, I'll come on here and completely condemn them for doing so, but until them its just smoke. :)

Good answer. As always, you make Colt fans look so bad by being so damn sensible.

This is a bigger deal than SpyGate. Still not a big deal though.

I don't think that Spygate was a big deal, but telling someone you are not going to call time out isn't bigger.

Collusion, if that is what occurred, is against the rules.

If they had gotten together before the game and planned out the game that would be collusion, holding up a white flag at the end of the game is not.

If this is indeed true, then I would equate it to the level of the NBA ref that was betting on games in which he was working.

Are you freakin' kidding me?

We're just making ourselves look like crazy homers even arguing this.

I agree. Even if the Titans would have had to punt, there is NO way that the Colts would run another play and take a chance at getting hurt. They would have taken a knee. The only effect of this was who was taking the last knee, Collins or Sorgi. This had zero impact on who won the game.

Thats just a difference of opinion. If the Pats weren't going for perfection and the last two games were meaningless and BB wanted to sit ALL of his starters the whole game, its his right for sure and if the teams vying for a spot were mad, too bad. You should have won in week 9 or whenever to put yourself in position.

No, no, no, you idiot!

It's not about resting players, and it's not about taking a knee.

It's about a quid pro quo, whereby 2 teams agreed, in advance, to run plays and the clock in a predetermined sequence that permitted a desired outcome for both parties.

In the real world, that's an antitrust violation called collusion, which is punishable by fines and/or imprisonment.

Yeah, yeah, I know - the NFL has antitrust exemption. Not that that is the issue involved here.

The issue, as many have stated more eloquently than me, is that the "integrity" of the game, which Lord Goodell has expressed manifest piousness for, has been impugned.

It had the potential to affect the outcome of a not only a game, but final standings that affect playoff possibilities.

Or, as Lord Goodell might put it, the very appearance of impropriety makes this a dastardly deed.

Like it or not, that's what it is. Nothing more, nothing less.

Stop employing strawmen arguments with that dog and pony show you bring. You're not impressing anyone, and you're not going to win the argument with such pedestrian tactics.

What works at the Indy Star won't work here.

Sorry....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye