PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT:Chiefs fire Todd Haley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: OT: Todd Haley Fired

Through December12, the St Louis Rams average 11 points per game, with the offense ranked 31st in the league. This, despite talent with Bradford, Steven Jackson, and a new O-line.
The Broncos lost almost every one of their last 20 games under McDaniels.

I think the question should not be whether McDaniels will be KC's head coach, but whether he will even have a coordinator job next year or be fired.

Correction. I just checked and their 11 points a game actually puts the Rams as the worst offense in the league, not 31st in the league. 31st are the Chiefs at 13 points a game.

I don't know. McDaniels without the personnel responsibilities might work. McDaniels' biggest problem in Denver was he was a horrible personnel guy. With Pioli shopping for the groceries, McDaniels might succeed. We know Cassel can run his offense. McDaniels worked for Crennel when Crennel was here and McDaniels was a defensive coaching assistant (2002-2003)

The problem is that Pioli's grocery shopping in KC is still in question. Hes made some decent personnel decisions and some not-so-great-ones.

The real question is why, if Pioli was thinking of leaving, he didn't take McDaniels with him. I can't imagine that Pioli didn't know that BB was grooming McDaniels to be a HC. . . .

Because Pioli was still trying to decide which opening he would persue when Josh got scooped by Denver. I also think ala RAC and Charlie there is a quid pro quo with Bill that when he backs your play you don't poach his staff like Mangidiot did on his way out.

I'm surprised Pioli didn't try to keep Charlie from taking that KU job last week but he likely has his sights on a younger HC like Josh or is going to put RAC at the helm and further groom someone like Josh and maybe give Mangidiot another shot at DC... Lots of possibilities now that the golf pro is history. It was a poor choice but one I believe driven by the unexpected reluctance of Kirk Ferentz to leave college when the timing was right for Pioli to leave here...

Matt Cassel must be ecstatic...

can't say I feel bad for him, never liked his attitude.

I hope this helps Matty C!

Not exactly surprised!

I'm sure that they are going to name Romeo as the replacement HC for the rest of the season. I would go with Romeo as the permanent HC. Everyone that has ever played for him seems to love him, he is a great defensive coach, I would hire Romeo..

Of course, if they don't I think that Romeo should quit in disgust and come back to the Pats as the DC......

The problem is that Pioli's grocery shopping in KC is still in question. Hes made some decent personnel decisions and some not-so-great-ones.

Pioli has always contended that any GM's job is to get the HC what he needs to succeed. Whether he hired you or you hired him. I think Haley's wish list and Pioli's own were a little bit at odds, because Pioli wanted to build a foundation while Haley is impatient and egotistical and he wanted to win now to solidify his post. He was a poor choice on so many levels, but he had fringe experience in the system from their JETS days I think Pioli felt that would make him workable. It didn't. Pioli wanted to get rid of Bowe but Haley envisions himself some sort of receiver guru. I doubt Pioli wanted to part with Gonsalez out of the gate or even his veteran pro bowl RG this season - any more than he wanted to lose Charlie after one playoff season. But the golf pro made it difficult to hold on to anyone he butted heads with.

Name one GM who doesn't have a mixed bag.

Love it. Haley deserves it.

And McDaniels would be a mistake hire, which Pioli already made once.

I'm sure that they are going to name Romeo as the replacement HC for the rest of the season. I would go with Romeo as the permanent HC. Everyone that has ever played for him seems to love him, he is a great defensive coach, I would hire Romeo..

Of course, if they don't I think that Romeo should quit in disgust and come back to the Pats as the DC......

Absolutely. Romeo did a decent job in a horrible situation. Stood up to Winslow some and generally had the respect of the players, I believe. Backstabbed from the GM spot.

McDaniels, in contrast, was terrible.

They can't do that to Ben Stiller!

I would love to see RAC get an honest crack at another (non-Cleveland) HCing gig.

I would love to see RAC get an honest crack at another (non-Cleveland) HCing gig.

RAC has a good chance to do well his 2nd shot as HC if given the opportunity. Hopefully he's grown since his first experience. This is a guy with 5 Superbowl Rings.

I like RAC better than Haley. I never understood why Pioli brought in "his players" when Haley was the one who was supposed to coach them. RAC should do much better and is simply a better fit with Pioli and his players

This whole thing baffles me a little. The Chiefs did well last year, won their division, etc. This year, injured QB put to IR and replaced by a failure at backup.

Todd Haley might be a jerk but he didn't seem entirely unsuccessful. In my travels, I've found jerks are the ones that tend to get hired, not fired, as long as they are successful jerks--especially if they are successful jerks.

According to the Kansas City Star, Haley considered resigning so he could avoid the confidentiality agreement. He and Pioli hate each other. I am sure that he would have slung a lot of mud at Pioli. Some of it might have been true. The fact that he would consider that rather than get paid just to sling mud at Pioli kinda tells me that he is really a loose cannon.

Haley saw ax coming, had talked of resigning last week - KansasCity.com

This whole thing baffles me a little. The Chiefs did well last year, won their division, etc. This year, injured QB put to IR and replaced by a failure at backup.

Todd Haley might be a jerk but he didn't seem entirely unsuccessful. In my travels, I've found jerks are the ones that tend to get hired, not fired, as long as they are successful jerks--especially if they are successful jerks.

Pioli and Haley hate each other. Haley ran Charlie Weis out of town. Haley refuses to run the system that Pioli wanted him to run when hired.

LaCanfora on NFLN: Haley didn't buy into Pioli's desire to install a Patriots-like system.

Lombardi suggests McDaniels as HC b/c of Matt Cassel and Tim Tebow. He also suggests Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz as a less likely possibility.

Last year was his second season as HC but the first season with RAC and Chalie as his coordinators... His first season was abyssmal. He devalued Cassel out of the gate because he wasn't his guy and he nearly got him killed in 2009 after firing Chan Gailey who was his holdover OC on the eve of the season. Once Charlie arrived things got back on track until Haley started to exert himself heading into the playoffs... Next thing you know Charlie is headed back to college. This season he installed a puppet OC and playcalling became so tortured (since Haley wanted to control it but he had to make it look like the clown in the booth was) Cassel was exploding in frustration at and eventually on the sidelines because they couldn't get playcalls in on time. Pioli was rumored to have been ready to fire him weeks ago, but then they started winning so he had to wait until that ceased... He's reportedly an arrogant little snot that no one can get along with.

Haley's claim to fame was that he was the OC of the AZ Cardinals (whose former Steeler OC HC wouldn't let him call plays until midway through that season) when Warner led them to a superbowl. He bounced around the league as a WR's coach and the Dallas passing game coach (LOL - do they divy things up like that anywhere else besides Washington when Snyder hired 4 HC's at once...). He was a coaching assistant back in NY when Parcell's went to the JETS, but he got the position by virtue of nepotism because his old man was in the JETS personnel department after a long stint with the Steelers).

LaCanfora onNFLN: Haley didn't buy into Pioli's desire to install a Patriots-like system. Lombardi suggests McDaniels as HC b/c of Matt Cassel and Tim Tebow. He also suggests Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz as a less likely possibility.

Ferentz was always intended to be his first choice. But for some reason he opted not to make the move when Pioli was ready to. Don't know if his situation has changed, thought it had to do with coaching his kid.

How arrogant of Haley to not buy in to installing a Patriots like system when Pioli was the trophy catch as a GM and Haley was the last available option at HC who only got the nod because he had some exposure to the system in NY... That's the arrogance.

If Scott is smart and lucky, Spags and or his OC will be canned after the season and he can leave RAC at the helm and bring in Josh and Mangidiot and let them duke it out as a potential successor to RAC. Contract season baby, brings out the best in coordinators too many times. Those two would have to really produce over a 2-3 year period in order to get serious consideration from outside organizations as more than coordinators again... That would bring some stability and everybody would be rowing in the same direction for a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes