OT: Chargers Gates could start year on PUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

slash83

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
http://rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=118252

Antonio Gates ran and made cuts on his surgically repaired foot in front of a trainer Monday, but Chargers coach Norv Turner says Gates is a candidate to begin the regular season on PUP.
It's the first time Gates has run in front of the media all offseason, but apparently the team isn't too encouraged. This is also the first time Turner has admitted how unclear Gates' status is. The All Pro estimates he's currently only 65-70%. Continue monitoring him closely before drafting him. Jul. 21 - 8:42 pm et
Source: chargers.com

If so he would miss the Pats game which would be a huge blow for SD.

Our TE Dave Thomas is also recovering from a foot injury; in his 2nd year of effort. The foot has an incredibly high number of small bones, blood supply for proper healing is a problem and even with crutches it's difficult to stay off a foot injury well enough for it to heal quickly.

http://rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=118252

Antonio Gates ran and made cuts on his surgically repaired foot in front of a trainer Monday, but Chargers coach Norv Turner says Gates is a candidate to begin the regular season on PUP.
It's the first time Gates has run in front of the media all offseason, but apparently the team isn't too encouraged. This is also the first time Turner has admitted how unclear Gates' status is. The All Pro estimates he's currently only 65-70%. Continue monitoring him closely before drafting him. Jul. 21 - 8:42 pm et
Source: chargers.com

If so he would miss the Pats game which would be a huge blow for SD.

Chargers fans are already getting their excuses ready, believe you me.

David Thomas I believe is like 90% recovered

Gates has one of those injuries that he may never really recover from. To bad, although I hate the Chargers, he is a great player and a great story (coming from nowhere to become the best TE in the league).

I think the Chargers could struggle more than people think. I still have my doubts about Rivers' return. Not that I expect him not to play, but I think his repaired ACL will give him more trouble than most people expect. Even for a QB, that is a tough injury to rebound from.

I saw that Rotoworld blurb and it is complete taken out of context nonsense. It references a quote about Gates likely being on PUP to start camp, which should surprise no one. He is recovering at a normal place and will likely be ready at the start of the season.

Now how effective he will be is a totally different discussion, but barring any setbacks I would be extremely surprised if he is on PUP Week 1.

I saw that Rotoworld blurb and it is complete taken out of context nonsense. It references a quote about Gates likely being on PUP to start camp, which should surprise no one. He is recovering at a normal place and will likely be ready at the start of the season.

Now how effective he will be is a totally different discussion, but barring any setbacks I would be extremely surprised if he is on PUP Week 1.

Sorry, I had flashbacks to all the posts about Richard Seymour this time last year. I'm not saying Gates won't be ready for the start of the regular season, but I wouldn't be surprised if he starts the season on the PUP. Anyone who starts training camp on the PUP due to a major injury the previous season is still a decent candidate for the regular season PUP in my eyes. At least they should not be a surprising addition to the regular season PUP.

Sorry, I had flashbacks to all the posts about Richard Seymour this time last year. I'm not saying Gates won't be ready for the start of the regular season, but I wouldn't be surprised if he starts the season on the PUP. Anyone who starts training camp on the PUP due to a major injury the previous season is still a decent candidate for the regular season PUP in my eyes. At least they should not be a surprising addition to the regular season PUP.

I wouldn't qualify it as a major injury. He was able to play effectively in the playoffs immediately following the injury. Sure he wasn't 100%, but he still played better than most TEs.

LT is actually the guy I'd be worried about if I was a Chargers fan. Here is a guy who suffered a knee injury that kept him out of the AFCG, is a workhorse RB who has carried the ball a ton throughout his career and is inching up to 30 which is when RBs start to break down.

To me those are more red flags than Gates' toe injury.

I wouldn't qualify it as a major injury. He was able to play effectively in the playoffs immediately following the injury. Sure he wasn't 100%, but he still played better than most TEs.

LT is actually the guy I'd be worried about if I was a Chargers fan. Here is a guy who suffered a knee injury that kept him out of the AFCG, is a workhorse RB who has carried the ball a ton throughout his career and is inching up to 30 which is when RBs start to break down.

To me those are more red flags than Gates' toe injury.

He dislocated his toe. Normally that is a season ending injury, but since they were in the playoffs Gates opted for a temporary fix rather than getting IRed. He had surgery on April 14th where the recovery time at that point was 4-6 month (which puts him potentially still recovering a couple of weeks into the season). It was a significant injury.

Not only that, it has been reported several times that Gates was behind schedule for recovering. He was supposed to start at least running by the end of May, but as of their June Mini-Camp he still wasn't running.

ESPN radio had a quick interview with Gates where he said he practiced today. He was able to cut and move without problem according to him. I will take this over the other reports.

Chargers fans are already getting their excuses ready, believe you me.

Oh Kontra, why the preemptive negativity? The recovery percentage given in that article was given by Gates himself. If there is any player that will most likely be absent opening week, it's him. He did "practice," but basically just did drills by himself and with other injured players. Im a little surprised he's not further along.. We'll see what happens in the next month or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes