Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: Chan Gailey expected to be new coach of Bills

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by robertweathers, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robertweathers

robertweathers Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +525 / 16 / -5

2. oldskool138

oldskool138 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

"Chan Gailey" is how you say "Champ Bailey" if you hold your tongue when you say it.

Try it! :D

3. JSn

JSn Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

4. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

The Bills turned Charlie down twice. They just hired the guy Pioli and Haley fired last September and replaced as OC with Charlie...LOL

Dick Jauron II, only he's an offensive minded HC with no QB. This should be interesting. Somebody always gets the job nobody wants...

5. PatsChamp88

PatsChamp88 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +68 / 3 / -0

#75 Jersey

As expected, the Bills will now struggle to compete in this division. Man some people really don't like MoLewisrocks every thread every tag is almost about you lol.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  6. Sivy

Sivy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0

Who?.......

7. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,990 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Remember when Chan was "Da Guy" ... now he is desperate guy get's another chance. Seriously ... lots of college and high school coaches would love to have that job.:rolleyes:

8. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,953 / 35 / -63

No Jersey Selected

If there's one good thing in all of this, it's that the Bills will get a chance to draft quality talent with all of the high first round draft picks they're going to acquire with Gailey as the head coach. The bad thing about that is that, well, Chan Gailey is going to be drafting them.

9. BionicPatriot

BionicPatriot In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Haven't they been doing that?

10. T-Bone

T-Bone Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Looks like the Bills are locked in four place for the next three years with Nix and Gailey running the team.

AND I FRAKKING LOVE IT!

Could not happen to a nicer team.

11. efin98

efin98 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

New year, new coach, same mediocrity...

12. BionicPatriot

BionicPatriot In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Seriously. Only the Bills would begin with shanahan and end up with Gailey. Always making a run, but can't ever quite close the deal those silly Buffaloes :D

13. bostonia3333

bostonia3333 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +7 / 8 / -4

I think that this hiring was the final nail in the coffin that this team, like JAX will move. No one wants to coach there. FAs don't want to go there. Fans are so numb to failure they don't care. Time for a change and a new identity. Maybe they can swap KC and put them in the AFC east and move the Bills out to CALI and put them in the AFCwest

The Bills press conference was so bizarre for those that watched it. Gailey joked about how even the Raiders get phone calls--why did he need to mention OAK? It seemed like the Gailey's tone of the conference was to show how the Bills are not that bad, and people should not be embarrassed to coach the team, and it's a better situation than most people realize. One of the most oddest new head coaching press conferences I've ever seen. I didn't sense much optimism at all.

14. THE SLAMMER

THE SLAMMER On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

15. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,588 / 19 / -6

#87 Jersey

Maybe it's part of a strategic plan to stockpile top 10 picks for the next decade and make the Bills competitively relevant around 2030.

16. upstater1

upstater1 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +185 / 14 / -3

OK, so tell me where they are moving to. Portland? Oklahoma? Salt Lake?

Don't say LA, because I highly doubt the owners are going to give up a $1.5 billion franchise fee. Ralph can't afford to pay the difference.

According to the Canadians on the board, they are highly dubious about Toronto.

17. bostonia3333

bostonia3333 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +7 / 8 / -4

Hmm..I agree--it's pretty dire for the Bills. Candidates go there for interviews just to eat the nice food at the meeting and leave these days. The cities you mentioned are probably what most people think as possibilities. Portland would have been my best bet. San Antonio comes to mind. Not sure what's next for the Bills, the fans have absolutely nothing but 7-9 to look forward to for the next 5 years.

18. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,953 / 35 / -63

No Jersey Selected

19. upstater1

upstater1 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +185 / 14 / -3

Portland's DMA is 2.2 million
    Salt Lake City's is 1.75 million
    San Antonio's is 1.7 million
    Las Vegas is 1.5 million
    Oklahoma City's is 1.1 million

That's the entire viewing area in these places has a circumference of about 60 miles. Now, I drive between Rochester and Buffalo quite a bit, and it takes me 55 minutes to get from one town to the other (62 miles). Together, the two cities have a 2.3 million DMA, and right next to Buffalo is Ft. Erie and Canada where they draw 15% of their fans from, and in the immediate area (i.e. 10 minutes away from downtown Buffalo), you get another 500,000 people. I'm not going to bother including Hamilton, Ont. (45 minutes away) and the start of the Toronto metroplex.

The fact is, as far as the TV network package goes, and viewing eyeballs, the Buffalo-Rochester market is still bigger than most of the open cities.

Buffalo may have less Fortune 500 companies, and it surely can't compete with the oil in Oklahoma City, but that's a concern for the local owner, and not the NFL. As it stands now, the Bills are 22nd/23rd in total revenue (and that's without stadium naming rights). You have to be pretty damn certain that the city you move them to is going to support them as well as Buffalo, because the last thing you want is to move to a small city like Salt Lake or Portland, only to have the local community shrug.

I really think it's very dangerous for the NFL to agree to move Buffalo to another city.

The only reason people talk about moving them is because the purported selling price ($800 million +) is not workable for a local buyer. Jim Kelly has rounded up local people who have something like $650 million to slap down on the table, but beyond that, there's not enough revenue to finance a purchase in Buffalo.

This tells me that whoever is valuing these teams seems to think an NFL franchise is worth $800 million at base. But that's just pie-in-the-sky talk. Put it this way, Weaver down in Jacksonville would scream Halleluia and Amen if someone offered him $800 million.

20. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,007 / 42 / -15

LOL! I love how Florio toutes Gailey for making a Bowl game each of the six years he was with Georgia Tech. Is he serious? Silcon Valley Classic (that no longer exists), The Humanitarian Bowl (twice), Champ Sports Bowl, and the Emerald Bowl. Not exactly among the premiere bowls. Getting into a Bowl game is like making the playoffs in NHL or NBA.

Gailey is a great coordinator, but a so-so head coach. He is just another retread the Bills have brought in and is just holding the job for the next retread who takes the job in three years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.