PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Chad Pennington question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledTunaFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
He was SO good back in '02-how come he's regressed alot?

I was watching highlights of their game today, and he looks like he's just holding onto the ball a bit too long and it just staring down his receivers.

He was SO good back in '02-how come he's regressed alot?

I was watching highlights of their game today, and he looks like he's just holding onto the ball a bit too long and it just staring down his receivers.

Because he's gotten gunshy over the pounding he's taking... Not to mention that his O-line isn't great and Mangini / Tannenbaum and their mistreatment of Kendall clearly has had a deep and long lasting affect on this team.

It happens to some quarterbacks. Pennington has regressed, Culpepper has regressed (massively), Steve McNair has regressed, Kurt Warner had a total meltdown after his first couple of years at St. Louis, etc.

Most of these guys played well in a particular system with particular players (aka Moss for Culpepper, or Martz's system for Warner) and as soon as they are taken out of that comfort zone, they regress.

Its what seperates them (and almost all other QBs in the league) from Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

While someone like Garcia can regress then suddenly regain his form over the course of a few seasons.

Did you miss when he had his shoulder rebuild twice? You think that might have something to do with him not being that good anymore?

Did you miss when he had his shoulder rebuild twice? You think that might have something to do with him not being that good anymore?

No, actually it has nothing to do with his shoulder having surgery twice. Otherwise, he would have stunk LAST year as well. And he didn't. Much of the problems this year are because of the O-line......

99% of players, not just QBS, in this league are highly overrated at some point in their career based on a small sample of games.

Qbs can have a good season, and then regress. RBs are insanely overrated. One or two good games, and they are HOF material.

Players in this league get overrated based on one season or sometimes just a handful of good games.

That is what the media does, and they never learn.

This year I am hearing that Vince Young will be the third best QB in the league pretty soon. Yeah, right. Maybe for half a season some time.

The ONLY thing that counts in this league is maintaining excellence for most of a career. Penny was never THAT good.

No, actually it has nothing to do with his shoulder having surgery twice. Otherwise, he would have stunk LAST year as well. And he didn't. Much of the problems this year are because of the O-line......

He had the same interception problems last year. And the same crappy offense line. He has a crappy arm, and when he throws the ball outside the lnumbers it's up for grabs. He had a much better arm before he got hurt and threw much less interceptions. He also hurt his ankle in week one when one of your lineman got to him. I think it was Green.

He had the same interception problems last year. And the same crappy offense line. He has a crappy arm, and when he throws the ball outside the lnumbers it's up for grabs. He had a much better arm before he got hurt and threw much less interceptions. He also hurt his ankle in week one when one of your lineman got to him. I think it was Green.

His O-line is worse this year than last year. As for everything else you mentioned, NO, Pennington did NOT have a much better arm before his injury. One of the biggest things about Pennington has been that he was ALWAYS called noodle arm. He's never had great arm strength. And last year was the 1st year he was ever not injured.

As for his ankle, how do you think that happened? OH, yeah, that's right, Green (or whomever it was) got by the Left Guard to hit Pennington. As I said, the Jets O-line is a big issue and its worse this year than last year because of how Mangini / Tannenbaum handled the Pete Kendall issue.

His O-line is worse this year than last year. As for everything else you mentioned, NO, Pennington did NOT have a much better arm before his injury. One of the biggest things about Pennington has been that he was ALWAYS called noodle arm. He's never had great arm strength. And last year was the 1st year he was ever not injured.

As for his ankle, how do you think that happened? OH, yeah, that's right, Green (or whomever it was) got by the Left Guard to hit Pennington. As I said, the Jets O-line is a big issue and its worse this year than last year because of how Mangini / Tannenbaum handled the Pete Kendall issue.

His O line isn't any worse then last year. Did you watch today? One of the best pass rushing teams rarely touched him. Kendall isn't any big loss at this point in his career. Kendall is a solid technique player who couldn't push anyone off the line last year.

Yes pennington has never had a good arm but his arm was much better before he had two injuries to rebuild his shoulder. Anyone who thinks his arm didn't get worse after the injuries didn't watch enough of him before he got hurt. If his arm was as bas as it now he wouldn't have been drafted.

I doubt that getting rid of one undersized offensive lineman is the downfall of the Jets. The bottom line is that their lines are just not good, they weren't last year and they aren't good now. Mangini and Tannenbaum overrated their lines on both sides of the ball, Kendall was more of the problem then the solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes