Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
For all those interested in acquiring Chad Johnson:

http://beta.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

MORE THAN TWO YEARS LATER, VINDICATION
Posted by Mike Florio on March 6, 2008, 10:46 p.m.

We made one of our biggest stirs ever with this blurb from the evening of January 9, 2006:

“A league source tells us that multiple members of the Cincinnati Bengals witnessed a troubling incident as the team prepared to take the field for the second half of Sunday’s playoff game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.​

“Per the source, the last few minutes of intermission were ticking away, when the players were startled by the sight and sound of a helmet slamming against the glass pane of the training room door. Inside, receiver Chad Johnson and receivers coach Hue Jackson were engaged in an altercation. At one point, Johnson was seen holding Jackson in a headlock.​

“Coach Marvin Lewis entered the training room to intervene, and Johnson (per the source) took a swing at him.”​

The team denied any such incident, and Johnson called a press conference for the sole purpose of claiming that nothing happened. Boomer Esiason of CBS partially corroborated our report, and Johnson eventually would concede that something happened.​

More than two years later, one of the players who witnessed the incident has shared his perceptions with the world, courtesy of the magic that is YouTube.​

On Monday night, speaking at a recent meeting of the Central Maryland Browns Backers, former Bengals defensive tackle Shaun Smith acknowledged that Chad Johnson took a swing at Lewis — and made contact.​

Asked at the 5:20 mark of the clip about the incident that occurred in the team’s locker room during the only playoff game of the Lewis era, Smith said of Johnson: “He swung on Marvin. . . . [Johnson] shattered the training room glass. . . . He swung on Marving [and] hit Marvin in the eye. . . . Then he tried to swing on wide receivers coach Hue Jackson, who’s now in Baltimore.”​

Here’s the video:​

[YouTube video removed]

Smith also said that Bengals receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh will soon get a new deal from the Bengals. Houshmandzadeh is signed through 2008, at a base salary of $2.65 million.​

Re: OT:Chad johnson swung at marvin lewis

old news... though it's interesting how the truth usually comes out :)

I never doubted that he had swung at him, frankly.

This WR is a great talent, but he needs to learn his place. Enough tomfoolery, already. Just play the damn game the way you can, and shut the hell up. All that self-love and self-promotion was funny for maybe five minutes.

Chad Johnson will be a good boy when he joins Pats. BB has a way to turn all bad boys into good boys. Ask Moss if you want further info. :)

Oh come on. He's Ocho Cinco. Who cares if they were winning a playoff game! Don't you see his stupid dances? He had another he was ready to do in the playoffs! He practiced all week!

Seriously, this is old news. People just chose to ignore it.

I'm sorry, I think he's a talented player and seems like he's having fun ! But thinking it's ok too punch your head coach means he'll never be a Patriot. I know Bill likes him, but that just can't be excused, nothing Moss ever did ever came close to that !

Last edited:

1. Score TDs
2. Win games
3. Win rings
4. Start thinking about promotion

Guess what? 85 got it right - just in the wrong order. And how many TDs did he score last year? What, too busy learning new, stupid dances? Grow up and play the damn game, already. I get frustrated by people like that, who have all the talent in the world, but can't get out of their own way.

Boys will be Boys.

Sign him up...for the right price.

Teams can't double both Moss and Johnson.

Boys will be Boys.

Can't just sign him, The man he supposedly took a swing at has said repeatedly he is not trying to get rid of one of his best football players.

First, I am still trying to figure out how M.Lewis HAS A JOB! He has been handed some of the leagues finest talent and gets to only 1 playoff game?? I dont know what happened, but I challenge you guys to think of an inept coach and a passionate, intelligent guy being set up for failure. Its POSSIBLE, not very likely but possible. Time will tell. Not knowing all the facts I give a football player a pass for HITTING ANYBODY DURING A GAME. There are some teams that dont hit anyone on the field never mind off of it....

Not knowing all the facts?

His team was winning at the half of a playoff game. Johnson had barely touched the ball in the first half so he flipped out in the locker room.

And he hit his head coach - not a DB on the Steelers!

The video was deleted - was of it him actually slugging Marvin?

First, I am still trying to figure out how M.Lewis HAS A JOB! He has been handed some of the leagues finest talent and gets to only 1 playoff game?? ....
When will people realize that games are not won by the team with the most talented players? THey are won by the best team. See superbowl XXXVI.

And Chad Johnson is one reason they have a bad team.

The Giants has less talent with Barber and Shockey, but were a better team.

And any team that takes Chad Johnson will have more talent but that will not make them a better team.

My 2 cents.

Boys will be Boys.

wouldn't have to, Johnson would run the wrong route trying to score and the ball would be picked off...

Ocho needs a year like Randy had...in Oakland...something to get him to realize how bad it is to really lose...in Oakland, Randy felt the loss of love for the game, I think going to NE really gave Randy a passion for winning again and for playing hard.

Send Ocho to...Houston for 2 seasons...then...then he'd be a much better fit when he really got to see what losing was all about again.

Just my two cents...which in today's market, ain't worth much at all...

When will people realize that games are not won by the team with the most talented players? THey are won by the best team. See superbowl XXXVI.

And Chad Johnson is one reason they have a bad team.

The Giants has less talent with Barber and Shockey, but were a better team.

And any team that takes Chad Johnson will have more talent but that will not make them a better team.

My 2 cents.

I'll stake you .98 more to make it an even dollar....that is EXACTLY why I don't want "Ocho Cinco" anywhere near this team.....keep all those me first players and self promoters somewhere else. Playing with emotion not promotion wins games...we all know whish comes first with Chad

Sunday, March 09, 2008
Jackson: Chad didn't hit Lewis

Former Bengals wide receivers coach Hue Jackson, now Baltimore's quarterbacks coach, was interviewed over the weekend on Sirius NFL Radio. The topic of former Bengal lineman Shaun Smith's comment came up: Smith, now with the Browns, told a meeting of Browns fans in Maryland that Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson was involved in an altercation during halftime of the Bengals' playoff loss to the Steelers in January 2006.

"No, he's not accurate," Jackson said of Smith'c comments. "I've heard about it, obviously; someone called me yesterday to mention it to me. And if Shaun did say that I'm a little surprised because, first, Shaun doesn't work in Cincinnati anymore. Shaun works for Cleveland, and I don't know how that would come back up again when it has been dead now for a couple of years.

" To shed light on it I'll say the same thing I said before. Chad Johnson never hit Marvin Lewis. Chad Johnson never hit me. Chad Johnson never put anybody in a headlock. Chad Johnson was very emotional at halftime of that game. The true story to all that was Chad had an IV in his arm and me, and him were talking about plans for the second half and he got emotional because he said, 'Hey, coach, without Carson (Palmer) I'm not going to be able to get the ball.'

"And that's what it was and I told him, `Well, then you need to tell (offensive coordinator) Coach Bratkowski that.' And he ripped the IV out of his arm, and it's like anything else, you see blood coming out of a person's arm people think the worst. And he went from there to go into the locker room to let Coach Lewis know that, 'Hey, look, I want the ball.' And that was it. And when he opened the door he stumbled out of the training room so he was flailing and people think that he was swinging on people. Chad wasn't swinging on anybody. Chad would not hit Marvin Lewis, and Chad sure would not hit me. So that is not what happened and I'm very disappointed that now, even after two years, we have to discuss this again. But that is exactly what happened."
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2008/03/jackson-chad-didnt-hit-lewis.asp

I really don't care about this, but a number of posters jumped on Chad Johnson as if they knew that story to be factually accurate. So, it's not surprising that some of those same posters weren't so eager to report the above version of events...

I don't believe Hue Jackson's version for one microsecond.

Chad Johnson is a selfish, immature, pompous jerk; the living antithesis of what is admirable in a professional athlete. He doesn't deserve to wear the uniform of the Patriots.

I don't believe Hue Jackson's version for one microsecond.

Chad Johnson is a selfish, immature, pompous jerk; the living antithesis of what is admirable in a professional athlete. He doesn't deserve to wear the uniform of the Patriots.

Considering he's supposed to be "selfish, "immature", and a "pompous jerk", then it's surprising he hasn't fallen in with the crowd at Cincy. You know, the drug users, wife beaters, and just plain lowlifes that reside on that team. You ever think that might be why a hard working player (he watches a ton of film each week ect.) would like to get out of there?

Considering he's supposed to be "selfish, "immature", and a "pompous jerk", then it's surprising he hasn't fallen in with the crowd at Cincy. You know, the drug users, wife beaters, and just plain lowlifes that reside on that team. You ever think that might be why a hard working player (he watches a ton of film each week ect.) would like to get out of there?

Drug users,
Wife beaters,
Lowlifes,
Selfish, immature, pompous jerks...
All part of the crowd at the bungles.

If CJ wants to leave, it's more than likely because he wants to grab a bigger share of the spotlight in a larger market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes