PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Cassell's Success this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
Congrats to Pioli and Cassell for winning the afc West. But does cassells success have more to do with the schedule. Its a very similar schedule if not easier then 2008 with the pats. Cassell surprised everyone in 2008 but faced the Nfc west and afc west. This year he faced the afc west twice, nfc west, as well as last years last place teams in afc. Last year cassell was mediocre. Anyone think the season cassell is having is legit or more surcumstance.

Football Outsiders said something
Similar.

I like Matt but I think he needs to have consecutive good seasons to really establish himself.

I know people don't like it when you blame schedule, but years where you get both the AFC west and NFC west have to be made an exception, those are just very sad divisions right now. That was his case for this year and 2008.

Matt Cassel is a good NFL QB.

He had a good year in 2008

He played for a crap KC team in 2009. With the exception of Brees, Rivers, TB or Manning, not sure any QB would have done much better

He has been VERY good this year.

I would agree that he needs to put up a couple of monster years to get in the conversation of top QBs, but at this point in his career he should be considered a very solid to pretty good NFL QB.

Despite the moronic posts here over the years, Cassel has already proven himself to be a capable NFL starting QB. He's decidedly better than the average NFL starter. How much better requires more seasons to analyze.

edit Cassel spelling :confused:

Last edited:
People still don't realize it's spelled "Cassel" after all this time?

It would be interesting if a time machine was invented, how many NFL teams would pay to use it and trade a second round pick for MC.

He's notas good as his stats indicate because of the schedule, but he's nowhere near as bad as some fans think. He's a solid QB in a league lacking QBs, a top-10 guy.

Is he a HOFer? No.

Could he make a few Pro Bowls? Absolutely, and deservedly so, not by being 58th injury replacement or whatever it was that allowed David Garrard to be selected.

What cracks me up is all the knuckledraggers over on the Chief's boards who mocked Cassel and Pioli for acquiring him now calling for Haley to be COTY...LOL Haley is one lucky SOB who as long as he stays out of the way is along for the ride courtesy of the system (Scott, Matt, Charlie and RAC).

It would be interesting if a time machine was invented, how many NFL teams would pay to use it and trade a second round pick for MC.

I'll take a stab at it (excluding KC)...

Baltimore Ravens- NO
Buffalo Bills- NO
Cincinnati Bengals- NO (but I think Palmer needs out)
Cleveland Browns- NO (I like McCoy. I think he'll be good)
Denver Broncos- NO (They burned a 1st rounder on Tebow)
Houston Texans- NO
Indianapolis Colts- NO
Jacksonville Jaguars- Hmmm. (Garrard is decent, but not great)
Kansas City Chiefs- N/A
Miami Dolphins- Hmmm (I'm not as down on Henne as others are. Hes 25)
New England Patriots- NO
New York Jets- NO (Sanchez has his faults, but hes still young.)
Oakland Raiders- YES
Pittsburgh Steelers- NO
San Diego Chargers- NO
Tennessee Titans- YES (They have problems)
Arizona Cardinals- YES (Worse then TN)
Atlanta Falcons- NO
Carolina Panthers- Hmmm (Clausen was a 2nd rounder and I think want to see what they got)
Chicago Bears- NO
Dallas Cowboys- NO (Romo will play)
Detroit Lions- NO (Stafford is decent, but he can't stay healthy)
Green Bay Packers- NO
Minnesota Vikings- YES (Disaster)
New Orleans Saints- NO
New York Giants- NO
Philadelphia Eagles- NO
San Francisco 49ers- YES (Disaster)
Seattle Seahawks- YES (Hasselbeck is done)
St. Louis Rams- NO
Tampa Bay Buccaneers- NO
Washington Redskins- YES (Another mess)

Last edited:
With Weis on board he's also in a much more comfortable system than he was last year. One in which he has the potential to excel (to the limit of his abilities). I don't think he'll be a HoF QB, but he can definitely earn the paycheck he got from the Chiefs.

One interesting note is that he might be the better NFL QB to come out of USC? recently. I'm not sure, but Palmer seems to have hit a ceiling after a good start to his career.

He may get better as they build an OL behind him.

KC has to think that they have excellent RBs and a decent passing game. With a stellar OLine, they may become a juggernaut.

my preference for the pats starting qb

1. tom brady
2. peyton manning
3. matt cassell
4. matt ryan
5. drew brees

disclaimer : michael vick USED TO BE my second choice, but i'd never want him on my team knowing what i know now.

I'm a Cassel fan but Ryan and Brees are better QBs

I'm a Cassel fan but Ryan and Brees are better QBs

I honestly think Cassell is a better QB than Ryan. I like Matty ICE though but I just think Cassell is slightly better. I also heard on NFLN that Flacco consider's himself as an "elite" QB thus far. I highly disagree with that stupid statement as well.

Last edited:
I honestly think Cassell is a better QB than Ryan. I like Matty ICE though but I just think Cassell is slightly better.

I'd respectfully disagree, but one this is clear. Both QBs are smart and manage the game very well.

I also heard on NFLN that Flacco consider's himself as an "elite" QB thus far. I highly disagree with that stupid statement as well.

I also think Flacco is a good QB, but we need to qualify elite. I only see 4 in that catagory now. Brees, Peyton, TB and Rivers.

Baltimore Ravens- NO
Buffalo Bills- NO
Houston Texans- NO
Indianapolis Colts- NO
Kansas City Chiefs- N/A
New England Patriots- NO
Oakland Raiders- YES
Pittsburgh Steelers- NO
San Diego Chargers- NO
Atlanta Falcons- NO
Carolina Panthers- Hmmm (Clausen was a 2nd rounder and I think want to see what they got)
Chicago Bears- NO
Green Bay Packers- NO
New Orleans Saints- NO
New York Giants- NO
Philadelphia Eagles- NO
St. Louis Rams- NO
Tampa Bay Buccaneers- NO

Good review. I would point out that had Cleveland traded the 2009 2nd, drafting McCoy is N/A. If the Rams traded for Cassel, do they draft Suh or have a chance?

The biggest loser here is Josh McDaniels.

Good review. I would point out that had Cleveland traded the 2009 2nd, drafting McCoy is N/A. If the Rams traded for Cassel, do they draft Suh or have a chance?

The biggest loser here is Josh McDaniels.

Yep. Good catch on McCoy.

Baltimore Ravens- NO
Buffalo Bills- NO
Houston Texans- NO
Indianapolis Colts- NO
Kansas City Chiefs- N/A
New England Patriots- NO
Oakland Raiders- YES
Pittsburgh Steelers- NO
San Diego Chargers- NO
Atlanta Falcons- NO
Chicago Bears- NO
Green Bay Packers- NO
New Orleans Saints- NO
New York Giants- NO
Philadelphia Eagles- NO
St. Louis Rams- NO
Tampa Bay Buccaneers- NO

Many of your comments are based on the teams current situation. You should have looked back to the end of the '08 season, when Cassel was traded for a second round. Just a few situations that could be have a different perspective. Sanchez was still dirty and in college and the Jets had noodle arm and old man Brett that was still talking retirement, Stafford was still in college, Broncos didn't have Tebow or Orton, but still had Cutler and were looking to make a change. Bears had Orton and knew they needed help. McCoy was still in college, and the Brown's had Anderson and Brady Quinn? And they knew they weren't the answer.

Many of your comments are based on the teams current situation. You should have looked back to the end of the '08 season, when Cassel was traded for a second round. Just a few situations that could be have a different perspective. Sanchez was still dirty and in college and the Jets had noodle arm and old man Brett that was still talking retirement, Stafford was still in college, Broncos didn't have Tebow or Orton, but still had Cutler and were looking to make a change. Bears had Orton and knew they needed help. McCoy was still in college, and the Brown's had Anderson and Brady Quinn? And they knew they weren't the answer.

Yea I hear ya. I just did it starting now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back