PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT:Caldwell cites many factors in Colts calling late timeout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I was shocked no one made a big deal about that when it happened. It was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen, and the TV guys just shrugged it off like no big deal.

I would have loved to listen to Manning if he was mic'd up for that.

He'd still have been busy throwing the receiver under the bus.

I agree the time-out was stupid, but the stupidest play was when they decided to go for a passing attempt on 3rd and 7 with 1:02 left (check me on all these numbers) while in field goal territory.

They should have ran the ball and forced the Jets to take their second time-out. I don't know if this is a call from Manning, Caldwell, or Moore. It was mind boggling and isn't getting the attention it deserves.

Both teams did their best to screw up the game at the end.

The Colts defender ran into the kicker and extended the Jets second to last drive.

Then, on 3rd and 5, the idiot Jets threw a long bomb downfield.

The Colts got the ball back and drove to the red zone, then called a run on 3rd and long before their go ahead FG. Stupid, you pass there, I don't care if it worked for you the previous series.

Then Caldwell's timeout.

4 colossal mistakes inside of 3 minutes.

Probably the worst in-game decision of the season, considering it was a playoff game.

A few thoughts. The Colt's first quarter challenge on the punt was a joke. I have no idea what the coaches in the booth were telling him but just b/c the returner makes a bone head decision doesn't mean you get to challenge it. I would have loved to see the game come down to a play and have the Colts out of challenges.

Also, did anyone see Spagnuolo in week 17. He has no concept of clock management and wasted at least 45 seconds with a full arsenal of timeouts to the joy of the 'Hawks who pleasantly relaxed going into the 2 minute warning. Indefensible but never was discussed since it quickly became a moot point.

Today's 2 pt conversion with Philly was a gem. Like no one, except 1 lone random official, had the wherewithal to think that the Eagles got another try since - gasp - the penalty was not a loss of down variety. How does Fox blindly roll into a commercial without a comment on this? It reflects poorly on Reid who apparently didn't object until it was brought to his attention, but after all, he coached McNabb for 10+ yrs without ever mentioning that a playoff game couldn't end in a tie.

Overall, coaches have a lot on their plate. But certain things are simply shocking. Reid, Caldwell and Spagnuolo for example.

Other things out there are head scratchers but admittedly come down to players just probably not thinking - although the coaches should be in their ear before each play. Why does Arkansas bounce on a blocked kick when it is completely irrelevant who gains possession on a 4th down? Why does a lineman catch a deflected pass in his endzone for a safety? In college, maybe some of the kids get a pass but in the pros its just shocking.

BB has always prepared Patriots for situational football. And other than passing up that field goal attempt in the 08 SB, I've never questioned anything he ever did during a game.

The timeout played no part in the Jets winning, and the QB still made a lousy pass. He was simply bailed out by his receiver.

Except for this:
Colts coaching decision proves fatal ... and mystifying - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

The Jets wanted to run the ball before using their last timeout and then let Folk kick a 50 yarder because Folk told Ryan he was feeling good about kicking that distance.

Low and behold, Caldwell calls the timeout and the Jets get time to think again and call a pass.

Utter stupidity by Caldwell.

Except for this:
Colts coaching decision proves fatal ... and mystifying - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

The Jets wanted to run the ball before using their last timeout and then let Folk kick a 50 yarder because Folk told Ryan he was feeling good about kicking that distance.

Low and behold, Caldwell calls the timeout and the Jets get time to think again and call a pass.

Utter stupidity by Caldwell.

The Jets would have been kicking a field goal either way, and it was first down. There's no way of knowing whether the distance would have mattered. For that matter, with it having been first down, there's no way of knowing how many yards the Jets would have gained on the ground setting up the field goal.

Caldwell hadn't blinked for an hour and dust gathered on his eyeballs, he couldn't see the clock. To much crowd noise being pumped in maybe another factor.

The Jets would have been kicking a field goal either way, and it was first down. There's no way of knowing whether the distance would have mattered. For that matter, with it having been first down, there's no way of knowing how many yards the Jets would have gained on the ground setting up the field goal.

I am not arguing that. Just that the Colts made it easier on the Jets by calling that timeout.

Caldwell explained that the Colts hoped the Jets would run the ball, burning more clock, or Indianapolis could force a turnover or make a defensive play that would take New York out of field-goal range.

Does Jim know that if he doesn't call a timeout there, that the clock would have kept running?

Caldwell should have forced the Jets to either use their last timeout there or make them run the no huddle. A big play is less likely and a mistake is more likely from the no huddle. If the Jets lose their last timeout, a lot of things could go wrong. For instance, a similar situation to the Pats/GB game could happen. Let's say the jets fail to get out of bounds on third down. Then they have to run the field goal unit on the field and get the field goal off in a rush.

The timeout by Caldwell is indefensible IMO.

Was watching the game with my 10yo son (who doesn't get a chance to see many football games). Towards the end and out of the blue, he comes out with "that guy always looks like he's going to cry" when he sees the Peyton Manning face. Me and the guy next to me in the bar were laughing our azzes off.

The timeout played no part in the Jets winning, and the QB still made a lousy pass. He was simply bailed out by his receiver.

You cant really believe that can you?

It may have been the case that in the end the Jets kicker makes the longer kick but then again you do know Folks history right?

You cant sit there and say that calling the timeout did not in some way contribute to kick being easier.

OK Dues here is the play by play

1-10-IND 34 :)36) 21-L.Tomlinson up the middle to IND 32 for 2 yards (68-E.Foster). ball on 32 so you are looking at about a 50 yarder and the Jets ran. clock ticking and only one timeout your choice now with the clock running is to hurry and run or pass again with the clocking ticking you might get a play off with 15-20 seconds left or you could use your last timeout which you obviously save to stop the clock for a FG. So in the end the Jets likely had a enough time to run that play even had Indy not called the TO. But one has to wonder if they would with the clock ticking and if scrambling to the line might mess the play up. So sure the rusults didnt have to change based on the Colts TO but to say it didnt help is ludicrous and one of the crazier things you have tried to defend. And IMO there is no way with the clock ticking they call pass their IMO they would have ran one more safe dive hoping to gain a few more and making sure not to lose yards and then let the clock tick and burn the TO for the last FG again sure a second run here may have gained enough for Folk to make it and maybe Folk hits a close to 50 yarder and even further more maybe they do pass anyway and maybe they still pick it up but why help them do it?

Timeout #3 by IND at 00:29.
2-8-IND 32 :)29) (Shotgun) 6-M.Sanchez pass deep right to 17-B.Edwards to IND 14 for 18 yards (27-J.Lacey).

Timeout #3 by NYJ at 00:03.
1-10-IND 14 :)03) 2-N.Folk 32 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-46-T.Purdum, Holder-9-S.Weatherford.

Last edited:
Was watching the game with my 10yo son (who doesn't get a chance to see many football games). Towards the end and out of the blue, he comes out with "that guy always looks like he's going to cry" when he sees the Peyton Manning face. Me and the guy next to me in the bar were laughing our azzes off.

So, how many brews can your 10 yr old pound down?

A good example of this was in last year's Super Bowl.

Late in the first half, the Colts went three and out with 3 straight running plays. NO took advantage of the opportunity and kicked a field goal to end the half.

When asked about that sequence after the game, Manning said something to the effect of having to run the plays that were called.

This thread is making me think that we've been misinterpreting, Suggs comment re Brady/Manning:
>>>“Nobody studies like him,” Ryan said of Manning. “I know Brady thinks he does and all that stuff. I think there’s probably a little more help from Belichick with Brady than there is with Peyton Manning.”<<<<

Could he have been dissing Caldwell, meaning that Brady has a better coaching staff to work with than Manning????

Andy Reid makes 3 clock management mistakes for every 1 of Caldwells.

Doesnt matter for this debate as Reid has built his own success in Philly and Caldwell is just on for the ride that was built by Dungy. Sure Reid may not be a great clock manager but he has proven to be a much better coach than Caldwell.

Caldwell made a dumb mistake and whats worse is he is trying to justify it!

One more thought just came to mind.

Lets just assume Caldwell could come up with a valid reason for calling the time out. Why call it so quickly? Why not let as much time as possible tick off first? Call it just as Sanchez gets to the line.

The funniest part of all of this, to me, is that Peyton is much too good of a QB to ever lose enough games to get his terrible head coach fired.

So it seems that he is probably stuck with Caldwell until he retires.

LOL

You cant really believe that can you?

It may have been the case that in the end the Jets kicker makes the longer kick but then again you do know Folks history right?

You cant sit there and say that calling the timeout did not in some way contribute to kick being easier.

I can sit here and say that there was no definite and tangible gain for the Jets as a result of that timeout. Any benefits are speculative.

The call is extremely difficult to rationalize. I think the true explanation is that he panicked. I think he thought reflexively that they ought to call a time out to preserve time without really thinking about the fact that the Jets could easily run it down to the :03 no matter what the Colts did since the Colts were out of time outs.

It's very difficult to come up with a single justification where calling the time out gives you an advantage that is greater than the advantage of not calling it, letting the clock run, and limiting the number of additional attemps the Jets have to move closer to the uprights. That said, if you wanted to give Caldwell the benefit of the doubt, I guess it would go something like this: Given the way that he was kicking in warmups, I viewed a 50 yarder as a very high percentage. While I knew the risk of calling a time out was that it would give more chances to try a play down the field to get closer that they were signaling they were not inclined to try, to me that risk was work it in order to have a chance at a turnover, which at that point was the only realistic chance I thought we had to win the game.

Or maybe Caldwell assumed that the Jets run was really a concession that they were ready to kick, and so he assumed that by calling the time out, the Jets would just run another play into the line of scrimmage, which would give the Colts another chance at a bad snap or turnover of some sort.

The reality is that keeping the clock running was percentage move, and I think Caldwell and the rest of the world understands that this morning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back