PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Cable out as Raiders Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking forward to when Al Davis moves the Raiders to Somali and makes the team play as the pirates with their home ground an abandoned oil tanker off the African coast.

That would be an upgrade over the Oakland/Alameida Stadium

They should go hire Rob Ryan, one Ryan isn't enough. Would be really entertaining to watch the jets-raiders game next year. At least somebody in the AFC needs to hire that guy.

Didn't Rob coach for them for a while?

I think he was a LB coach or something for them for a while.

Rob Ryan was the DC there before going to Cleveland. I was kind of surprised by the Cable move. He had that team at 8-8 this season. The first time they have won more than five games since 2002. Also 6-0 in the division. But, this is the team who drafted Jamarcus Russell #1 overall, so I shouldn't be too surprised.

If they're firing Cable in order to promote Jackson, then why is Oakland granting the 49ers permission to speak with Jackson?

:confused:

Fire Sparano and send Rob Ryan to the Dolphins. I wouldn't be able to contain myself if we found out he has a Star Trek costume fetish and only talked in Klingon at home.

Last edited:
If McDaniels goes to work for Al Davis, I want to see that as a reality show.

It would be Lane Kiffin all over again. Young guy he can push around. Actually, he can push around anyone as Tom "I swept the division but still got fired" Cable found out today.

It may be time for the NFL to step in and "remove" Mr. Davis as owner by whatever means they have at their disposal. He is clearly not in his right mind and it reflects poorly on the league to have an owner who is so obviously insane, maybe clinically insane. Is he even coherent anymore?

Last edited:
If they're firing Cable in order to promote Jackson, then why is Oakland granting the 49ers permission to speak with Jackson?

:confused:

If it's an OC interviewing for a HC job (either to satisfy the Rooney Rule or genuinely), I don't think they can refuse permission.

I posted it in the thread about the Bengals keeping Lewis for another 2 years, but the league really needs to demand some minimum level of competence out of owners.

seriously, it seems as if so many owners just doom their teams, tgfk

(thank god for kraft) :)

Great job, Al. Never fail to disappoint. :bricks:

Can't say I like the Raider, but what???

A coach who finally gets things rights, and then axe him. Great work Al :D

I really don't get these coaching moves (or nonmoves) this offseason. :confused:

I'm not a fan of Cable at all. He's kind of a sleazebag and, really, not that great a coach. But he was probably the best fit for the Raiders at this point. I mean, who else are they going to get? No self-respecting coach wants to go there. There's nobody I can think of who will improve upon what he's done there, so what is the point of firing him?

Al Davis lost it a LONG time ago. :eek:

It's not even fun to hate the Raiders anymore. They're pitiful, not hateable.

It may be time for the NFL to step in and "remove" Mr. Davis as owner by whatever means they have at their disposal. He is clearly not in his right mind and it reflects poorly on the league to have an owner who is so obviously insane, maybe clinically insane.

No!!!!!!!!

Belichick has many more trades to fleece....ummm....make with Mr. Davis.

The only way I can see McDaniels going there is if nobody is giving him any bites as a coordinator somewhere else.

I'm sure he'll get OC bites. And if not college coaching would be preferable to an Al Davis team. Were he to go to OAK and again fail at HC as likely due to ownership then his career prospects at 0-2 are seriously damaged. Not wise for a young coach.

It's stuff like this (and the Bengals keeping Marvin Lewis) that makes me realize whatever gripes I have had with the Patriots are straight trifling.

Can someone please explain to me what's happening in the NFL?

Cable's out despite having the best season Oakland has had in a long while but Marvin Lewis, Jack Del Rio and Gary Kubiak are retained. :confused:

Can someone please explain to me what's happening in the NFL?

Cable's out despite having the best season Oakland has had in a long while but Marvin Lewis, Jack Del Rio and Gary Kubiak are retained. :confused:

Looks like some owners are realizing that patience can be a good thing and can potentially lead to continuity and success. Use Marvin Lewis as an example some would say he should have been long gone even before last years season which was pretty good. That team with a good offseason could bounce right back to where they were last year but with a new head coach they would be starting over.

In Al's case he clearly doesnt think he has enough years left to be patient so bat sh** crazy is his approach.

Looks like some owners are realizing that patience can be a good thing and can potentially lead to continuity and success. Use Marvin Lewis as an example some would say he should have been long gone even before last years season which was pretty good. That team with a good offseason could bounce right back to where they were last year but with a new head coach they would be starting over.

In Al's case he clearly doesnt think he has enough years left to be patient so bat sh** crazy is his approach.

But if they felt patience was a good thing Cable would still have a job, so would McDaniels for that matter. Lord knows Kubiak, Del Rio and Lewis have had plenty of time to build a system that works with those guys, isn't really time to move on? I just don't get how these owners are thinking.

Al continues his string of missteps. I feel for Cable but this guy will land on his feet. He went through a lot of crap in Oakland - maybe this will turn out to be the best thing that ever happened to his career. It can't hurt that in his next job he won't report to Mr. Davis.

But if they felt patience was a good thing Cable would still have a job, so would McDaniels for that matter. Lord knows Kubiak, Del Rio and Lewis have had plenty of time to build a system that works with those guys, isn't really time to move on? I just don't get how these owners are thinking.

You seem to be jumbling the owners all together as one group and they are each on their own. The Texans, Jags, and Bengals have nothing to do with what crazy Al does.

In the Texans, Jags, and Beganls case how are you better in the imediate future by getting rid of these guys? Sure you can bring in a big name coach but what if they dont want to go to you? You might be left with taking on lesser known quantity who may need time to learn on the job and time to mold the team in his image or you can hope continuity and the old guards plan finnally start to work. In each instance there has been some success that could be built on but a new coach would not have that to build on.

IMO Cable should get at least one more season. Mangini and McDaniels too. I think the NFLs owners on the most part have a 3 year leash and lately that has been long but really these guys deserve the benifit of at least 5 IMO. If something extenuiting comes up in the 5 years then sure you can fire him but to fire a guy after 3 or less seasons for nothing but on field performance and starting over again screams for a series of 3 year failures.

Maybe it is my own opinion shining thru on the subject but I think teams are way way way to quick to pull the trigger on firing guys. Mangini had a good quote on it saying something to the effect of you cant microwave a great dinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes