PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT...But isn't ths what real sports is about???

Status
Not open for further replies.
he scored 20 in four minutes? he belongs in the nba

PatsWickedPissah said:
Its not on top of the national news. I only read it here. You're simply irked and obsessed with it.

Oh, and what does that make you? Someone who hasn't been around a television the last two days? That's fine. But what is your point? No one here is dissing autism or people afflicted with it (even "mildly" so). We're simply decrying the misplaced hype.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Its not on top of the national news. I only read it here. You're simply irked and obsessed with it.

Watch one of the AOL videos. It's the Early Show on CBS.

Last edited:
I thought it was a great story, Pats726. Thanks for posting it.

As the dad of a 3yo with Down syndrome (the little guy in my avatar), I have a much different view of these type stories than I did before he was born.

It is a good story and the kids first shot was an airball, but he hung in there, saw him interviewed with his coach on cold pizza. It amazes me sometimes how people will find fault or criticize just about anything - those kind of folks must be real fun to be around - don't you think?

Great, great story. I watched it both times it aired on CBS. I've never, ever, seen a bench - and spectators - get so excited over what was happening.

It was a wonderful and heart warming break from the cold bleakness of news these days. This world could use a few more of these type of stories.

I do have an Autistic son--And yes, it's a good story

I have a son who's now only mildly Autisic. He'll never be able to play sports, but he's as smart as a whip. I realize that the media has probably overplayed this, but the truth is that it means so much to me and parents like me. Having a child on the 'spectrum' often means giving up hope--hope that you child will have a typical life, hope that they'll have friends, hope that they'll be happy in general. After the kid makes all of these shots, he's now BMOC. I know he's going to college next year, but don't you realize that he's now "the kid that made all of the 3-pointers" and not "that Autistic kid."

I know I'm only one parent so I won't pretend to speak for everyone. But remember, the majority (90%??) of Autistic kids don't have happy endings--they live at home and have no friends or social life. So yes, this is a big deal.

Thanks for the input, Chitown. As parents of kids with disabilities, stories like these effect us differently than those who haven't BTDT. I have a friend whose 6 yo son is on the severe end of the autistic spectrum. As tough as it has been for us and for our little guy with Ds, I can't even begin to relate with what he (or you for that matter) has gone through. What people who haven't personally dealt with these disabilities (and others) don't understand is that sometimes even just a flicker of hope for the future is all we need to give us a boost.

Days afterword and this story is still bringing joy to people...It was such a strong story that CBS News broadcast the story twice...back to back days. I can't imagine what it is like for parents with disabled children and how difficult it is for them. Working with them teaching?? Really...hats off to all that have the patience and warm hearts to be able to. My only experience was many many years ago voluntering at the now closing Fernald School. NOt easy at all. A story like that brings hope and joy; more of that is needed.

I hope the last three posts have educated Pats1 a little about life and why this story (while not exactly on the newsworthiness level of the Iraqi Civil war) has touched so many people so deeply.

It's not so much the accomplishment, but the example of a triumph of spirit that is so needed in such situations.

What is truly sad is that you wrote:
"To further vent, "Inside the NFL" isn't high up on my list either. America's fetish with Hollywood is disgusting. No friggin' self-esteem. I want to punch the TV every time I hear about this marriage, this break-up, or this whatever. I like disparage "fans" of certain sports just because the glamour of the athletes or the team. Such "fans" can't name the Pats' starting free safety (just as an example - sorry Geno!) but they somehow know every one of Tom Brady's girlfriend's favorite colors. (Nothing against Absolute Brady, trust me).

I also have the near-unstoppable desire to buy and burn every and all entertainment magazine in Stop & Shop."

___

So much hate and anger. I feel sorry for you and hope the rest of your life can bring you more peace.

Last edited:
shmessy said:
I hope the last three posts have educated Pats1 a little about life and why this story (while not exactly on the newsworthiness level of the Iraqi Civil war) has touched so many people so deeply.

It's not so much the accomplishment, but the example of a triumph of spirit that is so needed in such situations.

What is truly sad is that you wrote:
"To further vent, "Inside the NFL" isn't high up on my list either. America's fetish with Hollywood is disgusting. No friggin' self-esteem. I want to punch the TV every time I hear about this marriage, this break-up, or this whatever. I like disparage "fans" of certain sports just because the glamour of the athletes or the team. Such "fans" can't name the Pats' starting free safety (just as an example - sorry Geno!) but they somehow know every one of Tom Brady's girlfriend's favorite colors. (Nothing against Absolute Brady, trust me).

I also have the near-unstoppable desire to buy and burn every and all entertainment magazine in Stop & Shop."

___

So much hate and anger. I feel sorry for you and hope the rest of your life can bring you more peace.

I agree wholeheartedly. I have known people on the autistic spectrum as "clients". I can't even begin to imagine what a frustrating world it is for them, their parents and friends. We who provide services label people, tell them what their capabilities are and which services they can or cannot have. Why is it such a bad thing when a kid has something go his way for once?

How do you know this "went his way for once?" What about the 2-3% of children EVERY YEAR who ATTEMPT SUICIDE due to the collective buildup of family divorce, moves, and other problems at school and home where things truly "never go their way." For all we know, this kid could be 99% normally functioning at school or home, and I seriously doubt he's at or near rock bottom of his social class. Just like others work at achieving their personal goals, which could mean everything to their lives. Probably, and in a heart-warming way, this specific story could involve him shooting for hours and hours, waiting for his opportunity. Why not have a daily documentary of the disabled or able alike doing just that? I guess that's what I'm having trouble understanding.

realize that he's now "the kid that made all of the 3-pointers" and not "that Autistic kid."

But in all actuality, it's the autism that is giving him all the attention. Yet again, people seem to be overblowing the condition.

What is truly sad is that you wrote...

I'm sorry I can't have a conflicting opinion.

You're misunderstanding my point if you believe I hold anger against the kid. I just don't feel it deserves repetitive national attention - now even Hollywood attention. Every disabled person has their achievements in different situations. You rarely see them on the news. Are they heart-warming? For the most part. It's also possible, to get national attention, details were overblown.

Jeez, now I'm just sputtering off into oblivion. I'll just continue to slip and slide away from this thread....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey