PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT...But isn't ths what real sports is about???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats726

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/sports/article.adp?id=20060223160809990007
I know this is basketball..and high school BUT..what a story!!! The Greece Athena High school's basketball team's manager, a senior with autism is given a chance to play in the last game. The team was way ahead..and he scored 20 in the last 4 minutes..Is that what real heart is???? Just an incredible story!!

ya, i saw that on the news the other day...what a great story. This kid is a stud now in school

I guarantee someone's already bought the movie rights to this story.

Pats726 said:
http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/sports/article.adp?id=20060223160809990007
I know this is basketball..and high school BUT..what a story!!! The Greece Athena High school's basketball team's manager, a senior with autism is given a chance to play in the last game. The team was way ahead..and he scored 20 in the last 4 minutes..Is that what real heart is???? Just an incredible story!!

That is amazing. There is an Autism center near one of my business locations and I see young people afflicted with caretakers walking by all the time. Some of them are severely disabled. Obviously, there are all levels of this affliction. More power to that youngster.

That was great!!! Thanks for posting it!

It's an excellent story. I used to work as a social worker for adults with learning disabilities. It was frustrating work because of the ridiculous bureaucracy, lack of good, affordable care and places where people could go on to develop like this kid. It's made my day, I have to say.

great read and great story nice find.

Story is going to be re-aired on CBS Evening News. AT 630P EST.
Mike Francesa has been talking about it all day on Mike and Dog
show. I can't wait to see it. Sounds very inspirational.

Oh, yes, typical media over-glorification.

I'm not saying he's unworthy, just that there's probably another 100 alike cases every day which go unnoticed.

pats1 said:

I'm not saying he's unworthy, just that there's probably another 100 alike cases every day which go unnoticed.

Please post them then

GREAT story

FWIW Flutie's son is autistic

pats1 said:

Pats1, you made me feel less of a party pooper over this story. It's NOT that big a deal and incredibly overblown. Yes, it's heartwarming that he was given a chance to taste some action, but it's hardly worthy of the hype it's getting. Consider:

* The kid was described as "mildly" autistic and highly functional, with minor social issues. He's a mainstream student and is going to college next year, if that tells you anything.

* The outcome of the game was decided before he was put in.

* Obviously, the kid has spent a lot of time shooting baskets. And from the film clip I saw, he wasn't even guarded.

Like I said, a nice little story not worth the attention it's generated.

Last edited:
re:

Wow, that story gave me chills.

It was like the movie Rudy, except better. The boy was autistic, and he scored 20 points and hit six 3-pointers in four minutes!!.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Please post them then

That's the whole point. They're not out there.

The media is turning autism into some super-condition, where this kid doesn't have any legs, is blind, and by some miraculous way could play basketball.

Last edited:
pats1 said:
That's the whole point. They're not out there.

The media is turning autisism into some super-condition, where this kid doesn't have any legs, is blind, and by some miraculous way could play basketball.

Exactly! He's only mildly autistic. If he was full-blown autistic he wouldn't be able to function like he does. You are a true voice of reason, Pats1.

Tunescribe said:
Exactly! He's only mildly autistic. If he was full-blown autistic he wouldn't be able to function like he does. You are a true voice of reason, Pats1.

Right on.

I felt the same way with the Dungy situation. Did I feel sympathy? Yes. But I wasn't grieving uncontrollably or really care to any considerable extent. Just because of his ties, his suicide was so well documented. But what about the other thousand-something a year, mainly among males?

If this story gets national attention, why didn't 10-year old Kriss Hall's death on a Worcester intersection from an out-of-control car in an accident get some? His father was begging on the streets just for he could get a decent funeral. (Local banks did help out big time, however).

To further vent, "Inside the NFL" isn't high up on my list either. America's fetish with Hollywood is disgusting. No friggin' self-esteem. I want to punch the TV every time I hear about this marriage, this break-up, or this whatever. I like disparage "fans" of certain sports just because the glamour of the athletes or the team. Such "fans" can't name the Pats' starting free safety (just as an example - sorry Geno!) but they somehow know every one of Tom Brady's girlfriend's favorite colors. (Nothing against Absolute Brady, trust me).

I also have the near-unstoppable desire to buy and burn every and all entertainment magazine in Stop & Shop.

Last edited:
Tunescribe said:

Let's here from you bozos if you have an autistic kid. Losers.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Let's here from you bozos if you have an autistic kid. Losers.

And such an achievement would be commendable. Doesn't mean it has to be on the top of the national news.

Its not on top of the national news. I only read it here. You're simply irked and obsessed with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back