PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Bundchen to give World Cup Trophy to the Winners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey - -a reason to watch.

I'll tell you, these prima donna models with their outrageous conditions. Geesh. ...

maybe she'll start a riot herself...like, imagine that Brazil loses a close match in the final and she takes the podium to give the trophy to the winner yelling to the Brazilian players: "Oscar can't pass the ball and block the shots by himself!"

Keep Brady away from Brazil... he embarrasses himself there!

tom-brady-dancing-o.gif

Keep Brady away from Basil....It's dangerous!

Is he allergic?

Just to paparazzi types who mess with their security staff.

Keep Brady away from Brazil... he embarrasses himself there!

We just don't want him to lose his head... or legs..., or arms..

Aside from the jokes on the misspelling, did you read about the riots when they "won" the right to build stadiums far from pop centers and/or build walls to keep the poor people away? (BTW, I don't mean crazy homeless people, I mean guys living in plywood shacks that have jobs at local factories and stuff. You know, 3rd world poverty.)

If Brazil does not win the cup, and they realize they paid to host a party for Spain or something it could get bad. Mrs. Brady gets the protection that being a chick, and hence no immediate threat during a riot as opposed to the body guards. Tom, being tall, and physically fit as any player, would get no such exemption.

That, and if all goes well I really do not want to see a video of him dancing at a game or something. :)

Are they sure they don't want Bridget Moynahan instead? She's so much hotter than Gisele.:rolleyes:

Are they sure they don't want Bridget Moynahan instead? She's so much hotter than Gisele.:rolleyes:

that's probably why he threw in the towel when he fo
Aside from the jokes on the misspelling, did you read about the riots when they "won" the right to build stadiums far from pop centers and/or build walls to keep the poor people away? (BTW, I don't mean crazy homeless people, I mean guys living in plywood shacks that have jobs at local factories and stuff. You know, 3rd world poverty.)

If Brazil does not win the cup, and they realize they paid to host a party for Spain or something it could get bad. Mrs. Brady gets the protection that being a chick, and hence no immediate threat during a riot as opposed to the body guards. Tom, being tall, and physically fit as any player, would get no such exemption.

That, and if all goes well I really do not want to see a video of him dancing at a game or something. :)

I've been to Brasil 40 times or so. It's a big country with a lot of poverty, a middle class that is struggling to get its feet on the ground economically, far too much corruption and a legacy of brutal colonial rule and slavery. But, I don't think it's any more (or less) dangerous than many other countries that fit all or part of that description. That's why it's hosting the World Cup and Summer Olympics and why other developing countries will continue to do so in the future.

When I was traveling regularly to Brasil and other emerging markets on business, I used to say to people who expressed concerns about my safety similar to those that you express about Brady's, "Well, I guess that means you probably shouldn't go there."

Brady has "married in" to Brasil. I am sure he will be quite comfortable with his decision to accompany his wife to the Trophy presentation. And I am confident that both of them will be "safe."

And, I hope he dances at a game or party in the streets.

There was an excellent piece on Gumbel's Real Sports show on HBO (the racist host aside, it is a very good show). About how these countries (Russia, Greece, and now Brazil) have taken a bath on building these stadiums for the Olympics/World Cup. Apparently Brazil basically build a giant stadium in the middle of a rainforest, that will essentially host 13 soccer games during the World Cup and then will be left empty and un-used! The biggest "success" would be when Atlanta turned the Olympic Stadium into Turner Field (which is already outdated and is going to be replaced) not even twenty years later! I would hate to be a tax payer who footed the bill for any of these events.

First you have to bribe the correct FIFA/Olympic committee members in order to get awarded the games. Then you have to build giant multi million dollar stadiums and dorms. And then after the security costs, you will lose maybe a billon dollars! When you think of how Greece's economy collapsed after they hosted the games, I fear for Brazil.

There was an excellent piece on Gumbel's Real Sports show on HBO (the racist host aside, it is a very good show). About how these countries (Russia, Greece, and now Brazil) have taken a bath on building these stadiums for the Olympics/World Cup. Apparently Brazil basically build a giant stadium in the middle of a rainforest, that will essentially host 13 soccer games during the World Cup and then will be left empty and un-used! The biggest "success" would be when Atlanta turned the Olympic Stadium into Turner Field (which is already outdated and is going to be replaced) not even twenty years later! I would hate to be a tax payer who footed the bill for any of these events.

First you have to bribe the correct FIFA/Olympic committee members in order to get awarded the games. Then you have to build giant multi million dollar stadiums and dorms. And then after the security costs, you will lose maybe a billon dollars! When you think of how Greece's economy collapsed after they hosted the games, I fear for Brazil.

You make several good points.
1) The FIFA venue selection process (not to mention match conduct) is almost certainly corrupt. It is so bad that it is now widely reported that members of his board and others have asked Sepp Blattner not to run for re-election as FIFA President. It is so bad that the Qatar selection might actually be put to a re-vote and rescinded as a result. That's bad!
2) The Olympic selection process has been corrupt in the past, but seems to have cleaned itself up.

Where I might disagree with you and with Gumbel's view is that each country has to make its own assessment of the short and long-term trade-offs around the expense of putting up what are virtually single-use sites vs. the marketing and public relations benefits that accrue to the country as a result.

In the case of the Beijing, Korea and Sochi Olympics/World Cup decisions, the widely held view is that the tradeoffs were worth it in the two former cases and were likely worth it in the latter case, though not enough time has passed to be sure about Sochi.

The Atlanta Olympics were indeed a disaster in the eyes of most for many reasons, so I'd probably agree with your assessment there, but for different reasons. Vancouver also had a lot of problems.

It is difficult to draw a "cause and effect" link between the Athens Olympics and the Greek economic collapse. While the economy was a basket case without the Olympics and the country almost certainly should not have tried to host the games, that economy was doomed with or without the games.

Brazil falls in the "too early to tell" category. We need to see the impact of the World Cup and Rio Olympics before we will know for sure. It's not looking good, but I'm going to wait and see.

There was an excellent piece on Gumbel's Real Sports show on HBO (the racist host aside, it is a very good show). About how these countries (Russia, Greece, and now Brazil) have taken a bath on building these stadiums for the Olympics/World Cup. Apparently Brazil basically build a giant stadium in the middle of a rainforest, that will essentially host 13 soccer games during the World Cup and then will be left empty and un-used!

I wish for once that the greenies would do something useful and help stop abominations like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back