PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Bucs release Fiedler

Status
Not open for further replies.
whoo hoo!

trade Branch for him!

he's a Belichick type player!

he's a perfect fit!

we missed out on AJ Feeley--we'd better hurry and snatch him up!!!!!

/sarcasm

you cant trade for a guy whos been cut silly!

Wow that's suprising. He was probably the most sought after back-up QB this offseason.

Fiedler has an established record of playing here well

PatsWickedPissah said:
Fiedler has an established record of playing here well

He would be an outstanding scout team QB, and an extra set of eyes on Brady.

dryheat44 said:
He would be an outstanding scout team QB, and an extra set of eyes on Brady.

Actually I was talking about Arthur Fiedler playing here. My bad.

But as to football, I'd always favored ol jug ears as a backup for the Pats. But just maybe BB has other roster games he wants to play with the 3rd QB spot. Could also be 'shadow roster' for Fiedler.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Actually I was talking about Arthur Fiedler playing here. My bad.

But as to football, I'd always favored ol jug ears as a backup for the Pats. But just maybe BB has other roster games he wants to play with the 3rd QB spot. Could also be 'shadow roster' for Fiedler.

Ah yes...Uncle Arthur. You need to can the hi-brow references after 6:00.

I think he would be a perfect signing. He is that exact type of vet the Pats sign.
I would be surprised if the Pats weren't persuing him hard!

He's a good backup QB and I'm sure great in the film room. I used to get a chuckle when the Fins were promoting him as a legitimate QB. Perhaps in the old NFL maybe...back in the day of 3 RB's in the backfield. He'll make a team better by being on the bench...I'd rather stick with Cassel myself.

I don't get where this optimism to pursure Fiedler is coming from. He wasn't good enough to be a back-up QB for the Bucs. Can anyone name anyone else they have behind Chris Simms???? How does a failed stint with the Bucs equal a successful one here.

Remix 6 said:
you cant trade for a guy whos been cut silly!

pure sarcasm--never been a Fiedler fan--trying to get a jump on the anticipated clamor for his services in NE

Fiedler is shadow roster at best, and even then I'd try and pull Flutie in before Fiedler...

zippo59 said:
I don't get where this optimism to pursure Fiedler is coming from. He wasn't good enough to be a back-up QB for the Bucs. Can anyone name anyone else they have behind Chris Simms????

Absolutely, just give me a second while I go to NFL.com to see! :)

I think having him as our vet would be great. Now I'm going by the Feidler I saw play for the Dolphins. Maybe he isn't that good anymore.

I sure wouldn't want him as a starter, but I didn't want Miller as a starter either.

I'll be bummed out if we cut a guy with upside like Mincey or Britt to sign a guy like Fiedler with the way Cassel has looked.

sarge said:
Absolutely, just give me a second while I go to NFL.com to see! :)

I think having him as our vet would be great. Now I'm going by the Feidler I saw play for the Dolphins. Maybe he isn't that good anymore.

I sure wouldn't want him as a starter, but I didn't want Miller as a starter either.

Fiedler was exposed in 2004 when Ricky Williams ditched the team. Turns out Fiedler needs a 1800+ yard back in order to look halfway decent. He was completely a product of Williams. Without him it was painful to try to watch Fiedler try to move the ball. The offense didn't score a touchdown until about game 4 if I recall.

Last edited:
In all honesty here I don't see the need at ALL for Fiedler.The comments of a need for the Veteran QB baffles me.Is Brady not a veteran yet entering his 7th season..or is it 6?Either way.If Brady goes down and Cassel also goes down.Is a third QB really going to matter?That's when we ask our running backs and Oline to man up and move the chains on the ground.Fiedler is done.IMO.

He's not healthy.

They have Tim Rattay and Gradkowski?

McCown on PUP.

wistahpatsfan said:
Eagles signed Feidler today. Full circle.

No they didn't. They signed AJ Feeley. Full circle, since HE'S the one who used to play there.

You folks are going about it all wrong. I don't know if BB contacts Fiedler or not. I know he has in the past. And I'm not advocating that he should.

1. Who cares if Fiedler can no longer play, or that he needs an 1800 yard back (not true, BTW) to be successful. We're not signing him to set foot on the field. Ever.

2. Yes, Brady is a veteran quarterback. He doesn't need a mentoring. However, EVERY quarterback, from JP Losman to Peyton Manning to Brett Favre benefits from having an extra set of eyes on him. They tend to pick up things like a mechanical hiccup, or maybe the QB is inadvertently tipping the play off somehow, or maybe he notices something the defense is doing that can be exploited.

3. Damon Huard and Jim Miller were cited often by Belichick and the Pats defense for giving the D great looks in practice as the scout team QB. Fiedler would be great at this. Unlike Cassel, he's been around long enough to understand different offensive systems and quarterbacks' styles.

My last roster projection had Mruczkowski and Chad Brown fighting it out for the last roster spot. I think Fiedler would be more beneficial than either in helping the team win.

Dry - you just converted me with your reasoning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back