PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Browns expected to cut ties with Stallworth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not so sure. Did Stallworth make a big mistake/criminal act that cost another person their life? Absolutely. IIRC this was Stallworth's first brush with the law, unlike some others in the league and some who have even been signed by the Pats. (Moss/C. Dillon)
If you believe in second chances, you sign a guy like Stallworth if you think that he fits as WR #3.

It's amazing how rediculous some of you homers are. Do you really think Kraft is going to bring back a man who ran over and killed another person after a night of drinking? You must be drunk, yourself :rolleyes:

Well, for one the car accident was just that: an accident. For another, he would come absolutely, positively, filthy dirt cheap now. Not saying it's going to happen for sure, but it's certainly interesting to contemplate. For one, I would welcome back Stallworth with open arms.

It's not an accident to get drunk and then drive a car. Yes, the man who was killed darted out into the street and was killed..but the fact remains, Stallworth was driving drunk when it happened, and had the family of the victum pressed charges instead of taking the money, he would be in jail.

He knows the system.

He was a downfield threat.

He can provide some sort of early season help while Tate/Draftee get fully acquainted with game time and then move aside once they improve.

I'm all for it.

And as for Myra Kraft, I'm not particularly bothered by her opinion. This is football, not Church.
Correction.... Temple sir!
DW Toys

It's amazing how rediculous some of you homers are. Do you really think Kraft is going to bring back a man who ran over and killed another person after a night of drinking? You must be drunk, yourself :rolleyes:
At least we can spell

Stallworth?

What about signing stallworth?

a low cost

rehabilitated wr

who knows our system.

We know what we get

Re: Stallworth?

We know what we get

A guy who served waaaaay less time in prison for vehicular manslaughter than you or I would have, had we done the exact same thing. :rolleyes:

When was the last time Stallowrth played a football game?

I think it needs to be considered.

it was a bad mistake that could of happened to a lot of people and it was tragic. I saw highlights on TV last night of Stallworth with the Pats, ..now he was what you wanted in a 3rd reciever. The guy made plays. After watching someone like Aiken who just seemed a bit awkward catching the ball, a reciever should be top priority.

There was talk of him being in the doghouse at the end of the season but he still averaged about 30 snaps a game.

I liked him. Not opposed to seeing him get a shot.

You guys should follow Donte on Twitter. This is a guy who KNOWS the meaning of "second chance" - I have no questions about his character as he portrays himself in the realms of the inter-web.

http://twitter.com/D_Stallworth18

And yes, I know the net is not reality, but Twitter is so impulse-based, I think it paints a reasonable picture.

it was a bad mistake that could of happened to a lot of people and it was tragic. I saw highlights on TV last night of Stallworth with the Pats, ..now he was what you wanted in a 3rd reciever. The guy made plays. After watching someone like Aiken who just seemed a bit awkward catching the ball, a reciever should be top priority.

Highlights only show half the equation. Actually, in Stallworth's case less than half. He had potential everywhere he played. Never quite realized it. He isn't a consistent route runner but he made up for it to some extent with YAC. Unfortunately, if you can't count on a guy to be where he was supposed to be when you need him to be, his otherwise mad skills begin to provide diminishing returns. Even moreso in a read and react system timing based system. Towards the end Donte had lost his early swagger, he had an almost deer in the headlights look on his face and his catches were more of the 4th option/last resort on a broken play variety. They didn't yield much YAC, either. He just wasn't a system fit. The last thing Brady needs is another guy on the roster and active on gameday whom he can't consistently utilize against competent defenses. He needs a couple of young healthy versatile WR's he can develop like Collie and Garcon (or Branch and Givens...whom he raised from pups much the same way Manning did this season - and won 2 rings with.)

Last edited:

Highlights only show half the equation. Actually, in Stallworth's case less than half. He had potential everywhere he played. Never quite realized it. He isn't a consistent route runner but he made up for it to some extent with YAC. Unfortunately, if you can't count on a guy to be where he was supposed to be when you need him to be, his otherwise mad skills begin to provide diminishing returns. Even moreso in a read and react system timing based system. Towards the end Donte had lost his early swagger, he had an almost deer in the headlights look on his face and his catches were more of the 4th option/last resort on a broken play variety. They didn't yield much YAC, either. He just wasn't a system fit. The last thing Brady needs is another guy on the roster and active on gameday whom he can't consistently utilize against competent defenses. He needs a couple of young healthy versatile WR's he can develop like Collie and Garcon (or Branch and Givens...whom he raised from pups much the same way Manning did this season - and won 2 rings with.)

He's not the answer obviously, but a low risk high reward guy who needs a break and we can cut if he doesn't work out? I don't have a problem with that. If you saw an efficient timing offense in 2009, you need to show me, because I didn't.

He's not the answer obviously, but a low risk high reward guy who needs a break and we can cut if he doesn't work out? I don't have a problem with that. If you saw an efficient timing offense in 2009, you need to show me, because I didn't.

That's because we didn't have the players to execute it with beyond Welker. Collecting more guys who can't would just perpetuate that. Roster spots (and QB's and coaches time and effort) are valuable. We need to treat them accordingly. I'd rather take a shot on some unknown with potential developmental upside based on intangibles than tread water with more of the same thing that already didn't work.

To me Stallworth at this point is no better than a 3rd or 4th receiver,If that is what he wants to get paid for then I can see him in here but he is not a
2nd depth receiver IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back