PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Browns expected to cut ties with Stallworth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is a no brainer, provided you work him out first and make sure he has still his legs. We know he can play in this offense and succeed. As far as "the incident" by all accounts he is a good guy who just made one really dumb mistake. Not an excusable mistake, but certainly not an unforgiveable one.

His contract was heavily performace based when he was here was it not? He was due a fair amount of money if we took the option up so I think that may have been a factor in deciding not to keep him. He wasn't terrible here but I don't think he justified the money.

He was also reportedly in the substance abuse program and after his DUI case last year, eveything sort of says he wont be in a Patriot uniform come september.

He'll probrably end up in Kansas.

I enjoyed him and his time in New England, was sad to see him go

We have had (and still have) some players who aren't angels. Moss for one. Faulk had his pot issue last offseason (not that I care, just for reference). It was a terrible accident he was in but it was an accident, he's not a woman beater or something like that which is worse, IMO, as it's intentional.

It was a criminal act that resulted in the loss of a man's life. Can't say I want to see him on the team ever.

I don't think that a team like the Patriots can be particular with A guy like Stallworths past and be cheap at the same time. Time to get over your selves and go for the cheap.

Sign the beast.

They let him go even prior to the car accident, so I'm not sure why there would be any expectation of him returning after all that's happened.
If I'm not mistaken his contract was structured in such a way that it was almost a given that he would be a Pat for only one year - in reality a one year rental so he could get a payday somewhere else.

But on the other hand you are correct, the Pats made no attempt to restructure his contract either. Gaffney took over much of his playing time in the second half of that season.

At this point though he should be available in the $1 - $2 mil range. For that price he's worth taking a look at, considering familiarity with the QB and the team.

They let him go even prior to the car accident, so I'm not sure why there would be any expectation of him returning after all that's happened.

Well, for one the car accident was just that: an accident. For another, he would come absolutely, positively, filthy dirt cheap now. Not saying it's going to happen for sure, but it's certainly interesting to contemplate. For one, I would welcome back Stallworth with open arms.

Stallworth had already worn out his welcome by the time he left. He was sliding down the depth chart and really didn't product much more than 1-2 catches a game by the end. I think there will be better players available since he would be the Pats 4th WR probably at best.

ok say we forget the fact that he killed a man while DUI

he will be 31 years old and he only had 3 TD's in a year that brady throw 50 he would be no more help then galloway was this year.

the pats need a WR that can free up moss not a WR that needs moss to free him up. welker, may not play next year and if he dose will he ever be the same with that type of injury.

if all the pats want is a cheap 30 something WR and hope that Edelman, and tate, will take that step and be a big part of the offense next year.

then Terrell Owens. or branch would be a much better pick up.

BB does not bring back former pats.

really noneed. draft someone like maclin/jackson like the eagles did. or someonelike nicks/smith the giants did or someone lilke jennings like the pack did.enough of opening a rehab facility @ foxboro every yr for older or cut players.

He knows the system.

He was a downfield threat.

He can provide some sort of early season help while Tate/Draftee get fully acquainted with game time and then move aside once they improve.

I'm all for it.

And as for Myra Kraft, I'm not particularly bothered by her opinion. This is football, not Church.

LOL Obviously you have no idea where Robert got the seed money to buy a football stadium and ultimately the team that played in it...

And he wasn't much of a downfield threat because he wasn't much of a route runner. In this system ultimately sloppy route runners provide diminishing returns. Early on he had some exciting YAC. But Brady relies on his targets to be where they are supposed to be or after a while he stops looking for them.

This team doesn't need bandaids. They need a reasonably talented corps of receivers who practice and play with focus and intensity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes