PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Browns are being sold

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoLewisrocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Rumors of negotiations with a PA businessman who is a minority owner of the Steelers all AM. Holmgren just confirmed in his 2PM presser that the team is indeed being sold with a promise it will remain in Cleveland. Some feel Holmgren won't survive past this season if part of the rumor is true that former Eagles President Joe Banner will be part of the group acquiring the team. Lerner has certainly been a disaster of an owner and reportedly is more focused on his other holdings including a soccer team.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ould-transfer-controlling-interest-in-browns/

Last edited:
Lerner never had a passion for being a football owner after inheriting the team. Haslam tried to buy the Titans before as well as now having minority ownership with the Steelers. The guy is from Tennessee, word is that he has no interest in moving to LA; prefers the smaller city lifestyle. Besides that the Browns have a very long ways to go with their stadium lease with the city of Cleveland.

The Browns aren't going anywhere, except their usual position of the cellar of the AFCN. Lerner has been the exception that proves the rule that having a Jewish owner is a good thing. ;)

The City Of Cleveland should sell itself as well...to the highest bidder which wouldn't be much - can you move a whole city? :cool:

Last edited:
The Browns aren't going anywhere, except their usual position of the cellar of the AFCN. Lerner has been the exception that proves the rule that having a Jewish owner is a good thing. ;)

what a stupid thing to say(and yes, i :eek:am jewish)

I wish my Knicks had a Jewish owner.

...come to think of it, I wish my Knicks had ANY owner not named "Dolan".

Lerner was an idiot owner. The new guy can't be as bad, can he?

Cleveland has supported the new Browns way past any understanding and deserves better.

My first NFL team that I really liked and followed were the Browns in the late 50's, anything was better than the Giants or Redskins...

The fans were "sold out" when the original Browns went to Baltimore, the "new" Browns have never proven to be all that good.. having made the playoffs only once since 1999.

Perhaps new ownership will be good for this team.. their fans deserve better.

My first NFL team that I really liked and followed were the Browns in the late 50's, anything was better than the Giants or Redskins...

The fans were "sold out" when the original Browns went to Baltimore, the "new" Browns have never proven to be all that good.. having made the playoffs only once since 1999.

Perhaps new ownership will be good for this team.. their fans deserve better.

Reportedly this will be involved ownership. The family is from Tennessee (brother is governor) and they tried to buy the Titans from Bud but he wouldn't sell. So this brother bought in as a minority owner in the Steelers (which he will have to divest). Apparently when former Eagles President Joe Banner left them earlier this year to persue other interests, this was what he was talking about. He's expected to replace Holmgren who has done nada since coming in to overhaul the whole organization since Lerner's give a rat a second chance Mangini disaster. It's kind of lousy timing though for a changing of the guard. They drafted Weeden in the first and unless he pans out early in a situation where all the coaching staff is now effectively lame ducks, they will be looking at another top to bottom overhaul to be whatever the next HC is looking for come 2013. GM Heckert who was hired last season would likely remain since he was GM in Philly on most of Banner's watch.

Depending on how it all shakes out, don't discount McD as a HC candidate there in 2013 or 2014 since Ohio is home. Could also be a second chance landing spot for Spagnolo if he does well with the Saints D since he came up in the Eagles system so Banner is familiar with him. Wouldn't be surprised to see Banner poach a lot of the Eagles staff not named Reid since he was the guy who reshaped that organization for Lurie before he lost influence to Reid over the last couple of years. Shurmur is also a former Eagle, but unless he can rebound from 4-12 he's probably toast after this season as a first time HC.

Given the way the fans and media scapegoated Bill over something that was not of his doing, and basically dogged him all the way to his job here, I've never had much sympathy for bad karma plagueing the dog pound ever since...

The City Of Cleveland should sell itself as well...to the highest bidder which wouldn't be much - can you move a whole city? :cool:

Sure, just bulldoze it into the lake.

Part of me feels sorry for Browns fans... but then they go and do something like hire Mangini and have kool aid drinking fans staunchly defending it

Knowing how much the Cleveland fan base hates Pittsburgh, this might be fun to watch

Reportedly this will be involved ownership. The family is from Tennessee (brother is governor) and they tried to buy the Titans from Bud but he wouldn't sell. So this brother bought in as a minority owner in the Steelers (which he will have to divest). Apparently when former Eagles President Joe Banner left them earlier this year to persue other interests, this was what he was talking about. He's expected to replace Holmgren who has done nada since coming in to overhaul the whole organization since Lerner's give a rat a second chance Mangini disaster. It's kind of lousy timing though for a changing of the guard. They drafted Weeden in the first and unless he pans out early in a situation where all the coaching staff is now effectively lame ducks, they will be looking at another top to bottom overhaul to be whatever the next HC is looking for come 2013. GM Heckert who was hired last season would likely remain since he was GM in Philly on most of Banner's watch.

Depending on how it all shakes out, don't discount McD as a HC candidate there in 2013 or 2014 since Ohio is home. Could also be a second chance landing spot for Spagnolo if he does well with the Saints D since he came up in the Eagles system so Banner is familiar with him. Wouldn't be surprised to see Banner poach a lot of the Eagles staff not named Reid since he was the guy who reshaped that organization for Lurie before he lost influence to Reid over the last couple of years. Shurmur is also a former Eagle, but unless he can rebound from 4-12 he's probably toast after this season as a first time HC.

Given the way the fans and media scapegoated Bill over something that was not of his doing, and basically dogged him all the way to his job here, I've never had much sympathy for bad karma plagueing the dog pound ever since...

Nice pickup on Josh.

I never blamed the fans for how they treated Coach Belichick. He clearly didn't deserve it, but they were truly frustrated and he was left holding the bag and had the guts not to duck them. Judgment and IQ are not pre-requisites for getting into an NFL game; the price on the ticket is all you have to have in your pocket.

Who's "Bud?"

Last edited:
Nice pickup on Josh.

I never blamed the fans for how they treated Coach Belichick. He clearly didn't deserve it, but they were truly frustrated and he was left holding the bag and had the guts not to duck them. Judgment and IQ are not pre-requisites for getting into an NFL game; the price on the ticket is all you have to have in your pocket.

Who's "Bud?"

Titans owner Bud Adams, the 89 year old meddlesome albeit Houston resident absentee owner who just had to draft Vince Young and recently tried to pay Peyton $25M per to finish his career in Tennessee against the wishes of his latest staff.

Titans owner Bud Adams, the 89 year old meddlesome albeit Houston resident absentee owner who just had to draft Vince Young and recently tried to pay Peyton $25M per to finish his career in Tennessee against the wishes of his latest staff.

Thanks. I'd forgotten the Young business, but do remember his, unsolicited as I recall, entrance into the Peyton sweepstakes. Man, we are so fortunate to have the Kraft family owning this team!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back