PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Broncos vs. Cowboys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool. We get to end another undefeated streak next week.

We took out the 2-0 Atlanta last week, followed by the 3-0 Ravens today, and now for the 4-0 Broncos and a coach that knows us better than anybody.

Ain't that grand? We're converting a few goose eggs these days :D

Dallas is overrated IMO. Someone said of Romo that he was an UFA who had come a long way and is pretty much content to be where he is at right now, and I think that really fits his description to a T. What Dallas really needs is a marquee QB that is not just happy being the Cowboys QB.

On that last inc. I could swear I saw an "hey I did my job and threw the ball where it was supposed to go" expression on his face.

A winning Coach and QB combo: Wade Phillips and Tony Romo

Broncos defense is ranked #1 in the league giving up 5.3 points per game.

I'm glad Denver won so that we can continue our streak of beating undefeated teams. Our defense is legit as well. We just held a high scoring Ravens team to only 14 pts. Denver's offense is no where near that of the team we played today. I predict a huge win for the Pats next week.

I predict a win but not a blowout. I'd say more like 24-13. I mean who really have they beaten? I give them credit thus far for their defensive heroics but it ends next week.

Broncos defense is ranked #1 in the league giving up 5.3 points per game.

Yeah, but look at the awesome offensive power on their schedule so far.

at Cincinnati Bengals W 12-7
Cleveland Browns W 27-6
Oakland Raiders W 23-3
Dallas Cowboys W 17-10

:eek:

Yeah, but look at the awesome offensive power on their schedule so far.

at Cincinnati Bengals W 12-7
Cleveland Browns W 27-6
Oakland Raiders W 23-3
Dallas Cowboys W 17-10

:eek:

Haha, I know. Still an insane stat.

Actually, holding the Bengals/Cowboys to low scores is impressive.

I haven't seen the Broncos yet this year. Can someone explain how the hell their defense has turned it around from last year? How many new starters?

I just hate playing at Danver. It rarely goes well.

I'm glad Denver won so that we can continue our streak of beating undefeated teams. Our defense is legit as well. We just held a high scoring Ravens team to only 14 pts. Denver's offense is no where near that of the team we played today. I predict a huge win for the Pats next week.

Don't be overconfident.

Denver is playing very good football. The Giants barely beat Dallas week 2, and the Giants are an extremely good team. The Giants defense gave up 31 points to the Cowboys offense. Denver gave up 10.

I can't remember a team that started off so rocky with a new coach and then looked so good. The 2000-2001 Pats come closest to mind, but not in the same league. Give McDaniels credit - he has Denver playing like a team. Kyle Ortan is playing mistake free football - 20/29 for 243 yards with 2 TDs and 0 INTs. He has 0 INTS so far this season and a 91+ QB rating. They rushed for 117 yards which had previously given up on 73 yards rushing to Carolina.

And Mike Nolan has them playing defense. Really stingy defense, averaging under 7 points per game. Sure, they beat Cincy on a fluke in the opener, but Cincy is 3-1, and Dallas is a good team.

Should we win? Definitely, if we play well. We're too strong on both sides of the ball. But I assume that Denver won't make many mistakes on offense to give us points, and will take advantage of mistakes that we make. Our offense has already given up 14 points to opposing defenses this season, almost 20% of our opponent's total points. That's not acceptable.

If we execute well and avoid mistakes we should win convincingly. But if we look past this game or get sloppy we could be in big trouble.

I haven't seen the Broncos yet this year. Can someone explain how the hell their defense has turned it around from last year? How many new starters?

Hey guys...not sure if anyone ever remembers when I stop by or not...but I'm back, as I have been for every one of the past Broncos-Pats games.

I'll post something more in depth probably tomorrow, but to keep it simple and answer your question:

a) Brian Dawkins--Such a key signing, brings intensity to the defense, plus our first legit safety since Lynch...REALLY has helped us

b) Andre Goodman--Significant upgrade over Dre Bly opposite Champ

c) Elvis Dumervil---Has returned to his '07 form, I believe he has either 7 or 8 sacks on the year now

d) Mike Nolan-- He's really brought some great things to this defense, much better than any d coordinator the Broncos have had in a while

Again, I'll go more in depth tomorrow...for now: I'm looking forward to this match-up, it should be fun, as always (except for last year).

they switched to a 3-4 and now have a pass rush, that's pretty much it......

Thanks RYO and jcdavey.

Looking forward to next week's matchup!

LOL, yea

i dont want to look past this game...and its at mile high (although i believe most of our past troubles with the broncos have been b/c of shanahan)

either way, theyre playing good Defense, and enough offense to win

i trust we win, but be wary of a team thats playing good football right now, and also has luck on their side

Excellent analysis, as always!

Many will underestimate the broncos, but the team won't be looking past this game. After all, we only have the titans and the bucs before the bye.

Don't be overconfident.

Denver is playing very good football. The Giants barely beat Dallas week 2, and the Giants are an extremely good team. The Giants defense gave up 31 points to the Cowboys offense. Denver gave up 10.

I can't remember a team that started off so rocky with a new coach and then looked so good. The 2000-2001 Pats come closest to mind, but not in the same league. Give McDaniels credit - he has Denver playing like a team. Kyle Ortan is playing mistake free football - 20/29 for 243 yards with 2 TDs and 0 INTs. He has 0 INTS so far this season and a 91+ QB rating. They rushed for 117 yards which had previously given up on 73 yards rushing to Carolina.

And Mike Nolan has them playing defense. Really stingy defense, averaging under 7 points per game. Sure, they beat Cincy on a fluke in the opener, but Cincy is 3-1, and Dallas is a good team.

Should we win? Definitely, if we play well. We're too strong on both sides of the ball. But I assume that Denver won't make many mistakes on offense to give us points, and will take advantage of mistakes that we make. Our offense has already given up 14 points to opposing defenses this season, almost 20% of our opponent's total points. That's not acceptable.

If we execute well and avoid mistakes we should win convincingly. But if we look past this game or get sloppy we could be in big trouble.

LOL, yea

i dont want to look past this game...and its at mile high (although i believe most of our past troubles with the broncos have been b/c of shanahan)

either way, theyre playing good Defense, and enough offense to win

i trust we win, but be wary of a team thats playing good football right now, and also has luck on their side

Well said.

Looking forward to this game already. It'll give us a chance to see if the apprentice has some tricks up his sleeve for the master. It should be a telling tactical battle.

Broncos are playing some hellified ball.

There have been big changes on Denver's defense. Just looking at the starters:

3 New starters in the defensive secondary (Dawkins, Hill, Goodman), where only Bailey remains

Dumervil, who was a DE last year, is now a starter at LB, Along With Davis, Williams and Haggan. 2 of last season's starters, Winborn and Webster, are no longer on the team. I don't believe that they are even in the league right now.

Ryan McBean, a Steelers castoff, has been starting on the D-line, along with Ronald Fields (who came from SF), and Kenny Peterson, who played for Denver last season but only started in 1 game.

That's 3 new players in the secondary, 1 new player at linebacker, and 2 new players on the D-line. That makes 6 of 11 defensive starters that weren't on the team last season, and that's not even getting into position changes or backups. The overhaul of the Broncos' defense has been extensive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back