PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Brian Cushing suspended four games for PEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all we know, this could be Starcaps redux.

FWIW, Adam Schefter's ESPN article specifically mentioned "steroid policy," before changing it to PEDs.

Do you really believe BB's bs explanation that he "misinerpreted" the rule? I love the Pats, and defended them against other fans, but amongst other Pats fans, I'll freely admit BB was a moron for keeping the practice of videotaping after the NFL specifically faxed the new rule to teams prior to 2006 after a couple of teams complained against us for videotaping when we played against them.
Belichick was dumb to continue when he knew they were on to him. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

However as he used them only for future scouting, no different from normal advance scouting except more accurate as it could be done slower with replay, I think he though it was at worst a minor infraction and wouldn't blow up like it did.

Do you really believe BB's bs explanation that he "misinerpreted" the rule? I love the Pats, and defended them against other fans, but amongst other Pats fans, I'll freely admit BB was a moron for keeping the practice of videotaping after the NFL specifically faxed the new rule to teams prior to 2006 after a couple of teams complained against us for videotaping when we played against them.

Add to the fact that we did it against the Jets who just hired Mangini, who knew of our practices and who had an axe to grind, and in the first game of the season just weeks fresh after the fax was sent, it was just pure arrogance on BB's part. Simply a Nixonian type of move. So stupid.
You can go whichever way you want on it. You can take the value of what BB said or you can infer your own meaning. It's a rule violation and deserved to be punished accordingly but if people are going to lecture compare taping procedure for future use and the use of PED's and then compare the difference in punishment.

That's what this is about. It's not equitable or "fair".

Last edited:

Feel free to look at the lawsuit by the Jets' fan:

The NFL's lawyer, Shepard Goldfein of Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom, said the lower court properly recognized that fans cannot be allowed to sue over violations of NFL rules.....

But Goldfein said everyone knows that NFL rules allow for teams to study the signals of opponents, and that the Patriots violated the rule by videotaping from the sidelines. But Goldfein also said the rule was subject to interpretation and that Belichick thought he was staying within the rule by simply not using the videotapes on the same day they were made.

Law.com - 3rd Circuit May Revive $184 Million Class Action Over NFL Team Taping Rival's Signals

You can also look up the old forum links on the subject for further enlightenment. Here's one thread on the topic:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/77818-specter-goodells-explanations-dont-pass-scrutiny.html

And here's another one, with a fairly heated, for the time, exchange between Pujo and myself.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/62502-jimmy-johnson-wfan.html

Last edited:
Feel free to look at the lawsuit by the Jets' fan:

Law.com - 3rd Circuit May Revive $184 Million Class Action Over NFL Team Taping Rival's Signals

You can also look up the old forum links on the subject for further enlightenment. Here's one thread on the topic:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/77818-specter-goodells-explanations-dont-pass-scrutiny.html

And here's another one, with a fairly heated, for the time, exchange between Pujo and myself.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/62502-jimmy-johnson-wfan.html

Here are the video taping rules (researched by Reiss a couple of years ago).

Videotaping rules - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

In a memo to NFL head coaches and general managers on Sept. 6, 2006, NFL executive vice president of football operations Ray Anderson wrote: "Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."

I think it's insulting for him to think that fans would believe his lame excuse.

Here are the video taping rules (researched by Reiss a couple of years ago).

Videotaping rules - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

I think it's insulting for him to think that fans would believe his lame excuse.

I think it's insulting that anyone would call the 'excuse' lame. (Also, the memo is not the binding material). This has been gone over time and time again.

Last edited:
I think it's insulting that anyone would call the 'excuse' lame. (Also, the memo is not the binding material). This has been gone over time and time again.

:rolleyes: Don't be silly. I know you're not insulted by my comment.

Wow, some of you guys are jokes. Rip on me all you want and come up with your crazy, backassed ideas that the Patriots never broke any rules.

The Patriots effed up, big time. This is my team but unlike some of you delusional tools, I, along with a few others, have the balls to admit that.

WE CHEATED. We broke the set rules just like Brian Cushing did by taking NFL illegal substances.

You guys can sit on here all day and ***** and moan, trying to convince yourself the Patriots never cheated. Making up some bull crap excuses about why it was only a slight bend of the rules or it was something that everyone did, and, "we just got caught." But that's the thing, we were the only one who got caught. We got in trouble. It doesn't matter who else did it. We were caught for cheating and we were punished. You people are the worst type of fans.

Wow, some of you guys are jokes. Rip on me all you want and come up with your crazy, backassed ideas that the Patriots never broke any rules.

The Patriots effed up, big time. This is my team but unlike some of you delusional tools, I, along with a few others, have the balls to admit that.

WE CHEATED. We broke the set rules just like Brian Cushing did by taking NFL illegal substances.

You guys can sit on here all day and ***** and moan, trying to convince yourself the Patriots never cheated. Making up some bull crap excuses about why it was only a slight bend of the rules or it was something that everyone did, and, "we just got caught." But that's the thing, we were the only one who got caught. We got in trouble. It doesn't matter who else did it. We were caught for cheating and we were punished. You people are the worst type of fans.

While I care, deeply, about your perception of "we people" as fans, I should point out, yet again, that the NFL is now defending itself against a lawsuit by using the very arguments that "we people" were using. So, while "we people" will be heartbroken because some unknown poster on the internet considers us to be the worst type of fans, we'll take solace in knowing that we were right, and that the NFL has had to come clean about it in order to save its bacon.

But you.... you just stay awesome! :rocker:

:rolleyes: Don't be silly. I know you're not insulted by my comment.

Nor were you by the Patriots' explanation, but you made the claim so I thought that I, too, would claim victim status.

I wish my general point of view was as awesome of yours. Not only have you not addressed any of the issues of equity in suspension/fines/draft pick removal but you've also had the where with all to unload of Patriots fans who have stated the obvious comparisons and inequality in both actions.

You're an embarrassment to the fan base and yourself with opinions as such.

Last edited:
But you.... you just stay awesome! :rocker:

Hah, I Literally LOL'd. LLOL'd.

The NFL's defense against this lawsuit is just the thing to let those few reasonable people out there realize that this really was no BFD and blown way out of proportion by the media and Godell. Of course, some other **** fans may not be capable of understanding that, but whatever, what would the world be like without **** fans.

dear-god-make-it-stop.jpg

I wish my general point of view was as awesome of yours. Not only have you not addressed any of the issues of equity in suspension/fines/draft pick removal but you've also had the where with all to unload of Patriots fans who have stated the obvious comparisons and inequality in both actions.

It was never about equity, it was about the irony of people complaining that Cushing should lose DROY because he was on drugs when they are fans of a team that has a) been caught cheating and b) had it's own players get caught for drugs.

Last edited:

the previous poster may be a tool, but you're just as much of an embarrasment as he is

both cushing and matthews are about the most obvious cases of PED's in the draft last year, but some teams figure they don't care an dwill deal with it when they need to...

don't know if this is the reason the pats stayed away from matthews.....but it is possible they know how big he is supposed to be....given that his old man played for BB, I am pretty sure they had an eye on him and that they went in another direction either because he didn't fit the scheme or they foresaw something like this happening

it will be interesting to see what happens to cushing when he is taken off his meds.......

ausbacker is as far from a tool as you can find.

Nor were you by the Patriots' explanation, but you made the claim so I thought that I, too, would claim victim status.

I enjoy your subtle sarcasm much more when I agree with the point you are making.:D

'poor' Brian Cushing - four game suspension. Seriously, how can any high schooler or mediocre collegiate player learn from this lesson after:

15. Brian Cushing LB Houston Signed 5 years, $18 million ($10.435M guaranteed)

The NFL's policy is a farce and just for show. In my perfect world , during NFL combine, at draftees Pro day and after being drafted - a rookie player would be spot tested EVERY few months right through TC (so can be sure if he wins a spot on team - he is not having an unfair advantage because of PED's).

My first time penalty would be a 1 year ban from game. That would have some bite to it and discourage the youngsters..

Brian Cushings case (4 game ban) after having inked a $10 million guaranteed contract is not going to disuade any youngster.

A guy named Cushing on steroids... who would've thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey