PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Breer: Scout: Dez Bryant best WR prospect in 10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really ? You may be right, but I have a feeling that Randy doesn't want to be here anymore, his comment about the Pats thriftiness and Mr. Kraft's rebuttal to those comments, to me, has made this his last season in NE. I hope I am wrong, I would love for Randy to be resigned, but we all know that we are not going to pay him the kind of money a Jerry Jones or someone else would. I would bet he walks.

This is where the excessive media coverage creates overall confusion.
Moss was asked a question, and basically said that from what he has seen, at that stage in his career chances are the Patriots wouldn't be interested in a new deal. All very true, and all very generic.
Somehow those comments now become treated as the sum total of everything in Moss' mid regarding his future here. The unknown Patriots response is treated as non-existent, the future negotiations can't happen because this comment was made, and it must mean he doesnt want to be here because its the only comment we heard him make, so must be his final position.
Its crazy, and it has even been used to extrapolate that he won't play hard this year.

Funniest thing I've read all week

I have said it before and I will say it again. Even if Bryant is a superstar in Dallas, we may never know if Belichick made a mistake. Again, the Cowboys' offense is a dumbed down offense compared to the Patriots because Romo is a dumbed down QB compared to Brady. The knock on Bryant is his football intelligence. He went to a system where that isn't as much of a problem. With the Pats, it would be.

Belichick makes mistakes. Every coach/GM does. But just because Bryant does well in the Cowboys' system doesn't neccessarily mean he would do well in the Pats' system.

+1

Just another spoiled brat joining the big leagues.

This is where the excessive media coverage creates overall confusion.
Moss was asked a question, and basically said that from what he has seen, at that stage in his career chances are the Patriots wouldn't be interested in a new deal. All very true, and all very generic.
Somehow those comments now become treated as the sum total of everything in Moss' mid regarding his future here. The unknown Patriots response is treated as non-existent, the future negotiations can't happen because this comment was made, and it must mean he doesnt want to be here because its the only comment we heard him make, so must be his final position.
Its crazy, and it has even been used to extrapolate that he won't play hard this year.

They will try to re-sign Moss if he holds up physically, IMO. They just have a lot of other contracts to do. Moss is not stupid and he will return to the team if the money is fair and he is still having fun and winning. But a lot of folks apparently have decided that Moss is gone no matter what.

They will try to re-sign Moss if he holds up physically, IMO. They just have a lot of other contracts to do. Moss is not stupid and he will return to the team if the money is fair and he is still having fun and winning. But a lot of folks apparently have decided that Moss is gone no matter what.

Couple of things people need to consider:

- The 2010 WR class was deep but not top-heavy. The Pats were loaded with picks, but not with first round picks.

- The 2011 WR class is anticipated to be shallow but should be loaded at the top. The Pats have fewer picks in 2011 but have multiple top picks.

The Pats approach just makes a lot of sense. Why spend your money getting the best WR in a weak class when you can get a top WR in an outstanding class? Bryant is 6'2" and the top WRs in 2011 are 6'4"+ and run just as well as Bryant. Getting Bryant in 2010 may have caused the Pats to pass on a better Moss replacement in 2011.

They will definitely offer him a contract. It just won't be on the same level as the one he has right now, and it'll probably be a year-to-year basis.

They will definitely offer him a contract. It just won't be on the same level as the one he has right now, and it'll probably be a year-to-year basis.
And you know this how?

Couple of things people need to consider:

- The 2010 WR class was deep but not top-heavy. The Pats were loaded with picks, but not with first round picks.

- The 2011 WR class is anticipated to be shallow but should be loaded at the top. The Pats have fewer picks in 2011 but have multiple top picks.

The Pats approach just makes a lot of sense. Why spend your money getting the best WR in a weak class when you can get a top WR in an outstanding class? Bryant is 6'2" and the top WRs in 2011 are 6'4"+ and run just as well as Bryant. Getting Bryant in 2010 may have caused the Pats to pass on a better Moss replacement in 2011.

Ah, you speak of one Julio Jones my friend, now you're talking.........

6'4" - 211lbs.............

The next Randy Moss will be in Foxboro in 2011....

No guarantee you will get the apple of your eye. BB is not particularly keen on picking WR in the first round. I mean you could not have scripted this better -- the top receiver of the 2010 draft fell into NE's lap and the Patriots passed.

I think by now Belichick has to realize that Moss has the most value to the team as a role player. His body cannot hold up as an every down receiver / decoy. I think this is part of the beefing up of the TE's and receiver. We'll carry 4 RB's this year with an added receiver on the game roster. Moss catching 5-6 passes a game will still be huge especially if he is fresh on the red zone plays.

Just because BB decided not to draft Bryant, doesn't mean it won't wind up being a mistake. Bethel Johnson over Anquan Boldin waves hello. And I can show dozens of BB mistakes over the last 5 draft years. That being said, I think he did a very good job this year, I can honestly say, I liked every pick from round 2 to 7.

that's because they haven't played yet.

a few years from now when some of them don't pan out you'll be adding them to your list of dozens.

It's funny, I had thought that 23 teams passed on Bryant, even one that drafted a receiver. Thanks to this board, I now understand that only the Patriots made the crazy mistake of letting him go. :)

But here's something I don't get. How can a guy with significant learning problems, with an irregular heartbeat, who repeatedly showed up late for practices and even games, who got so panicky in the face of questioning that he lied to NCAA authorities and got himself suspended, and who has totally average measurables possibly be considered a better draft-time prospect than Calvin Johnson?

I think the lack of blue-chip WRs in this draft has made a lot of folks lose perspective. Let's look back at Johnson, who was a spectacularly productive college receiver with all the tools: great hands, great body control, great character and work ethic, and the amazing combo of 6'05" 239 size with 4.35 speed. Bryant, meanwhile, checks in at 6'2" 224 4.52, with shuttle and cone times suitable for a tight end.

I'm not saying Bryant isn't talented, of course he is. But he's covered with risk flags at the riskiest position in the draft. Any "best prospect" definition that ignores that isn't worth the pixels it's printed on.

And you know this how?

Last year, BB signed a 40 year old WR, this year he signed a 34 year old WR, what's to say he won't repeat this pattern next year? Even a elderly Moss at #2 or #3 is still better than most #2, #3 WR in the NFL.

Also he's pretty familiar with the system, and he and Brady are so in tune with each other they can adjust option, or even completely change a route on the fly because Moss reads a DB with closed hip or Brady reads MOFO, for example. Why let this go to waste?

However if some other team throws a load of cash at Moss- that can always change, although I hope not.

My argument to him would be- where else would he find the combination of a top-notch QB, a coach who will never throw him under the bus, and a supremely competent owner?

Last edited:
Last year, BB signed a 40 year old WR, this year he signed a 34 year old WR, what's to say he won't repeat this pattern next year? Even a elderly Moss at #2 or #3 is still better than most #2, #3 WR in the NFL.

Also he's pretty familiar with the system, and he and Brady are so in tune with each other they can adjust option, or even completely change a route on the fly because Moss reads a DB with closed hip or Brady reads MOFO, for example. Why let this go to waste?

However if some other team throws a load of cash at Moss- that can always change, although I hope not.

My argument to him would be- where else would he find the combination of a top-notch QB, a coach who will never throw him under the bus, and a supremely competent owner?
Oh, I completely agree with all this. I was just wondering how you know they won't offer him a big contract similar to the one he has now (assuming he has his regular 1000+ yds 10+ tds season this year).

Oh, I completely agree with all this. I was just wondering how you know they won't offer him a big contract similar to the one he has now (assuming he has his regular 1000+ yds 10+ tds season this year).

Because he will decline; that is just the nature of the game and of your body. Nobody is going to win that battle.

His contract offer will reflect that.

Also I am sure that while there will be a rookie cap, there will be some sort of built in protection that ensures rookies don't get exploited a.k.a. Wilfork's five years of being underpaid.

With that being said, we have 4 picks in the top 2 rounds next year, and assuming we bat .500, we will have two big contracts coming up that we will need to take care of. Where will Moss fit in this scheme?

This is Breer's 'Borges moment'.

We still remember who Borges wanted us to draft instead of Seymour. ;)

To be fair to Borges, the Seymour pick was not at popular with Patriots fans at the time of pick.

To be fair to Borges, the Seymour pick was not at popular with Patriots fans at the time of pick.

You are right as usual, Miiguel. It was a pick that came out of left field, just like.....Darren McCourty. :D

To be fair to Lockhead Martin, using the Metric system was not at all popular with kids in elementary school at the time of the '99 Mars orbiter crash.

Borges was paid to offer his opinion and the result was a biblical fail. He offered himself as an expert and his declarations were absolute. The fact that Vinny from the North End agreed with him at the time doesn't make it any less infamous.

Breer has hitched his credibility wagon to Bryant. If he doesn't become a top NFL WR quickly, it won't matter who agreed with Breer last month. He went all in and we will see if he is still at the table next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes