PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Breer: Scout: Dez Bryant best WR prospect in 10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully Mccourty isn't the next Trevor Matich. Long time Pats fans know what I'm talking about. 1985, Pats had the 15th pick, and traded down, the 49ers traded up for our 15th pick and picked Jerry Rice, we picked Trevor Matich. Matich is a decent color commentator, but was a non descriptive Pro football player, very below average. I do believe Bryant has a chance to be a great WR, and could wind up being a big miss by BB. That being said, I really like the weapons we picked later in the draft. Gronkowski just seems to have IT, he's gonna be a beast, and Hernandez is gonna wind up being a steal. A lot of people don't realize he had the best receiving season ever for a Miami U TE, and holds the record for most receptions in a career for a Miami TE. That's saying a lot considering the TE's that have played there. Price looks to be an outside threat to go along wth Tate from last year. Brady has some good weapons to use this year. Hopefully they stay healthy and we finally use TE's as weapons. But I still drool at the thought of Moss & Bryant, oh well.

Hopefully Mccourty isn't the next Trevor Matich. Long time Pats fans know what I'm talking about. 1985, Pats had the 15th pick, and traded down, the 49ers traded up for our 15th pick and picked Jerry Rice, we picked Trevor Matich. Matich is a decent color commentator, but was a non descriptive Pro football player, very below average. I do believe Bryant has a chance to be a great WR, and could wind up being a big miss by BB. That being said, I really like the weapons we picked later in the draft. Gronkowski just seems to have IT, he's gonna be a beast, and Hernandez is gonna wind up being a steal. A lot of people don't realize he had the best receiving season ever for a Miami U TE, and holds the record for most receptions in a career for a Miami TE. That's saying a lot considering the TE's that have played there. Price looks to be an outside threat to go along wth Tate from last year. Brady has some good weapons to use this year. Hopefully they stay healthy and we finally use TE's as weapons. But I still drool at the thought of Moss & Bryant, oh well.

Hernandez is from UFlorida, which has had a bad reputation for TEs. I think that says a lot about Hernandez because he chose to go to a school that basically ignored its TEs, and he became part of the offense.

My question is why he didn't name the coach. Why does a WR coach need to remain anonymous when evaluating a WR prospect who has already been drafted? Seriously, these comments were off the record? I don't mind having an agenda...but at least be a grown-up about it.

It is much more likely that this comment is at best an exaggeration. Any WR coach that made that evaluation and actually meant it would bring into question his evaluation skills. Bryant may be the 2nd coming of Jerry Rice, but none of his film against top teams would lead you in that direction.

One reason it's anonymous is because these are unsigned draft picks. I'm pretty sure no one would take too kindly to open evaluations of a player before he was signed. Once he's signed, he's fair game.

There's not way Bryant is better than Calvin Johnson. He'd be destroying this leauge if he had a decent QB.

OMG I'd give anything to have CJ on the Pats. Megatron is easily my fav. WR.

Now if only he had a QB to throw to him :D

Breer is starting to lose a lot of credibility in my eyes. He obviously has an agenda because 'his guys' didn't get picked by the Pats. It started with his attempt to dirty up Aaron Hernandez' image, and now its continuing with his public fellating of Bryant in order to discredit the McCourty selection. I hope this clown gets fired soon.

I'm really starting to hate the New England media, why do dirtbags like Borges, Thomase, and Breer still have jobs covering the Pats? All they do is complain, criticize, whine about, and write poor and inaccurate stories about the home team.

He's not the top, but he is top 3.

So was Braylon Edwards, so what's your point?

Last edited:
Breer is going overboard with his "disapointment" the Pats didn't draft Bryant. Sorry, I didn't want him and it had nothing to do with his off the field stuff. He may an incredibly gifted athlete, but word is for as great his physical skills are, his mental skills aren't there.

Funny in Breer's puff piece on Bryant today, he blew off his lack of conditioning in this week's minicamp as nothing and implying that all rumors of his problems were nothing more than backlash to him getting himself suspended. In fact the way Breer talked about the guy, you would think he was talking about Tim Tebow (I think Bryant may be a virgin too the way Breer talked about the guy). There was no references to the reports that they had to simplify the playbook for him at Oklahoma State, but Breer went out of his way to mention that when he went to Dallas he did a great job breaking down film with them (according to Cowboys personnel interviewed for the piece). Nor was there any mention of Bryant's relatively low Wonderlic score.

This is what I hate about journalism. This was a piece solely written to support his belief the Pats blew it by not drafting the guy without actually saying it. It is an "I told you so" piece that has no value than to bolster his own opinion.

Again, I think Bryant can be a superstar with Dallas, but the Dallas offense is a much simplier offense than the Pats' offense to make up for the fact that Romo doesn't have the greatest football intelligence or filmroom habits. That doesn't mean that Bryant would be any more successful than Joey Galloway, Donald Hayes, Doug Gabriel, or any other WR who failed here less because of their natural talents than their inability to pick up the Pats' complicated offense.

Reminds me of Hart Lee Dykes. Right down to the pigeon toes.

Calvin Johnson was the best WR prospect of all time, and it isn't close.

The combination of size, speed with no off the field issues just wasn't seen before

Hyperbole at its finest. 10 years is such an arbitrary number.

Breer is going overboard with his "disapointment" the Pats didn't draft Bryant. Sorry, I didn't want him and it had nothing to do with his off the field stuff. He may an incredibly gifted athlete, but word is for as great his physical skills are, his mental skills aren't there.

Funny in Breer's puff piece on Bryant today, he blew off his lack of conditioning in this week's minicamp as nothing and implying that all rumors of his problems were nothing more than backlash to him getting himself suspended. In fact the way Breer talked about the guy, you would think he was talking about Tim Tebow (I think Bryant may be a virgin too the way Breer talked about the guy). There was no references to the reports that they had to simplify the playbook for him at Oklahoma State, but Breer went out of his way to mention that when he went to Dallas he did a great job breaking down film with them (according to Cowboys personnel interviewed for the piece). Nor was there any mention of Bryant's relatively low Wonderlic score.

This is what I hate about journalism. This was a piece solely written to support his belief the Pats blew it by not drafting the guy without actually saying it. It is an "I told you so" piece that has no value than to bolster his own opinion.

Again, I think Bryant can be a superstar with Dallas, but the Dallas offense is a much simplier offense than the Pats' offense to make up for the fact that Romo doesn't have the greatest football intelligence or filmroom habits. That doesn't mean that Bryant would be any more successful than Joey Galloway, Donald Hayes, Doug Gabriel, or any other WR who failed here less because of their natural talents than their inability to pick up the Pats' complicated offense.

Breer is anti-Pats all the way, going so far as to pick the Pats 3rd in the AFC East in his predictions. Breer is on my official ignore list; the antithesis of homer.

I don't think it's that incredible.

Bryant was considered the best of the stud class of Big 12 receivers that year.

He's not the best of the last 10 years, and the Scout is only going by the tape, not his ability to know an offense, but if you're just going by the tape, only Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald were more dominant in the last 10 years. Maybe Peter Warrick but he was used differently. Not a classic WR.

I was referring to how many busts and character problems can be found on the list I gathered.

Calvin Johnson was the best WR prospect of all time, and it isn't close.

The combination of size, speed with no off the field issues just wasn't seen before

False, he didn't produce in college like Randy Moss or Larry Fitzgerald did. They were better prospects. Moss easily was the best prospect, he just had major off the field issues.

Coach Wade is on board : Per RW:

"Cowboys coach Wade Phillips stated Sunday that Dez Bryant is the most impressive rookie he's seen practice "in 33 years of coaching."

This is despite Bryant allegedly being out of shape. "Dez Bryant is an absolute talent, you don't see that many come in and look that good that early," Phillips said. "There's not very many that I can say look that talented at their position for a three-day period." It sounds like Bryant is going to play early, which is great news for Tony Romo and bad for Roy Williams.

For us though, like alot of talented guys, just not a lockerroom/system match, boy Chad Jackson is still having his negative impact.........

I guess we can all enjoy the weekly Dez Bryant highlights with Boomer and Tom Jackson and wonder what if ?........

Last edited:
I remember somebody wrote that when Pioli came back from Fitzgerald's on-campus workout, he said it was the best workout he had ever seen. Period. I doubt Dez Bryant is a better prospect. And that doesn't even take into account the fact that he needs someone to get him to practice on time and carry his shoes for him so he doesn't forget them. Perhaps this is a WR coach who doesn't watch much film of NFL prospects.

On a side note, this hoopla is not fair to the guy. He's being set up for a serious fall even if he becomes moderately successful. I don't think Jerry Jones did him any favors by giving him #88 and comparing hm to Michael Irvin. I think Dez will end up more like the last WR who wore #88 for the Cowboys. Ironically, also named Bryant - Antonio.

I remember somebody wrote that when Pioli came back from Fitzgerald's on-campus workout, he said it was the best workout he had ever seen. Period. I doubt Dez Bryant is a better prospect. And that doesn't even take into account the fact that he needs someone to get him to practice on time and carry his shoes for him so he doesn't forget them. Perhaps this is a WR coach who doesn't watch much film of NFL prospects.

On a side note, this hoopla is not fair to the guy. He's being set up for a serious fall even if he becomes moderately successful. I don't think Jerry Jones did him any favors by giving him #88 and comparing hm to Michael Irvin. I think Dez will end up more like the last WR who wore #88 for the Cowboys. Ironically, also named Bryant - Antonio.

Those "best" workouts are always against non-NFL DB's or on an empty field. I always like to say, wait until they put the pads on in a full-contact scrimmage before judging.

Coach Wade is on board : Per RW:

"Cowboys coach Wade Phillips stated Sunday that Dez Bryant is the most impressive rookie he's seen practice "in 33 years of coaching."

This is despite Bryant allegedly being out of shape. "Dez Bryant is an absolute talent, you don't see that many come in and look that good that early," Phillips said. "There's not very many that I can say look that talented at their position for a three-day period." It sounds like Bryant is going to play early, which is great news for Tony Romo and bad for Roy Williams.

For us though, like alot of talented guys, just not a lockerroom/system match, boy Chad Jackson is still having his negative impact.........

I guess we can all enjoy the weekly Dez Bryant highlights with Boomer and Tom Jackson and wonder what if ?........

Interesting you would bring up Chad Jackson because I see a lot of simliarities with Bryant. Not with talent, but both were not the smartest guys in the bunch and like Jackson, I doubt Bryant would pick up the Pats' playbook.

As I always said though, you can tell everything you can know about a player and his career based on a few minicamp practices. Remember back in 2006 when everyone was gushing over Chad Jackson's minicamp performce. The guy caught everything thrown at him. And four years later, Jackson is already a lock for the HOF. Talk about putting a lot od stock in nothing.

Last edited:
Those "best" workouts are always against non-NFL DB's or on an empty field. I always like to say, wait until they put the pads on in a full-contact scrimmage before judging.

If you're a betting man, tell me, do you think Dez Bryant is going to be an NFL star ? Yes or No, no what if's or anything else. Do you think Dez Bryant is going to have a major impact on that Cowboy team yes or no ?

If you're a betting man, tell me, do you think Dez Bryant is going to be an NFL star ? Yes or No, no what if's or anything else. Do you think Dez Bryant is going to have a major impact on that Cowboy team yes or no ?

What does it matter whether he is great for the Cowboys? They have a simlier offense to learn because theit QB is a talented moron. Again, Bryant could end up being a HOFer in the Cowboys offense and it doesn't mean he would be half the player with the Pats. No matter how talented the guy is, he is not going to perform if his presnap read tells him to cut in and he cuts out because he misreads the read.

I have absolutely no idea.

However, I could take indicators, such as his background (unstable), his football smarts (low), his dedication (low- was not in condition) and make a projection on that. But sometimes players wise up, sometimes they don't. There are so many mitigating factors.

But based on the above, I would shy away from trying to fit Bryant into the Patriots system. As for the Cowboys- he has a legitimate shot, as good as anyone else because Romo isn't also known for his football smarts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye