Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: BRADY or PAPI....

Discussion in 'Red Sox Fan Forum' started by NENGFAN, Oct 31, 2013.

1. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

Boston sports trinity since 1980, perhaps. Otherwise, Bill Russell, Ted Williams and Bobby Orr come immediately to mind (all of whom were before my time).

2. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +432 / 8 / -4

Brady -- one of the greatest ever at his position, at the most important position on the field

(and secondarily, while the teams both have 3 championships, the Pats have been a dominant team for more than a decade now in an era that is clearly understood as Brady / Belichick. During the same period, other players have been as important to the Sox as Ortiz at times, and the club's performance has been good but not dominant.)

3. BSR

BSR In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -1

In that mid century group you could probably include Marciano in that group given that boxing was probably more popular than either Basketball or Hockey at that time.

In the early century group you have Babe Ruth, Cy Young and Eddie Shore.

4. Steve:Section 102

Steve:Section 102 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I would go so far as to say the 2001 Pats forced the Red Sox hand into fighting to be a true player for championships. Hear me out... Until that time, fans were happy going to the games, getting somewhat deep into the playoffs, and then complaining about not winning. The 01 Pats changed the rules. No longer would "close enough" be good enough. If the Red Sox continued to be what they had been of a hundred years, they were in danger of being second fiddle to the NFL and the Pats. That's a pretty hard pill to swallow.

In my mind, if 2001 doesn't come about, '04 never happens. Just one man's opinion.

5. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,659 / 19 / -7

#87 Jersey

I don't believe for a second that teams magically transform themselves into championship competitors in direct response to town success/rivalry. Teams turn into championship caliber teams owing to a number of factors.