PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Bills promote 70-year old scout to GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Buffalo Bills name Buddy Nix general manager - ESPN

Well, the Pats won't have to worry about the Bills in this division for another few years. First Marv Levy (now 84), then Russ Brandon, now Buddy Nix. At 91, Ralph Wilson might be beginning to show his age...

Nix retired as the Chargers' assistant GM in 2008.

Last edited:

Well, the Pats won't have to worry about the Bills in this division for another few years. First Marv Levy, then Russ Brandon, now Buddy Nix. At 91, Ralph Wilson might be beginning to show his age...

i don't see how age itself disqualifies him, if that's the implication.

I guess hes not inexperianced, besides todays 70 is like yesterdays 60. :p At least i hope so.

Last edited:

You're right, Ralph may not even be around to see his success or (more than likely) failure.

Maybe the Pats should have made Bucko Kilroy GM again before he passed. Larry Cook (70-year old scouting consultant, former director of college scouting under Carroll) is still with the team, but I'm sure as hell he wasn't a candidate to replace Pioli.

Last edited:
And I hear that Mr Wilson calls him the Kid :)
Nothing wrong with experience and wisdom but some of these guys need to retire.

This is Ralph Wilson's youth movement.

Agreed, age shouldn't disqualify him.

However, the fact that he already works for the Bills should have disqualified him. It's obvious that organization is clueless. But good for us.

You're right, Ralph may not even be around to see his success or (more than likely) failure.

Maybe the Pats should have made Bucko Kilroy GM again before he passed. Larry Cook (70-year old scouting consultant, former director of college scouting under Carroll) is still with the team, but I'm sure as hell he wasn't a candidate to replace Pioli.

There are enough 30 and 40 year old ****-ups in management around the NFL that we shouldn't be taking gratuitous shots at older guys just because of their age.

There are enough 30 and 40 year old ****-ups in management around the NFL that we shouldn't be taking gratuitous shots at older guys just because of their age.

Really? Name some.

Really? Name some.

Dan Snyder and Eric Mangini to name two off the top of my head. Snyder wasn't a **** up outside the NFL, but he's sure made a hash of that team's roster and he's 44. Mangini rose to the level of his incompetence. Mike Tannenbaum brought in Favre and bet the farm on the Sanchize. If you want to blame that on Woody Johnson, well he just turned 50 a couple of years ago. I could probably walk down the management floor in Cleveland, Detroit and Oakland and not need a fancy MBA to fire half of them; alphabetically or every other office would probably be as good a way as any to do it (facetious).

Whether you agree or disagree on those, my point about using age as a criterion to ding someone stands. George Soros is 79, travels the world, works long hours and made a billion dollars for himself last year. Warren Buffett at 79 didn't do too bad either. Let's just criticize performance not demographics.

Dan Snyder and Eric Mangini to name two off the top of my head. Snyder wasn't a **** up outside the NFL, but he's sure made a hash of that team's roster and he's 44. Mangini rose to the level of his incompetence. Mike Tannenbaum brought in Favre and bet the farm on the Sanchize. If you want to blame that on Woody Johnson, well he just turned 50 a couple of years ago. I could probably walk down the management floor in Cleveland, Detroit and Oakland and not need a fancy MBA to fire half of them; alphabetically or every other office would probably be as good a way as any to do it (facetious).

Whether you agree or disagree on those, my point about using age as a criterion to ding someone stands. George Soros is 79, travels the world, works long hours and made a billion dollars for himself last year. Warren Buffett at 79 didn't do too bad either. Let's just criticize performance not demographics.

You forgot Josh "on the cusp of missing the playoffs dispite a 6-0 start" McD.

Well, the Pats won't have to worry about the Bills in this division for another few years. First Marv Levy (now 84), then Russ Brandon, now Buddy Nix. At 91, Ralph Wilson might be beginning to show his age...

Ralph Wilson showed his age last CBA time. As long as he wants to recycle geezers through the organization, that's fine with me. Hope they sign Chuck Knox to coach.

Ralph Wilson showed his age last CBA time. As long as he wants to recycle geezers through the organization, that's fine with me. Hope they sign Chuck Knox to coach.

Maybe Marty will come back for another tour.

You forgot Josh "on the cusp of missing the playoffs dispite a 6-0 start" McD.

I think, for a first-year head coach, McDaniels hasn't done too badly. He just got extremely lucky at the start of the season, and his team has been inconsistent as of late. He should have maybe waited a few more years before taking a HC job, but I don't really believe he belongs in the same club of virtuoso displays of incompetence of which Eric Mangini appears to be the NFL chapter president.

Last edited:

I don't know that guy out in SD knows something about players. If he work hand and hand with Mr. Smith I'm sure he's a pretty smart cookie. Age only matters if your trying to get wood!

Bills' decision to hire Nix draws criticism | ProFootballTalk.com

Regardless of whether Brandon nudged the process toward Nix or Guy in order to preserve Brandon's turf, one league insider expressed strong opinions regarding the decision to go with Nix.

"The Buffalo hire is a joke and a slap in the face to all hard working people in the NFL," the source said. "The Bills have not been to the playoffs in over 10 years and that run will continue for years to come. The owner has made three hires in a row that shows he only cares about mediocrity.

"Four years ago he brings back Marv Levy, who was in his 80's. That didn't work. Two years ago he elevates his marketing director to G.M. and COO and again it doesn't work, and now he elevates a 70-year-old scout to a position that requires work and energy. . . .

"The eight years he spent in San Diego he had the titles Director of College Scouting, Director of Player Personnel, and Assistant G.M. yet he never lived in San Diego. He lived somewhere in Tennessee. . . . Someone who lives in another city is away from the day-to-day operations.

"Bills fans can rest assured that, a year from now, two years from now, and three and four years from now, the team will still be in last place in the AFC East. The Jets, Patriots, and Dolphins continue to make moves to get better while the Bills just tread water. There are good people who were very interested in that job, like Dave Gettelman, Scott Studwell and Doug Whaley that never got a chance. All those guys could have helped that team. The best hope for Bills fans is that the owner decides to sell the team and then someone who cares about winning takes over and brings in qualified people."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye