Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: "BIG BEN" the real system QB?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by DaBruinz, Feb 5, 2006.

1. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +945 / 66 / -54

#50 Jersey

Anyone else thing that Big Ben is more of a "system QB" than Brady?

The Pittsburgh offense still protects him significantly.

2. SVN

SVN Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +1,605 / 13 / -10

i think every QB is a system QB IMHO. even montana was a system qb and so is ben and so is brady.

3. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +945 / 66 / -54

#50 Jersey

SVN -
    Umm.. you missed the point. Brady is tabbed as a "System QB" by detractors. They say that you could take any QB and have put them on the Patriots and the Patriots still would have won 3 SBs. Patriots fans laugh at this.

I honeslty believe that is more so, the case with the Pittsburgh offense than the Patriots offense.

However, that being said, Yes, every QB is a system QB.

4. SVN

SVN Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +1,605 / 13 / -10

thats what i meant. People who call Brady a System QB are as mistaken as calling anyone else a system QB . in my opinion there is no such thing or all qb's are system qbs .

5. Gumby

Gumby 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +83 / 1 / -1

#11 Jersey

If you want to define 'system qb' as a guy who plays within a scheme; then you cant have anybody who isn't a system qb.

(you could maybe then make a mild case for Favre and Vick and Flutie who just made things happen when plays broke down.)

I think for those making the "system QB" accusation you have a couple of characteristics (# 1 & 5 being the most important):

1. Not the predominant part of offense (i.e. not asked to carry load - runnng game is at least 50% of plays if not much more)
    2. QB is not making high risk throws - minimal deep balls
    3. qb is primarily pocket passer; not much of a running threat
    4. Qb is more asked to not throw ints than make passes.
    5. QB is not capable of being more/better and coaches game plan is dumbed down to not ask too much of him.

In Brady's first 2 years of starting; a lot of those accusations could have some traction. I think we know now, more based on the talent that was around him; than any reflection on Brady himself. I have not heard too many still making these accusations about Brady anymore; just a couple whack troll posters.

Rothlisberger I think last year was definitely a system QB. Because of his rookie status they had to keep it simple and game plan around him.

I think Rothlisberger has the potential to be the next Brady. I can see a future where Ben and Tom are competeing like Marino and Elway did for so many years. Is he there yet; NO. I think he is on the cusp of proving he is no system QB. But even if Squeelers win today; I think it is still an unproven quantity.

Until he has to carry a Steelers team that has no Defense (like Tom has had to do) will he be able to claim not to be just a system Qb. Until he puts the team on his back down by 14 halfway through the 3rd quarter a couple of times; I dont see him as having won his spurs and graduated beyond the 'system qb' label.

In short I think the key point is item 5 above. Rothliberger has way too much potential and too much youth for you to believe he cant grow into something more than a guy they have to game plan around negatively; but can plan around positively.