PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Bettis' father, 61, dies of heart attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...TTIS?SITE=LAMON&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Nov 28, 6:30 PM EST
Bettis' Father Dies of Heart Attack

WEST BLOOMFIELD TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) -- Johnnie Bettis, the father of retired NFL running back Jerome Bettis, died Tuesday at a suburban Detroit hospital, police said.

Johnnie Bettis, 61, of Detroit, apparently suffered a heart attack while driving in a suburb north of the city, police Lt. Carl Fuhs said.

Bettis managed to pull his sport utility vehicle off the road and bring it to a stop. Another motorist stopped and administered CPR, and a passing nurse and physician also stopped to help, Fuhs said.

Bettis was taken to Huron Valley Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 12:58 p.m., hospital spokeswoman Annessa Carlisle said. She said she did not know the cause of death or whether an autopsy would be performed.

Fuhs said he notified Jerome Bettis' wife that the player's father had died. Family members were arriving at the hospital Tuesday evening, Carlisle said.

Last edited:
thats a shame..when he was playing..we saw their parents each game..his mom was very energetic i believe..his dad was there too. RIP. condolences to the Bettis family and friends

This sucks.Johnnie and Gladys Bettis were/are good folks,I know they did attend many of Jeromes game there in Pittsburgh.RIP Mr.Bettis.My thought and prayers go out to Jerome,as he has and always be since his punishing days at Notre Dame,one of my all time fav players.

Last year I took my kids to Disney, and because they are still young we went to Main St. and got ready for the daily parade. I had forgotten all about the Superbowl which had just been played. Well, there was Bettis at the end of the parade followed by his parents in the car behind him. That must have been a great feeling for them. Glad his dad got to enjoy that. BTW, Emmitt Smith was also in one of the last cars. Don't know if that is tradition or what.

So glad the dad got to see his son win a Super Bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back