PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT better win in 2004 playoffs..colts or steelers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tough choice. Two of the best defensive(colts) and offensive(steelers) performances in franchise history

That 2004 team might have been the best team in franchise history. They peaked at the right time and dominated the best offense and best defense in the league

Tough choice indeed. In the Indy game, the Pats defense made P6's happy feet look like they were doing a Mexican hat dance. In the Pittsburgh game, Cowher went conservative by not going for a 4th and short down 14 early in the 4th quarter and took his own crowd and team right out of the game.

I think I might go with the Pittsburgh win because it was on the road.

I'm gonna have to go Colts on this one. No one picked us to shut down that Indy offense, plus Pittsburgh has never beaten New England in the playoffs (except in 1997)

The game against Pittsburgh was epic, i remember when Cowher kicked a field goal instead of going for a 4th late in the 4th, that was the moment when i started the celebration.

The game against Pittsburgh was epic, i remember when Cowher kicked a field goal instead of going for a 4th late in the 4th, that was the moment when i started the celebration.
No balls. Cowher was a bit overrated. Good coach but not great.

BTW:

According to Behind the Steeler Curtain that was the #3 worst loss ... we also lay claim to #5. :cool::cool::cool:

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/for...Playoff-Losses-In-Pittsburgh-Steelers-History
Will never forget that game either. I remember the blocked FG and Troy latarelling to Harris who strutted into the endzone. I was pretty much losing it at that point. At that point it was a feeling of "Holy ****...is it happening...is this our year?"

That post season run is a prime example of the importance of special teams. We were a good ST unit this past year as well. Several blocked FGs/Punts, great PRs, solid kick/punt coverage. And we've had two of the best kickers in recent history over the course of the Belichick era.

Last edited:
Would have to go with Steelers

Hard to choose, the Pats dominated both games. I'll go with the Colts game since those clowns were selling AFC Champions gear on their website before the game (even though it was still the Divisional round) and it got out publicly they had contacted the Steelers about seating for the AFC title game.

This also occurred immediately after the game:

Last edited:
Steelers, best record, on the road... Colts was very satisfying but I knew the pats would stomp those pansies. That long td to Branch in Pitt to shut them up and then his end around to close them out.. Both music to my ears. One of my favorite wins.

Agree 100%. You knew the Patriots would blow the soft Colts and their indoor QB out in the cold. Can't remember what BS excuse-gate the ****y Colts had that year after Pats punched them in the chin (as usual).

Best part about the Branch end around in the AFCCG was when 3/4 of the way through the play, just before he crossed the EZ, he turned arount to Troy P and the rest of the Squeeler D and waived a phantom terrible towel.

Pure Patriot domination. Priceles$!

Last edited:
enhanced-25942-1427414324-7.jpg

Colts.

They were coming in on a high demolishing the Chiefs (I think) week before. And I just remember the kicker Vanderjack, just running his mouth to the media, saying crap like the Pats were "ripe for the picking" which leads to Rodney calling him Vanderjerk. I loved keeping Peyton out of the EZ, plus who remembers Bruschi out muscling the RB for the ball? Plus that Dillon run that should have been a TD.

After that win, you knew we were winning it all.

They were both outstanding cant even pick one. Definitely our two best playoff performances considering the level of dificulty combined with dominance. They show why the 04 team was our best version they truly answered the bell when it rang loudest.

It's the Steelers.

Not only was that team 15-1 in the regular season, but they had the consensus #1 defense in the league that year (points and yards).

Holding the 12-4 Colts to 3 points was impressive, but there was a bit of snow, and it was Peyton Manning in the playoffs. Their defense was especially leaky that year, but they showed up in that game, foiling the Patriots in the red zone multiple times. That game could have easily been 40-3.

Steelers all day. That was on the road and the stakes were much higher. The Steelers also had a better record than the Colts and looked to be the team of destiny that year.

VS Steelers. I believe Steelers were already making SB reservations before even playing Pats AFCCG. Well we all know how that played out. TOTAL Domination there. Best was Branch on an end around for a late TD waving to fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes