Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: Best food in Boston?

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by lander, Jun 19, 2008.

1. lander

lander Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi guys,

I know this thread should have been posted in an OT forum, but I really wanted a good response so I hope it's cool.

I live in San Diego and I'm visiting Boston for the second time. I spent a week there in 2006 and really, really enjoyed the city, including two games on the field at Fenway. Can't wait to go again!

Anyway I'm bringing the old lady this time and we love food (and drink). I would really appreciate any recommendations for not-to-be-missed places. Lower-budget preferred but not mandatory. If I can ever return the favor let me know.

Thanks, and I'll see you in the football threads. I'm really looking forward to our next battle on the field. May the best team win!
  2. Patslifer

Patslifer Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Croma - Newbury street - Fantastic drinks, and out of this world cappolini scampi

Teatro - Tremont street - My personel favorite! Unreal drinks, and great food

28 degrees - South End

Rocca - South End

Cibling Rivalry - South end - Different and trendy. Two brother battle with the same ingrediants on a menu that changes daily

Bricco - North end ( expenisve, but impressive. The north end is Bostons little Italy.) This is your high end Italian joint

Florentine - North end

Match - Mass Ave - Awesome drinks + Mini burgers

The Hill Tavern - Beacon Hill

Now for the big boy. If you want to treat your wife to something special, and you want to spend a little cash, take her to KO PRIME in the NINEZERO hotel - on Tremont. Ultra exclusive steak house, with AMAZING steaks. Aside from STK - (in NYC), it's the best steak house I have ever been to. Trust me, its worth every cent.

I woulden't consider any of these places lower expensive - ( aside from KO PRIME and Bricco), but I don't know what you consider expensive. I think all this places will be worth your investment, and fall in the realm of what you are talking about. Highlighted = some of Bostons best for a decent price point.

If you are touring the city you must see :

The Commons / park
    Newbury Street
    The North End
    Beacon Hill

Pm me with more questions, I live in Boston.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  3. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Everyone in Boston goes to Cheers, it's the greatest.:rolleyes:
  4. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I go to a little spot in Foxboro once a year where they serve the most brilliant Dolphin, shipped straight from Miami as a matter of fact.
  5. bbabin

bbabin Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

For a classic pizzaria, with what I think is the best Italian thin crust ever, try Regina's in the North End.
  6. jbb9s

jbb9s Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

lander don't go here. usually when you jump in a cab and ask to go to Cheers, they take you for a ride.
  7. Patslifer

Patslifer Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Good pizza, but I think Artu has the best pizza in the north end! Although I live in the North End, so Its preferance really.
  8. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +73 / 1 / -1

I'm sure you're gonna get a lot of advice here and I'll leave the budget to your decision, but if I were coming 3,000 miles to the Hub, these are the Restaurants I would want to consider. These are just personal choices, so others might have different experiences of them.

My favorite "guy food": Grill 23 for a good martin and a steak or seafood and a fabulous wine list.

My favorite "hoity toity" food: L'Espalier. I came back for a visit with my wife a few years back and we both agreed our dinner that night was one of the best we had ever had, anywhere. I've been going there since the early '80s.

My favorite Bistro-type place thing whatever: Hamersley's Bistro. I had my first meal there a couple of weeks after it opened 20 years ago and it hasn't disappointed since.

My favorite realiable but crazed: Legal.

My favorite Mexican: Forest Cafe in Cambridge, but this memory might be clouded by the girl I used to take there and the margaritas, so you might want to stick with the more heralded Casa Romero in the Back Bay.

My favorite Cambridge, but probably overrated these days: Harvest.

Best Late Night: Scorpion Bowls at the Hong Kong in Harvard Square

Best Food with Abuse: Durgin Park

Best Long Lunch with a couple of beers: Union Oyster House

I take exception with the suggestion of "Cheers": it used to be a great bar, when it was just The Bull and Finch and you could go there for a drink and maybe get lucky on Friday night or for a Hamburger on Sunday night (and maybe get lucky...that seems to be a theme here), and the restaurant upstairs used to be OK when it was just the Hampshire House (aka Melville's to Cheers fans) but it's been wrecked now.

I'm sure that there are folks on this board who are more current than I am on this stuff, but these are the places that make me nostalgic for Boston and Cambridge.
  9. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

haha I was actually referring to the thread on the Chargers board bragging about how they "took over" Cheers, the ultimate "Boston bar."
  10. PatsFanSince74

Ratings:
    +73 / 1 / -1

Good one. That's kind of like taking over Key West and thinking you've conquered the United States. I lived on Beacon Hill when the TV Show started getting popular and we all stopped going there. Believe it or not, it was once a great bar, sort of like the one in the Show, come to think of it. Now it's tourist town.
  11. Wotan_the_Wanderer

Wotan_the_Wanderer Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

First, since you're from SD, there's really no need to go to a Mexican joint in Boston. For the most part, it's not a good here so you're not missing much.

Very pricey:
    -Aujourd'hui at the Four Season on Boston Common. Top notch, world class and one of the best in town.

Somewhat pricey:
    -Hamersley's in the South End (a local legend)
    -Dali's near Harvard (best sangria and tappas in town)
    -Dom's in the North End (Boston's little Italy)
    -Olive's in Charlestown (Todd English's place)
    -Blue Ginger in Wellesley (Ming Tsai's place)
    -Lumiere in West Newton
    -Oleana between Kendall and Inman Squares, Cambridge
    -Sonsei on Newbury St. I personally don't think the food's great here, but it's where the "beautiful people" can be seen including some Patriots.

Moderately priced:
    -Petit Robert near Fenway Park
    -Red Bones in Davis Square, Somerville (BBQ)
    -many lobster pounds and clam shacks near the wharf and piers
    -Artu's in the North End
    -Villa Francesca in the North End (there are so many decent to good restaurants here at reasonable prices but Villa Francesca isn't the cheapest nor the most expensive)

Cheap:

-Chinatown. A buddy of mine just saw Michael Douglas there. I forget which restaurant though. But East Ocean, Grand Chow Chow, Taiwan Cafe (best dumplings in town but you have to order well in advance because it take 20 mintes to cook them) are the safest bets and so is the Malasian place in Chinatown called "Penang."
    -Moqueca near Inman Sq., Cambridge. A small, hole in the wall with the best Brazilian stews.
    -Zon's in West Roxbury. Great comfort food with a twist.
    -Pizzaria Regina in the North End. Good pizzas but more a legend worth checking out. Expect to wait in line.
    -Mr. Bartley's Burger Cottage, Harvard Sq.

I'm sure I've forgotten so many great eateries and have deliberately left out the more "exotic" joints given I don't know your tastes. As you can see, there are plenty of great places to eat in Boston and the HUB. Enjoy your stay.
  12. Wotan_the_Wanderer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Forgot to add...expect to see an autographed picture of Larry Bird in EVERY restaurant or ice cream place you go to.
  13. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

how about the best Thai food restaurant?
  14. lander

lander Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks guys!

Last time I was here I went to MJ O'Connor's and Seven's. I ate at the Parish Cafe and the Barking Crab.
  15. Frezo

Frezo Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#50 Jersey

If you want something completely different try the Medieval Manor. It's a complete medievil setting right down to eating with your hands. We had a company dinner there years ago and it was a blast.

http://www.masshotspots.com/content/view/20/14/
  16. Wotan_the_Wanderer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Prior to one my trips to LA's Thaitown, the dirt cheap restaurant with great food and the Thai Elvis impersonator, I used to go to Dok Bua in Brookline, Erawan in Waltham and Amarin in Newton. After my trip to LA's Thaitown, the dirt cheap restaurant with great food and the Thai Elvis impersonator, I stopped eating Thai food here.
  17. lander

lander Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We have lots of great Thai food right outside our front door so we'll probably pass on that.
  18. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

On the menu they also have bison imported from western New York and occasionally (every few years or so) some horse meat that they get from Indiana.............
  19. PatsFanSince74

Ratings:
    +73 / 1 / -1

they also serve exotic fare every now and then. Buffalo meat and Jaguar are among my regular faves. A coupla years ago they whopped up some Bear meat, if I'm not mistaken.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  20. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I like "Toms tavern" in Wrentham