PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT:Bears say NO to Redskins trade offer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. Seemed like a good deal to me. It reminds me of how Holmgren is going around saying "if Deion Branch were in the draft we'd be happy to get him at #24". Well, yeah, but we also got Stallworth for about the same (if we pick up the option) money plus the #24 pick.

Having a mild case of respect for the da Bears, I'm not surprised they turned down #6. Just because Briggs is whining doesn't mean a deal can't be struck with him yet. $6 (I serendipitously hit the dollar sign vice the # sign here) is a pricey place to pick. It would give the Bears a shot at LT candidate Levi Brown, but they still have a shot at Staley or Ugoh if they sit tight, and there are some guys in later rounds who will be decent NFL LTs too.

PFT Talk states that Redskins *Read Surprise* were giving him a contract 20M guaranteed.

Whose there qb again? Theismann may make a run out of retirement. ;)

A franchised player who wants out is worth a low first.

Two low firsts are worth less than a #6.

If the deal was as rumored -- which is a big if -- the Bears should probably have taken it. If they didn't want to use a pick that high they could always trade down.

There's a bigger picture at work here too. The deal seems reasonable enough to me given the circumstances, but Briggs is behaving like a total clown on this one : shooting his mouth off and holding the team to ransom. (The team that's offering him $7m to play next year). And the Bears response may bear some similarity to the way western governments (Italy apart) deal with terrorists: we don't speak to them because we won't set a precedent.

There's a bigger picture at work here too. The deal seems reasonable enough to me given the circumstances, but Briggs is behaving like a total clown on this one : shooting his mouth off and holding the team to ransom. (The team that's offering him $7m to play next year). And the Bears response may bear some similarity to the way western governments (Italy apart) deal with terrorists: we don't speak to them because we won't set a precedent.

That makes sense. Maybe they don't want to appear "bullied" by Briggs demands. However in the big picture if they sit down and look at it, this is probably the best deal/solution they can get at this point in time. They would be ripping off the Redskins imo.

The crazy thing is, if they had traded down it would've been a no lose situation, they would have been in the position to select Russel, Quinn, Peterson, or Landry.

The crazy thing is, if they had traded down it would've been a no lose situation, they would have been in the position to select Russel, Quinn, Peterson, or Landry.

That's what I don't get. They could easily pick up some additional high round draft picks by trading No. 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back