PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Bears release Ricky Manning, Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Briz - Get real, would you. I was comparing regular seasons. But you don't give a care about that because it flies in the face of your love for a guy who just isn't that good.

Manning could have shined in Carolina. What happened? He started the 2004 season and then got relegated back to the Nickle position. Do you know why? Because they didn't feel he was that good.

Do you know why the Bears went with McBride instead of a seasoned veteran after Vasher went down? Because Manning proved to them he wasn't capable of being the every day starter.

i was just pointing out he had 5 big picks in the playoffs which you -do- have to factor into performance. No need to get upset DB. :D

Manning has produced better in his career than Bryant and he is younger, Bryant may have more passes defended but he cant get his hands on the ball to make big plays and turnovers. Asante got us alot of turnovers, i think Manning would get us more than Bryant and be a solid player for us imo.

Last edited:
Briz - you are getting to be like Braniac when you just talk and ignore the facts, yet say stuff that actually supports what the other person is saying...Why did Ricky Manning have a bad relationship with the front office? Because he's not talented, he's a loud mouth, and he has character issues as primetime mentioned.

When they went with McBride Manning basically blew up on the coaches and regretted doing it. He was probably cut for just that reason.

When they went with McBride Manning basically blew up on the coaches and regretted doing it. He was probably cut for just that reason.

What if Wheatley turns out to be great and they replaced Manning as the starter with him? How well do you think him blowing up at Belichick or Capers or Pees would go over?

What if Wheatley turns out to be great and they replaced Manning as the starter with him? How well do you think him blowing up at Belichick or Capers or Pees would go over?

dont you know? players behave on the pats. :)

no but seriously so what then we get rid of him. Big deal, as long as you dont sign him to a stupid contract. Do you really want scrub Bryant starting who cant get his hands on the ball to save his life, or a inexperienced rookie who may have to be thrown in the fire, or an experienced CB that can step in right away and play at a higher level than what we got now?

Right now id rather have:

RCB Hobbs
LCB Manning
NCB Wheatley

than

RCB Hobbs
LCB Bryant
NCB Wheatley

no but seriously so what then we get rid of him. Big deal, as long as you dont sign him to a stupid contract. Do you really want scrub Bryant starting who cant get his hands on the ball to save his life, or a inexperienced rookie who may have to be thrown in the fire, or an experienced CB that can step in right away and play at a higher level than what we got now?

RCB Hobbs
LCB Manning
NCB Wheatley

than

RCB Hobbs
LCB Bryant
NCB Wheatley

Bryant has been a starter his whole career. Manning lost starting jobs on 2 separate teams. If either is a 'scrub', the odds are that it's Manning.

RCB Hobbs
LCB Manning
NCB Wheatley

than

RCB Hobbs
LCB Bryant
NCB Wheatley

See BRiz, I think Wheatley has already played himself into a starting spot, he might start out as a nickel because that's the norm with rookie CB's drafted 33 or lower, but I think the coaches will learn soon enough who the starter and nickel CBs should be (like after game 2).

Last edited by a moderator:

RCB Hobbs
LCB Manning
NCB Wheatley

than

RCB Hobbs
LCB Bryant
NCB Wheatley

I'd rather have Group B and take the career starter who has been penciled in to start since his signing over a nickel corner who just got cut.

See BRiz, I think Wheatley has already played himself into a starting spot, he might start out as a nickel because that's the norm with rookie CB's drafted 33 or lower, but I think the coaches will learn soon enough who the starter and nickel CBs should be (like after game 2).

i agree with you Wheatley has looked good and i think he certainly is capable of starting. The only thing he doesnt have is experience.

Yes, he was. He was on the 53-man roster for the 2004 season Superbowl. He just wasn't one of the 45 men activated, which is what your link shows.

I don't remember if Omare Lowe was on the team for the playoffs that year. I believe he was, though. Again, not activated for the big game.

And, of course, the immortal Hank Poteat DID play in a superbowl for the Pats.

Bryant has been a starter his whole career. Manning lost starting jobs on 2 separate teams. If either is a 'scrub', the odds are that it's Manning.
You're wasting your time posting facts in this "discussion." The people who should be reading them aren't interested in facts.

You're wasting your time posting facts in this "discussion." The people who should be reading them aren't interested in facts.

Well, that's been the case for most of this offseason.

Yeah, usually legit starting CBs get cut in the first round of cuts.

You guys are acting like smoking weed once in awhile is equivalent to a random act of violence in which he beat the crap out of some guy without any provocation. There's different levels of character concerns. Manning's an *******, and he isn't any good as a cornerback, either.

He was the 3rd CB for Chiacago since they have Vasher and Tillman until this preseason when he was demoted. I think he has a right to be upset because the guys replacing him are not really as good as he is at this point and haven't accomplished as much either. He should have kept his mouth shut and played through it and I'm sure things would have turned around. He did apologize for what he said: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-30-bears-bits-chicagojul30,0,2160626.story

I think he's been a pretty good player in this league, now whether he is on the upswing or downswing is a matter for BB and Pioli to decide. I bet he will produce wherever his next spot may be because he is a great competitor who will try to prove the Bears wrong. Although Manning is short at 5'9", he is strong and really athletic. He has great speed and burst/quickness which is obviously very important for a CB. He also has great closing skills as evidenced by his int totals in his career and is very versatile, a BB favorite, as he is comfortable in man coverage and in nickel. He also has great instincts and despite his public image he is extremely smart and reads routes well to make plays on the ball. He is solid against the run and is a solid tackler. He does take chances to make ints and he can get burned at times when doing that, he is also susceptible to play fakes and double moves because of his aggressiveness. Reminds me of Terrell Buckley but better in run support. I think Manning is a solid and quality football player who could start but is better suited as a nickel CB. He is definitely not washed up.

His production has gone on a decline the past few years, and now the Bears make him part of their cuts. The funny thing is I was looking at his player page just yesterday and wondered what happened to the Ricky Manning that racked up those picks in the playoffs a few seasons back...

I'll say that maybe he could be worth a shot at or around minimum salary, and if he in any way proves the Bears correct you simply cut him. I'm personally fine with Hobbs, Bryant, and Wheatley, but maybe Manning could upgrade the Patriots 4th or 5th CB spot initially, and get a chance to prove he can still be among the top 3.

Really, the same could be said about Ty Law. The difference here is that Ty already knows the system and at his prime was among the league's elite CB's, but has more years on his body. I wouldn't want to initially count on him as a starting CB either, but maybe he could be the third or fourth CB out of the gate, and also help out at FS (depending on Meriweather's injury status). He'll probably take more money to play for some cellar dweller that's not currently even on his short list though.

Last edited:
What a disgusting human being.
What really pisses me off is decent guys like Ricky Williams get suspended for entire seasons just for smoking freakin' weed. This guy got suspended for one game after beating the crap out of some poor guy who was minding his own business. And for no reason. What a disgusting *******.

This says a lot about the NFL--and our society's--****ed up perception of morality.

Well, that's been the case for most of this offseason.

You got that right...I cannot remember seeing such a bunch of "sky ha fallen" folks since back in the days when Pete Carroll's teams were always out muscled and beaten by teams, just when it mattered the most - after Thanksgiving.

Why have all these former positive, appreciative and ahem - loyal fans, become so negative??

You got that right...I cannot remember seeing such a bunch of "sky ha fallen" folks since back in the days when Pete Carroll's teams were always out muscled and beaten by teams, just when it mattered the most - after Thanksgiving.

Why have all these former positive, appreciative and ahem - loyal fans, become so negative??

I hate to say it but I agree.

His production has gone on a decline the past few years, and now the Bears make him part of their cuts. The funny thing is I was looking at his player page just yesterday and wondered what happened to the Ricky Manning that racked up those picks in the playoffs a few seasons back...

I'll say that maybe he could be worth a shot at or around minimum salary, and if he in any way proves the Bears correct you simply cut him. I'm personally fine with Hobbs, Bryant, and Wheatley, but maybe Manning could upgrade the Patriots 4th or 5th CB spot initially, and get a chance to prove he can still be among the top 3.

Really, the same could be said about Ty Law. The difference here is that Ty already knows the system and at his prime was among the league's elite CB's, but has more years on his body. I wouldn't want to initially count on him as a starting CB either, but maybe he could be the third or fourth CB out of the gate, and also help out at FS (depending on Meriweather's injury status). He'll probably take more money to play for some cellar dweller that's not currently even on his short list though.

yea the year we played Carolina in the SB in 03 Manning had 3 INTs in the NFC championship game against the Eagles. He also had an INT in the divisional round against the Rams that went into double OT. That was pretty nice.

I think you cant really look at his numbers from last season because he didnt get the same playing time and was moved to nickle where you cant rack up stats like a starter. Anyways he admitted he had a down year, but it sounds like hes still confident in his ability. Id be willing to give him a shot considering our secondary situation as long as he comes cheap.

but maybe Manning could upgrade the Patriots 4th or 5th CB spot initially, and get a chance to prove he can still be among the top 3.

This guy is no longer in Chicago because he wanted more playing time, not less. Manning obviously sees himself as starter material, and at one time so did Chicago... thus the 3rd round pick and $20 million contract they ended up cutting him for.

Same goes for Ty Law. I don't think either of these guys are walking on our team at this point to be our $400,000 5th CB.

EDIT: Even if we wanted them.

Last edited:

I think the pre-season has made the bandwagon ride a lot less pleasant. Nothing against the bandwagon picking up new fans, but I don't understand how there are people who keep switching favourite teams every year.

At any rate, I think it's lame to hold this guy hostage to that action anymore. Are we still hating on Adam Jones? People change. I have no clue whether there's any value in bringing this dude in here, but I wouldn't say no because of off field issues if he's not currently under any league penalties.

Maybe he could be a poor man's time-machine Ty Law?

Last edited:
At any rate, I think it's lame to hold this guy hostage to that action anymore. Are we still hating on Adam Jones? People change. I have no clue whether there's any value in bringing this dude in here, but I wouldn't say no because of off field issues if he's not currently under any league penalties.

I'm all for the "football players aren't saints" mantra if we're going to apply it to his off-field crap (and yes, we should be hating on Pacman because he's a piece of **** as a human being), but he was also a cancer in the locker room, which does have an affect on his football playing.

As for having 3 INTs in the playoffs against the Eagles, Larry Brown did that in the Super Bowl and then was out of the league within two years after being given a huge contract by the Raiders.

If the Patriots picked up Manning, the same people who are talking abotu Fernando Bryant being awful would, in a couple weeks, start saying the same about Manning. Unless it's **** Lane and Deion Sanders manning the corners with Mike Haynes playing nickel, someone's going to be upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back