PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Army changes policy regarding professional sports draftees

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see the the movie Stop Loss either, but I'm willing to bet that I know a lot more about the Army than you do.

I'm well aware of what an enlisted man's contract says. If you think that somehow makes it morally defensible, then that's your business. Ask a soldier what he thinks about stop-loss next time you meet one. See if he thinks the government has rewarded him for his allegiance to his country when they involuntarily extend the length of active duty he initially agreed to.

I'll tell you this: it's a bigger blow to morale than any anti-war protest.

Honestly, I don't think you are well aware of a damn thing about what ANY military enlistment contract says. Its not just the "enlisted men" who have had their contracts extended. Many officers have had theirs extended as well. Many people who were "retired" or "inactive" were recalled to duty by the government. Its part of the contract that they signed. You do understand that ignorance is not an excuse, yes?

The only reason that "Stop-Loss" is a bigger blow to morale is because the media and anti-war people have played it up as if it was something new. When, in reality, the clause about being recalled to duty or having your tour extended has been in the contract for decades.

The fact that it's in small print makes it all the more cowardly. The Reserves exist for a national security emergency. They are not supposed to be replacements for active duty soldiers.

We ought to be treating our troops with honesty and respect, not slimy underhandedness like this.

You clearly don't have a understanding of what the Reserve is for. Here you go. Here is the Mission Statement.

http://www.armyreserve.army.mil/ARWEB/MISSION/Mission+Statement.htm
The Army Reserve's mission, under Title 10 of the U.S. code, is to provide trained and ready Soldiers and units with the critical combat service support and combat support capabilities necessary to support nation strategy during peacetime, contingencies and war.

Pretty self explanatory.

I didn't see the the movie Stop Loss either, 1 but I'm willing to bet that I know a lot more about the Army than you do.

2 I'm well aware of what an enlisted man's contract says. 3 If you think that somehow makes it morally defensible, then that's your business. 4 Ask a soldier what he thinks about stop-loss next time you meet one. See if he thinks the government has rewarded him for his allegiance to his country when they involuntarily extend the length of active duty he initially agreed to.

I'll tell you this: it's a bigger blow to morale than any anti-war protest.

5 The fact that it's in small print makes it all the more cowardly. The Reserves exist for a national security emergency. They are not supposed to be replacements for active duty soldiers.

We ought to be treating our troops with honesty and respect, not slimy underhandedness like this.

I'm going to respond to the bold comments in order:

1 I'd take that bet with absolutley no reservations. I may lose, but I don't think so.

2 If you were well aware of what the contract said, I don't think you would have worded your original post the way you did.

3 How is it not "morally defensible" to hold someone to a contract they signed? I would love to hear that explanation.

4 I don't have to ask any soldier's this question thier answers would be as varied as they themselves are. Again, they signed the contract, if they didn't read it, that is thier own fault.

5 There is no small print. It's just a long contract. Again, if they don't read it, it is thier own fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes