PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Anyone else read this and go HUH????

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I was reading this Peter King Article and saw that the Broncos had offered up 2 1st rounders, a 2nd rounder and 2 -3rd rounders as well as Al Wilson, for the #2 pick in the draft. I had to re-read that again and say HUH?

I don't get this from 2 perspectives. Denver must have KNOWN that Wilson wasn't going to pass his physical, so why bother offering him? Also, the league would have voided the deal as soon as Wilson flunked the physical.

This just doesn't make any sense. Why wouldn't Shanahan offer up someone else or another draft pick. Especially if you are offering up Wilson, who, when healthy, is your best LB.

Now, for the other HUH? And that was for Matt Millen. Here you are at a 24-72 record, you need an influx of talent, and you'd rather have one high pick that hurts you tremendously against the cap vs. 5 picks that, at best, would have about a 1/3 of the cap impact of the one high pick.

No wonder the Lions aren't moving up in the world.

Denver would have been in a hole for years if they made that trade.

Detroit yet again shows why it is one of the worst franchises in all of sports.

I don't know what the all important chart says but a late #1, late #2 and two late #3s to move from #2 to whatever Denver was before trading up, #20 or whatever, isn't THAT great of a deal. I probably would have wanted it had I been a Lions fan but they're all likely to be late picks so I don't think it was a no brainer.

Huh?

I don't know what the all important chart says but a late #1, late #2 and two late #3s to move from #2 to whatever Denver was before trading up, #20 or whatever, isn't THAT great of a deal. I probably would have wanted it had I been a Lions fan but they're all likely to be late picks so I don't think it was a no brainer.

BBFan -
The offer was made AFTER Denver had moved up. They were offering up #17 this year, their 1st round next year, 2 thirds THIS year, and their 2nd this year.

5 picks in all, 4 of them this year PLUS a player.

BBFan -
The offer was made AFTER Denver had moved up. They were offering up #17 this year, their 1st round next year, 2 thirds THIS year, and their 2nd this year.

yep...detroit is moronic

BBFan -

Let me make sure everyone understands, I don't disagree with you.

However when you look at previous trade downs from #1 or #2 (they're probably mostly from #1) I'm not sure it's that great of an offer to go from #1 to #17 then get a #1, #2 and two #3s all in the range of, say, 25th.

Again, though, I would have made the trade but precedent says those trade downs cost A LOT.

Using the chart that I hate so much (because it's overused) :

#2 = 2600

#17 = 950 (#1 this year)
#25 = 720 (#1 next year assuming mid level playoff finish)
#57 = 330 (#2 this year assuming mid level playoff finish)
#84 = 170 (#3 this year, 20th in the round, that's about where Denver was)
#89 = 145 (#3 next year assuming mid level playoff finish)

Did I do that right ? (I see the two #3s were this year but it wouldn't change much).

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/6330687
All that adds up to 2,315 without the assumed deflation of picks next year.

Last edited:
That is just way too much to give up for one player, especially a wide receiver, IMO.

I wouldn't have made the trade either, if I were Detroit. Heck, Belcihcik could have offered him ALL his picks. Why not? He was pissing them away regardless. I mean, come on, how much was a lte 2nd, 3rds worth this year anyway? Belichick apparently didn't think too highly of those picks.

It's Matt Millen, folks. This shouldn't be surprising.

Using the chart that I hate so much (because it's overused) :

#2 = 2600

#17 = 950 (#1 this year)
#25 = 720 (#1 next year assuming mid level playoff finish)
#57 = 330 (#2 this year assuming mid level playoff finish)
#84 = 170 (#3 this year, 20th in the round, that's about where Denver was)
#89 = 145 (#3 next year assuming mid level playoff finish)

Did I do that right ? (I see the two #3s were this year but it wouldn't change much).

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/6330687
All that adds up to 2,315 without the assumed deflation of picks next year.

Now, add in a veteran player and that is the deal they were offering.

Why didn't they just trade a 4th rdr for Randy Moss instead?:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back