Welcome to PatsFans.com

OT: Anyone Else Ever Sky-Dive?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by shirtsleeve, Feb 24, 2006.

1. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Reading the recent NASCAR post, I began to wonder if anyone else has tried any adrenalline sports. Hence the thread. Personally, cleared level II AFF before my heart blew out. Anyone else?

2. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

re:

I jumped out of a plane several years ago.

Tandem. Did it just for kicks. I'm actually not fond of heights.

Hired another jumper to record it, and we shook hands in mid air. All on tape.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  3. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,298 / 15 / -23

#61 Jersey

I used to skydive regularly and owned my own gear. Quit jumping about 13 years ago after 191 skydives. I have fond memories of that time in my life, but it really is an all-consuming hobby that eats up your weekends. If you have any questions about the sport I'd be happy to answer.

4. checkedout

checkedout On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sure, it's a blast!!

5. borg

borg In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +621 / 27 / -29

Went to Orlando over the weekend with the family and stopped off at Skyventure...a verticle wind tunnel that simulates free falling. Even my 5 year old geared up. Since my wife would never let me jump from a plane, this is as close as I will ever get to that rush. And...the 4 minutes of wind tunnel time was awesome...and the 8 hours of walking around crowded theme parks was brutal.

6. CTPatsFan

CTPatsFan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

No, too chicken *****.

7. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +400 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

Never sky dived. I was attached to the 82nd Airborne Division when I was in the Army.

We had a saying that the only thing falls from the sky,other than weather, were fools and bird****.

8. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +570 / 50 / -7

#75 Jersey

No, I've never sky-dived, but I did once summon the courage to ask my wife if I could go away with my brothers for the weekend to see the Pats in lieu of taking her out for our anniversary. That too was a life threatening experience!

9. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +179 / 2 / -3

Actually I'm afraid of widths.

But I've considered a tandem dive many times - but my wife would kill me if I didn't die in the attempt.

I beleive tandem is really the only way to go for a novice to get any freefall time.

10. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +2,298 / 15 / -23

#61 Jersey

Your wife needs to get her priorities straight.

11. Boston Boxer

Boston Boxer U.S. Air Force Retired PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +134 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

I am a member of the US Air Force and have 391 jumps...I do not jump any more due to a knee problem.

12. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +2,298 / 15 / -23

#61 Jersey

Just curious, what kind of gear did you use on those jumps? Was the canopy a square or a modified round?

13. Boston Boxer

Ratings:
    +134 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

I have always jumped with a ram-air chute (square) both at Bragg and Yuma. It is easier to steer. I guess the round ones are hard to manuver and you tend to hit hard.

14. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Never have, never will unless forced under penalty of death.

15. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +2,298 / 15 / -23

#61 Jersey

I trained with old military T-10 round canopies, then went to a para-commander modified round (also military surplus). Then, of course, a square. The reason I asked was that it surprises me a knee problem would keep you from jumping a square, being that your landings should be relatively easy on the legs.

16. Boston Boxer

Ratings:
    +134 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

no, you are right. I can still physically jump, but i am medically disqualified by the military to jump anymore. I could go to a civilian jump zone and still jump no problem.

17. Harrison37

Harrison37 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Static line jumping from a UH-60 Black Hawk is kinda like skydiving. Your canopy doesn't fully deploy until about the sixth 1000-count as opposed to the third when you exit a fixed-wing aircraft like a C-130 or C-17. (OK- not really like skydiving, but fun nonetheless) ;)

18. ch3oh

ch3oh On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yes, static line solo at Pepperill MA about 20 (?) years ago. Don't like heights so it was quite a thrill. We got waved off the first day due to high winds. Me and one of the other guys were tempted to sneak down and tie a rock to the wind sock.

19. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hey! Pepperell was my drop zone too! Never did a static or tandem. Started level I AFF. Did it in the fall. Had to repeat in the spring (it expired), cleared Level II that spring. Then, as I said, the ticker went south. Docs grounded me for life.

The reason why I started this thread was to see how many of us are adrenalline junkies. Seems like there's quite a few. It struck me, though, that many are not, and dont get sports like NASCAR, snowboarding, etc. Basically, any extreme sport. I wonder what the correllation is between that thought and how the fans enjoy football. I'm guessing that those of us who are x-sport kinda guys (and girls) enjoy football for the defense, and those who are not are basically offensive minded. Whatdja think?

20. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I started jumping shortly after my 18th birthday in '87 and built up around 200 or so in total. I lost my logbook around jump 120 so I'm not entirely sure where I stand now but its close to 200. I ended up going to college at 19 (Mass Bay CC) and then transferred to a private school in FL the folowing year. I couldn't swing the added costs of private school over public so I had to turn to my parents for help and they wern't too particularly fond of Skydiving. So I was grounded if I wanted any access to the checkbook :( I never did get around to jumping again after graduation, but I've been thinking about it a lot these last couple of years.