PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Any of you have DirecTV but no landline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pheenix11

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I would like to get Directv but we dumped our useless landline years ago and just use our wireless phones. Supposedly Directv needs a phone line plugged in but then I have seen others say its really not necessary. I refuse to pay Verizon $17 a month for a landline I don't want or need.

I received a strange response from Directv when I asked them:

"Yes, we do require a permanent land-based phone connection to the DIRECTV System for sports subscriptions such as NFL Sunday Ticket. However, if there's no phone connection, we may add the service but will need to connect the phone line within 30-days."

Sounds like to me they have to SAY you need a phone line for blackout restrictions but in reality they don't give a shyt as long as they don't know about it.

My Cable company is a POS and doesn't carry the NFL network so its not looking good for me finding a way to see the possibly historic game against the Giants unless I go to a local bar (Tampa area) and watch the game on their crappy 10 year old standard TV's and not be able to hear a thing.

Have any of you had Directv installed without a landline?

I would like to get Directv but we dumped our useless landline years ago and just use our wireless phones. Supposedly Directv needs a phone line plugged in but then I have seen others say its really not necessary. I refuse to pay Verizon $17 a month for a landline I don't want or need.

I received a strange response from Directv when I asked them:

"Yes, we do require a permanent land-based phone connection to the DIRECTV System for sports subscriptions such as NFL Sunday Ticket. However, if there's no phone connection, we may add the service but will need to connect the phone line within 30-days."

Sounds like to me they have to SAY you need a phone line for blackout restrictions but in reality they don't give a shyt as long as they don't know about it.

My Cable company is a POS and doesn't carry the NFL network so its not looking good for me finding a way to see the possibly historic game against the Giants unless I go to a local bar (Tampa area) and watch the game on their crappy 10 year old standard TV's and not be able to hear a thing.

Have any of you had Directv installed without a landline?

You absolutely DO NOT need a telephone line to have Direct TV. I have Sunday Ticket/HD the whole shibang..never had a telephone line EVER hooked up to it for one second and I have had it for over 10 years in a few houses now. The only thing you cannot do it order a payper view with your remote without a telephone line attached. You can still call in and get a fight or a movie for pay per view but I believe they hit for a fee for it that way.

Sunday Ticket,,,no need what so ever. Best service outhere IMO...compared to cable ect....plus Pats out of market every sunday? No brainer.

My father works for Direc tv, I own it as well the only reason you would need a lane line is the DVR receivers do constant updates and occasionally ask for the phoneline to do such a update.
My take is the only reason they ask for a landline so they know where the equipment is.
A good number of customers have signed up for the service only to have it running out of a different location.
For example someone who owns a small bar or restaurant wants to have direc tv for their patrons but don't want to pay the business cost's which are much more expensive.
Use their house address then move equipment to that location, only way to know for sure is a landline location test.
Also all your customer information if you happen to call them such as billing and programs are found thru your land line number.
My father has been able to get around the landline issue with customers.
Your best bet is going to a small private dealer who will do anything for a commission.
Hope this helped a little.

My father works for Direc tv, I own it as well the only reason you would need a lane line is the DVR receivers do constant updates and occasionally ask for the phoneline to do such a update.

Are you sure they can't do the updates through the satelite?

I have DirectTV and Vonage (internet based phone). Since my computer and TV are on different ends of the house, I didn't bother hookup the phone connection.

Are you sure they can't do the updates through the satelite?

I have DirectTV and Vonage (internet based phone). Since my computer and TV are on different ends of the house, I didn't bother hookup the phone connection.

I'm pretty sure they can update through the air. The software on my DVR has been changed more than once, and I don't have a phone line connected to it.

You do NOT need a phone line.

Only to order pay per view. That can be done via call in for a bit of a fee.

I had a phone line for about a year, but moved our receiver 8 years ago, never reattached and have upgraded equipment.

You absolutely DO NOT need a telephone line to have Direct TV. I have Sunday Ticket/HD the whole shibang..never had a telephone line EVER hooked up to it for one second and I have had it for over 10 years in a few houses now. The only thing you cannot do it order a payper view with your remote without a telephone line attached. You can still call in and get a fight or a movie for pay per view but I believe they hit for a fee for it that way.

Sunday Ticket,,,no need what so ever. Best service outhere IMO...compared to cable ect....plus Pats out of market every sunday? No brainer.

Ditto.

I too have never hooked a phone line to my DirectTV, and yes, the Satellite just updated my DVR a few weeks ago. I have Sunday ticket, and Extra Innings, and have bought fights and pay per view via my remote, and have never had a problem.he guy who installed it told me the phone line was not necessary.

What pats-blue said. No phone line is required. Also, the latest DVRs the HR2X series have network capability, which gives DIRECTV video on demand capability by downloading requested material via the net. It's also going to allow authorization of PPV in the near future (this feature is in beta now). The PPV authorization is really the main reason for having a phone line if you want to select the PPV movie by remote. Without the phone line you can still order PPV online or on the phone. Online it's the usual price, by phone there is the surcharge mentioned above.

And software updates, like stated above, are downloaded from the sat.

For out of market fans it's a must. It's ridiculously expensive, but they know they got ya and I gladly pay (though this year, I would have only missed the Miami game so far.......).

Does DirectTV charge $5 a month for not having the landline hooked up? Just curious, I have Dish Network and they do charge if it's not hooked up. They just upgraded their receivers to allow you to hook them up to the Internet negating the need for the phone line.

Here's an idea. I would order phone service. Ask Verizon what is the cheapest package they have without a hookup fee. Probably 35-40 bucks.
Order Directv the day after the phone is hooked up. When Directv gets to your house you will have a landline. As their guy is driving out of your driverway call Verizon and have your phone disconnected. It'll cost you a buck or two. And, you have to haggle with Directv about it.

I had a landline when I first signed up for it, but it has been disconnected from the receiver ever since. You just can't order PPVs, but Sunday Ticket and all those blackout regulations work fine with just the dish.

Does DirectTV charge $5 a month for not having the landline hooked up? Just curious, I have Dish Network and they do charge if it's not hooked up. They just upgraded their receivers to allow you to hook them up to the Internet negating the need for the phone line.

I think Dish has a couple of $5 fees, but I don't think any of them have to do with the phone line. I've never been charged that

I don't get charged for it.

with the phone line connected to the receiver, you get on screen caller id. I've never ordered pay-per-view. My older TIVO branded DVR calls out at 2:30am once a week or so. I get annoy-a-grams if I unplug the phone line.

Well thats good news. I asked the idiots in Best Buy and they looked at me like I had 3 heads, I don't know why I thought they would be able to help.

That was the only thing holding me back from getting Directv. My cable company has really been sticking it to us with no NFL Network. I think maybe its time to stick back, hehe.

Thanks for the responses :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back