PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Any mixed marriages out there (football-wise, I mean)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I grew up in Maine... Mrs. Rover, on Long Guyland... so when we met, she was a (gulp) Jets fan. So was/is her whole family.

However, we lived in Maine for 20 years after marrying, and she became a Pats fan to the point where when the Pats played the Jets, she'd be rooting for our guys.

Now we've moved back to Long Guyland (her parents are getting on in years), and, despite her feeling bad for her sibs when the Jets lose, she STILL roots for the Pats... she just doesn't tell her family about it. LOL... now that's my girl! :D

I grew up in Maine... Mrs. Rover, on Long Guyland... so when we met, she was a (gulp) Jets fan. So was/is her whole family.
I couldn't deal with that. Sometimes irreconcilable differences truly are irreconcilable.

However, we lived in Maine for 20 years after marrying, and she became a Pats fan to the point where when the Pats played the Jets, she'd be rooting for our guys.

Now we've moved back to Long Guyland (her parents are getting on in years), and, despite her feeling bad for her sibs when the Jets lose, she STILL roots for the Pats... she just doesn't tell her family about it. LOL... now that's my girl! :D
Some things in marriage exceed the importance of love...

Not married (yet) but lucky for me my girl is a huge Pats fan. Enjoys sundays just as much as I do!

I'm the sports fan in my household. My guy hates sports. Its like pulling teeth trying to get him to watch a game with me. It's actually really weird because he played football in high school but he still asks me whats going on in a game on the occasion he does watch.

When I was growing up back in Minnesota, Vikings games were played in our house. As a child, I watched and cheered but barely understood the game. I wasn't even aware we went to the super bowl, hah! When I went away to Massachusetts for college, I found that I couldn't watch a Vikings football game anymore. They were almost never shown because it's just the wrong area. I started to forget the names of the players and many of them retired.

I graduated college and began working/living in Mass. My future husband and I started dating. He wasn't a big football fan at the time but he was loosely affiliated with both the Pats and Boston College football (his alma mater, and his father a math prof there). I began having a loose connection to the Pats as this time, mainly because I recognised a name: Randy Moss.

We dated for 7 years and it wasn't until a few years after we were married that either of us really got into football. It really wasn't until sometime just before joining these forums (yeah, I know, I missed out on a lot of the good stuff!). Now we are both huge Pats fans who won't miss a game. I guess it took a while but we finally caught the bug! I like to tell people my fandom was a requirement of our vows but it's more that neither one of us was really a football fan until recently.

Last edited:
Mixed marriages have consequences. My mother was New York oriented and my father Boston oriented. As a result, our family is all over the place.

My mother was a Giants fan and my father was a Pats fan. She eventually became a Pats fan because she followed Parcells and the Meggetts, Jumbos, of the Parcells world up to Foxboro.

For me, growing up in Virginia, I saw the Giants more often because they were good and played the Redskins (local team) all the time, but my father was far more passionate about his love of the Pats. I grew up more a Pats fan, but quite sympathetic toward the Giants...until I went to Foxboro in 1994. I was all in on the Pats after that, but still held on to my Giants sympathies until the game that shall not be mentioned. The Giants are more or less banished from my house, and my mother is the same way; no sympathy for them now.

My brother went in a crazy strange direction and became a Raiders fan before quitting on the NFL altogether. But he's a Bruins fan, and I'm a Rangers fan.

TL;DR version: Mixed marriages produce houses like the one in that dumb NFL pro shop commercial. My father would be like that old guy sitting on the chair, saying; what the **** has happened to my family??

It was a condition of marriage that my wonderful daughter's husband become a Patriots fan. He was one of those MIT engineering types oblivious to football.

My husband grew up in Queens and is a huge Jets fan. I grew up on the North Shore (Nawth Show-ah) of Boston and am a huge Pats fan. We describe ourselves as being in a mixed marriage, sports wise. Love overcomes all! In our 21 years of marriage, he has had to suffer through many years of Pats dominating the Jets. When I talk about all the Pats' Super Bowl appearances and wins, and make fun of his team's one win decades ago, he comes back with "our win percentage is 100%!" - ruefully, of course. Poor guy - he's a Mets fan, too - at least we can root against the Yankees together! Judy

Spent a season in Colorado in '99. In a bar I used to go to there was one couple. She was a Packers fan and he was a Vikings fan. Both showed up in their jerseys and would sit next to each other at the bar, watching both games… Except when their teams played each other. Then they'd sit at opposite ends of the bar. :D

My husband grew up in Queens and is a huge Jets fan. I grew up on the North Shore (Nawth Show-ah) of Boston and am a huge Pats fan. We describe ourselves as being in a mixed marriage, sports wise. Love overcomes all! In our 21 years of marriage, he has had to suffer through many years of Pats dominating the Jets. When I talk about all the Pats' Super Bowl appearances and wins, and make fun of his team's one win decades ago, he comes back with "our win percentage is 100%!" - ruefully, of course. Poor guy - he's a Mets fan, too - at least we can root against the Yankees together! Judy

Yeah, Mrs. Rover is a Mets fan too, and we were married in September of 1986. That was rough. LOL

And you're right... NO one hates the Yanks like a Mets fan. :D

I'm in a mixed marriage. I'm a sports fan and she is not.
We have two children. One is a sports fan and one is not.

Similar situation here, I love the Pats and my wife hates football. She isn't just indifferent to the game but actually really dislikes it, mainly due to the fact that her prior ex-boyfriend was a real D-bag about the game. (One of those guys who still relives his glory days every twenty minutes to anyone who passes by, even though his glory days were high school football which was over 10 years ago for him, when he weighed 100 pounds less... Still lives with his parents... But I digress.) So football sort of has a negative connotation for her. But as the marriage goes on it gets better. :)

On a side note, she's a Yankees fan, so that's also a problem.

Not even fake posting I wouldn't marry someone who is a fan of another team I don't care what sort of psycho that makes me, deal with it. My wife was forced to become a Pats fan like a Christian Woman marrying a Muslim in Iran.

I'm the sports fan in my household. My guy hates sports.

Ditto, which is presumably why I've been talking football with all of you here for so long!

Fortunately, it is Mr. Patchick's only flaw.
smiley-angelic002.gif

My current girlfriend is a steelers fan because her family are die hard steelers fans from around the Pittsburgh area. She roots for the Pats and has some patriot gear as she is slowly becoming more of a pats fan muhahaha. She comes from a huge football watching family and is extremely knowledgeable which is awesome.

Her family roots for the Pats for me when they are playing and I kinda root for the steelers to be a good guy. I know that's blasphemy around here and there is a lot of steeler hate, but it works out. Let's just say last year when we were at the game with her family I just shut my mouth and smiled haha. I'm very fortunate to have a girlfriend that is into football and has a great family even if they are dirty Steeler fans.

I'm not in one, but one of my best friends (who is a NE fan) married a guy who is a MIA fan (he grew up in Miami so at least has some excuse).

They worked it out somehow :)

Like quite a few households, I'm a Sports fan (NFL, NHL) but the wife isn't (with a shutout to Patchick and a few others for breaking that norm for households).

Fortunately the wife knows some important basics: (a) It's just creepy to have anything but contempt for the Jets, (b) BB actually isn't a robot and sometimes happy off camera, (c) Tom Brady is actually a great QB and not simply 'that football guy Giselle married', (d) when it's the right time to leave me alone to watch the game, (e) when it's time for her to also watch/put up with the game (which, unfortunately, started with the comment "that NY Giant player can't catch the ball like that can he? [referring to that late 4th quarter miracle catch in the 2007 SB]).

The wife is a die-hard Cowboys fan, although I have grown to support her team as best I can, since she does mine.

She refers to us as "CowPatty" fans. I kid you not.

The wife is a die-hard Cowboys fan, although I have grown to support her team as best I can, since she does mine.

She refers to us as "CowPatty" fans. I kid you not.

"Cowpatty", funny.

Sounds like you love your wife a lot. There's no other explanation for allowing oneself to like a Jerry Jones's product is there??
I guess you can always look at it as 'it could be worse -- she could have asked me to like the Jets':).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes