PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Any fans in Hong Kong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patjew

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like I'm moving there in January and I'm just wondering what options there are for watching/taping games, getting together with fellow fans, etc.

Sorry if this is too OT to be posted here.

and your moving there why?

Sorry can't help, but don't forget this...

img9683128.jpg

Make the trek to Beijing for us. You can be Christopher Price for a day! :D

Remix 6 said:

They have THE best Chinese food there... even better than in Chinatown.

Of course over there they just call it "food".

Hey Patjew - maybe you can attend next year's China Bowl! And you won't have to be watching it at 7:30am like us.

That's going to be an interesting day... I've already marked the calendar. I'm going to have to get up at 5:30am just so I can start drinking and be peaking at gametime.

Remix 6 said:
Being transferred there to run our Asian operations. I'll probably be there 2 years, give or take a year. My wife and kids are good with it, I love HK, it's a great opportunity, so I'm psyched.

Seymour93 said:

img9683128.jpg

I'll be there, I gar-on-tee it! I'll report best I can.

not in HK sorry, but I'm only an hour and a half away in Manila. Come Visit!

Seymour93 said:

img9683128.jpg

LOL that picture is hilarious! The Chinese characters mean China Bowl, literally. Which is funny because in Chinese it would be read as a bowl, as in the kind used in eating. In America we come to look at the term "bowl" differently depending on context.. but in Chinese there are no such thing.

I wonder how the Chinese will think when they see China Bowl :D

Patjew said:
Being transferred there to run our Asian operations. I'll probably be there 2 years, give or take a year. My wife and kids are good with it, I love HK, it's a great opportunity, so I'm psyched.

if you travel around Asia, be sure to visit Malaysia, beautiful country with a good mix of industrialization and native culture.

Patjew said:
Looks like I'm moving there in January and I'm just wondering what options there are for watching/taping games, getting together with fellow fans, etc.

I've been told those little bits in the pork fried rice don't count.

Better get a ruling just to be sure.:D

NEM said:
Sounds like a good restaurant. Eat at the China Bowl tonight.

Hrm... That is a good restaurant name, maybe I should consider it when I open up my own when I retire:)

smg93 said:
not in HK sorry, but I'm only an hour and a half away in Manila. Come Visit!
Maybe I will! I do go there for biz occasionally.

edgecy said:
if you travel around Asia, be sure to visit Malaysia, beautiful country with a good mix of industrialization and native culture.
Thanks for the advice. I've been to Thailand and Singapore, but never Malaysia.

NEM said:
Holy cow, you will be a minority of one in HK.

Do you think that any of those chinese speak hebrew?

Will you introduce them to gefilte fish and matzoh balls?

Passover in Hong Kong must be a real trip.

Is the local rabbi's name Irving Wong?
There's about 3000 of my brethren there. I hear that the hot and sour matzoh ball soup is delicious.

Patjew said:
Maybe I will! I do go there for biz occasionally.

Please email me if you do. I'll show you around. It'll be good to meet another Patriot fan!

Patjew said:

Ok to answer the question, make sure you get the right cable service, the one that provides the NFL. I remember that there were 2 major cable services there, one had the NFL and the other one didn't. They'll show the superbowl and playoff games. Your best bet to fellow fans would be just to hang out with the foreign community and goto bars. There used to be an annual superbowl party there (yes only 1 party for the entire superbowl) so you can see if that's still going on. Overall HK is not very high on football, Tom Brady or Peyton Manning can walk down the street and only be recognized as a tall foreigner, whereas a famous Basketball player would be mobbed.

Patjew said:

Good luck and get a slingbox.

www.slingbox.com

NEM said:
Is the local rabbi's name Irving Wong?

I think it's Chen-lo Goldstein.

Patjew said:

I was there in 2001 for the Pats incredible SB win and it was awesome.....I know that many find that hard to believe....My wife is from there....and we went for a month to see her family.....just as the pats beat Oakland in the snow bowl.....then on to Pitt.....Anyways, on to the SB...and I had to get up at 5:00 am.....catch a mini bus to kowloon....and then a subway to Tsim tsa joi (sp) and then a cab to an american originated pub to catch the kickoff at 6:30 am........and I sit down at the bar and order up a cup of coffee (which is gawd awful in HK unless you hit a starbucks or one other seattle originated coffee shop)........until I notice that two american guys next to me are drinking what seemed to be bloody mary's........and they say.....what the hell do you want to drink this crappy coffee for.......so I order a beer,......at 630 am.........and proceed to have the best SB experience that I have ever had....with the exception of being at the SB live (which I have yet to do).....anyways.....I love HK.....great place.....incredible food.......GREAT SCHOOL SYSTEMS......every kid wears a uniform there and they don't kid around.....my biggest reason for not living over there came down to being a bit alienated from everything american.....all of our TV over here comes on at the exact opposite times over there......at least that is how it seemed when I was there.......very little US news or sports shown at "night" over there.......the other thing was that you saw very few caucasian or american folks over there......I really missed seeing and talking with americans..........kind of weird until you go through it.......lastly....golf is ridiculously expensive over there....unless you go to mainland china.......since I am a big golfer.....that is a major negative.....and last but not least....the temptation women wise (if you like asian women)....is downright dangerous!!!!!!!!! ;).....good luck to you and keep in touch!!!!

stcjones said:
I was there in 2001 for the Pats incredible SB win and it was awesome.....I know that many find that hard to believe....My wife is from there....and we went for a month to see her family.....just as the pats beat Oakland in the snow bowl.....then on to Pitt.....Anyways, on to the SB...and I had to get up at 5:00 am.....catch a mini bus to kowloon....and then a subway to Tsim tsa joi (sp) and then a cab to an american originated pub to catch the kickoff at 6:30 am........and I sit down at the bar and order up a cup of coffee (which is gawd awful in HK unless you hit a starbucks or one other seattle originated coffee shop)........until I notice that two american guys next to me are drinking what seemed to be bloody mary's........and they say.....what the hell do you want to drink this crappy coffee for.......so I order a beer,......at 630 am.........and proceed to have the best SB experience that I have ever had....with the exception of being at the SB live (which I have yet to do).....anyways.....I love HK.....great place.....incredible food.......GREAT SCHOOL SYSTEMS......every kid wears a uniform there and they don't kid around.....my biggest reason for not living over there came down to being a bit alienated from everything american.....all of our TV over here comes on at the exact opposite times over there......at least that is how it seemed when I was there.......very little US news or sports shown at "night" over there.......the other thing was that you saw very few caucasian or american folks over there......I really missed seeing and talking with americans..........kind of weird until you go through it.......lastly....golf is ridiculously expensive over there....unless you go to mainland china.......since I am a big golfer.....that is a major negative.....and last but not least....the temptation women wise (if you like asian women)....is downright dangerous!!!!!!!!! ;).....good luck to you and keep in touch!!!!
Thanks for the informative and entertaining response! Hopefully I'll be watching the Pats in the Super Bowl at the same bar this year!! I like a good beer buzz early in the morning.

Lucky for me I do not golf.

I will definitely be posting from HK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes